Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a New XD Titan XD CC Diesel, less that 700 miles on it. This past weekend, I towed my 26' 5k lb. camper up to Lake McConahey Neb. From Frederick CO, to Ogallala, Neb. I got 10.2 MPG on the way there, and on the way home I got average 9.4 MPG. It this normal fuel mileage for towing an 5 thousand pound bumper to camper. My average speed was 70-75 MPH.
I know it is still breaking in. This just does not seem normal? I had the transmission in Drive, and Tow mode was turned on. My RPM range was 1700-1850.

Thanks for any input.

·
38 Posts
That is about what I am getting. I pull a Winnebago micro mini with mine and get about 10mpg in the 70-80mph range. My truck also has a 6" lift.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's normal. The faster you tow a box the less you will get. Tow 60-65 you get gains. Tow a flatbed with a tractor you'll get gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have to try lowering speed to 60-65, and see the outcome. Thanks.

·
583 Posts
This past weekend I towed my 7x14 trailer from here to DC and back. I got 13.4 going up (empty) and 11 coming back (with a couple of tons in it). It's a pretty tall box and I can't say I was trying to save fuel. Speeds were with traffic in the 60s and 70s.

Once thing is certain - speed is almost everything when it comes to towing mileage, especially for big rectangular boxes.

·
273 Posts
Hello All, I have a New XD Titan XD CC Diesel, less that 700 miles on it. This past weekend, I towed my 26' 5k lb. camper up to Lake McConahey Neb. From Frederick CO, to Ogallala, Neb. I got 10.2 MPG on the way there, and on the way home I got average 9.4 MPG. It this normal fuel mileage for towing an 5 thousand pound bumper to camper. My average speed was 70-75 MPH.
I know it is still breaking in. This just does not seem normal? I had the transmission in Drive, and Tow mode was turned on. My RPM range was 1700-1850.

Thanks for any input.
are... are you me?

I've not towed to nebraska though, so you can't be me. I've towed our camper to moab and walden this year. 10-11 doing 75 for chunks. I'd say you are probably spot on. In the Tundra, 75mph wasn't really an option (or it would be 4-5mpg). So I have yet to do an apples to apples, which would be 60-65 mpg towing. Probably jump to 12 I'm guessing.

·
1,331 Posts
Pretty normal, I get the same towing across KS into CO.

Also the KS and NE prairie country is pretty windy which will hurt mileage when towing a big box.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are... are you me?

I've not towed to nebraska though, so you can't be me. I've towed our camper to moab and walden this year. 10-11 doing 75 for chunks. I'd say you are probably spot on. In the Tundra, 75mph wasn't really an option (or it would be 4-5mpg). So I have yet to do an apples to apples, which would be 60-65 mpg towing. Probably jump to 12 I'm guessing.
LOL! I have a trip planned for later this summer to Chamber up near Walden. Also, up to Steamboat lake in July. I am reserved to the fact that if I get 10 MPG @ 75mph. I am doing pretty good. I am cool with that. 0 - 55 MPH, the cummins 5.0 does really well. 60mph, at just at or little over 1600 rpm. I have owned 3 Titans. 2005, 2017 Pro4X leased, and 2018 XD SV Diesel.

·
30 Posts
Pulled about 5000 lbs of sound/PA equipment thru the mountains of Tennessee (Nashville to Atlanta). Couldn't even feel the trailer, honestly. I know 5k isn't really anything, but i could sure feel it when braking in my V10 excursion, so I'm very happy with the XD to say the least. Oh yeah.. i also doubled the excursions gas mileage while towing too.. averaged 17.1 MPG @ around 75 MPH there and back!

·
583 Posts
It will get better as the engine breaks in. they recommend NOT towing until after 5k miles.
The owners manual says 500. Page 5-42:

"Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles
(805 kilometers). Your engine, axle or other
parts could be damaged."

·
273 Posts
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/mpg-challenge-most-efficient-truck-towing-listed-specs/ Interesting article from TFL showing the tow mileage they averaged with a bunch of vehicles. Titan really isn't that bad.
I wish they'd test against a 3/4 with the same trailer for kicks though. As, like it or not, people do cross-shop them. Interesting they left the Tundra off. I've learned that you shouldn't buy either Toyota if you want to tow anything though.

I think people wonder about towing MPG because, sadly, a lot of truck owners lie about MPG like it's pecker size. It's weird as heck.

·
267 Posts
We just got back from a weekend in Seward. I reset the current mpg at the start of the trip and after crossing two mountain passes each way we averaged 10.8 mpg. Right where that report says it should be.

·
7 Posts
I just towed flat country to upstate LA camping have 15k miles pulling camper in 4600 lb range and got 12.4 on the interstate at 68 in tow and cruse.Hoped for more but this has been average for all of our trips.

·
273 Posts
What is interesting is weight doesn’t seem to effect towing mpg, if you are towing 5k or 10k people seem to get the same mpg.
wind resistance plays more of a part than weight once you're moving. Most people that switch to 5th wheels actually get better MPG over a travel trailer, as they close the gap between the cab and the bed significantly enough to lessen the airflow disruption

1 - 20 of 62 Posts