Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
121 Posts
I think some of it is also your driving style, I pull a 9k 5th wheel and average 11 to 12 mpg but I only go 62-64 mph and my fuel mileage is pretty consistent

·
45 Posts
Hello All, I have a New XD Titan XD CC Diesel, less that 700 miles on it. This past weekend, I towed my 26' 5k lb. camper up to Lake McConahey Neb. From Frederick CO, to Ogallala, Neb. I got 10.2 MPG on the way there, and on the way home I got average 9.4 MPG. It this normal fuel mileage for towing an 5 thousand pound bumper to camper. My average speed was 70-75 MPH.
I know it is still breaking in. This just does not seem normal? I had the transmission in Drive, and Tow mode was turned on. My RPM range was 1700-1850.

Thanks for any input.
I towed 9klbs for about 400 miles with a couple of decent grades and I got 15MPG. you just need to slow it down and the MPG will increase. I find the best tow speed at 62MPH. Try that on your next trip and I bet you will get massively better results. I have taken the same trip without towing and I get 22MPG. but I can't do it all the time because it drives the wife crazy to go that slow. especially when the speed limit for 90% of the trip is 70 or 75MPH.

·
14 Posts
I tow a 29ft 5th wheel camper that weighs around 10K. Traveling about 60-65 on the flat Alabama highways I can get about 9.5-10 mpg on my 5.6 gas burner. I don't use Cruise as it will go into passing gear too much. Instead I will allow the truck to slow slightly going up hill and accelerate on the down hill. The trailer I have is also somewhat aerodynamic with side cutouts on the nose. The trailer hitch is adjusted to be as low as possible.

Attachments

·
24 Posts
Hello All, I have a New XD Titan XD CC Diesel, less that 700 miles on it. This past weekend, I towed my 26' 5k lb. camper up to Lake McConahey Neb. From Frederick CO, to Ogallala, Neb. I got 10.2 MPG on the way there, and on the way home I got average 9.4 MPG. It this normal fuel mileage for towing an 5 thousand pound bumper to camper. My average speed was 70-75 MPH.
I know it is still breaking in. This just does not seem normal? I had the transmission in Drive, and Tow mode was turned on. My RPM range was 1700-1850.

Thanks for any input.
I have 19,000 on my Platinum XD. I was told I would get "15mpg all day long towing a 4,000 enclosed trailer". I probably average about 7.5mpg and 150mpg for DEF. It is disgusting. I love my truck (and I have looked at all of them) but it is the absolute worst on the market for fuel and DEF consumption. I just installed a 50 gallon tank. Now i need to get 15 gal DEF tank I guess.

Most annoyed with the crappy Cummins motor.

·
24 Posts
I think some of it is also your driving style, I pull a 9k 5th wheel and average 11 to 12 mpg but I only go 62-64 mph and my fuel mileage is pretty consistent
With due respect, travelling between 60 and 65 today is slow. I wish I had the temperament to drive that slow. I am happy with 70-75.

My brother has a new 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. He pulls a 28 ft Airstream at 75-80 mph and gets 18 mpg at times. Our 5.0 Cummins can't even do 8 mpg. Something is seriously wrong. Especially when you have over 550 ft pounds of torque.

·
1,331 Posts
With due respect, travelling between 60 and 65 today is slow. I wish I had the temperament to drive that slow. I am happy with 70-75.

My brother has a new 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. He pulls a 28 ft Airstream at 75-80 mph and gets 18 mpg at times. Our 5.0 Cummins can't even do 8 mpg. Something is seriously wrong. Especially when you have over 550 ft pounds of torque.
Hmmm... not sure what to say, your brother better keep that because the tftl guys only avg 10mpg in their testing.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/mpg-challenge-most-efficient-truck-towing-listed-specs/

·
190 Posts
Let me guess, a car salesman said you would get 15 mpgs all day long pulling a 4,000 lb trailer. Should of done some research before you bought the truck with the crappy Cummins motor and while your at it do some research into the crappy EPA additions that cause your poor mpgs and def usage and you will see that running down the highway at 75-80 pulling a trailer will make it suck def even more, its designed that way. You can delete/tune that will solve your def usage problem.
I've averaged 15mpg driving 200km with a flat deck and a 1989 k1500 on it. I think the baby Cummins does pretty well 🤷

·
24 Posts
Let me guess, a car salesman said you would get 15 mpgs all day long pulling a 4,000 lb trailer. Should of done some research before you bought the truck with the "crappy" Cummins motor and while your at it do some research into the crappy EPA additions that cause your poor mpgs and def usage and you will see that running down the highway at 75-80 pulling a trailer will make it suck def even more, its designed that way. You can delete/tune that will solve your def usage problem.
You are certainly correct. More research would possibly have avoided some of this. I used this forum and I saw reports that boasted 23mpg (or somewhere around there) on the open road (no towing). The "crappy Cummins" was supposed to be a new motor so there was VERY little out there on it. Other matter I find interesting is that the dealer is still maintaining it should do way better. My DEF consumption is so far out of normal, no research would have identified that.

I am looking into a tuning solution. I understand it can be done and still meet EPA specs. I want to read more on the legality of doing this.

·
422 Posts
Let me guess, a car salesman said you would get 15 mpgs all day long pulling a 4,000 lb trailer. Should of done some research before you bought the truck with the "crappy" Cummins motor and while your at it do some research into the crappy EPA additions that cause your poor mpgs and def usage and you will see that running down the highway at 75-80 pulling a trailer will make it suck def even more, its designed that way. You can delete/tune that will solve your def usage problem.
You are certainly correct. More research would possibly have avoided some of this. I used this forum and I saw reports that boasted 23mpg (or somewhere around there) on the open road (no towing). The "crappy Cummins" was supposed to be a new motor so there was VERY little out there on it. Other matter I find interesting is that the dealer is still maintaining it should do way better. My DEF consumption is so far out of normal, no research would have identified that.

I am looking into a tuning solution. I understand it can be done and still meet EPA specs. I want to read more on the legality of doing this.
If you are going to tune with a emissions tune and not do a full delete you're going to burn through more def than you currently are.

·
1,331 Posts

You can tune and keep emissions but it probably will not solve your def usage, best is to just delete emissions.

·
1,331 Posts
If you are going to tune with a emissions tune and not do a full delete you're going to burn through more def than you currently are.

Can you explain how to best go about this process please?
Because it’ll create more soot and then it’ll pump more def in and possibly increase regen frequency.

Best choice is to delete emissions and wake this motor up to what it should be if the EPA wasn’t so restrictive.

·
422 Posts

Can you explain how to best go about this process please?
Any tuning will cause more fuel to be added. Any unburt fuel="soot" which gets collected in the dpf. Causing the ash load to increase. Then when the magical number is hit it goes through a regen. Only way to get rid of or lower def consumption is a full delete because this truck right now is running so lean to meet emissions standards.

·
121 Posts

Emission friendly tunes will not help your def usage, they are 50 state legal though as nothing changes as far as hardware and will void any powertrain warranty

·
166 Posts
griplife -- there is something amiss with your truck; mine is stock XD Platinum Cummins (2016) and pretty much all I do with it is tow an enclosed racecar trailer (a little over 8000lbs 8.5' high 20' long Pace Cargosport). I typically don't tow at those speeds mentioned above; I'm in the 62-68 mph range. today I hauled back from NJMP racetrack and averaged 12.4 mpg (which is right about where I always am; low 11.x to mid 12.x). my DEF usage is right about one 2.5 gal jug every 1300-1500 miles roughly. I very very seldom regen (I've noticed only 2 or 3 in the 6k miles that i've owned the truck) and when it does its a soft regen that is over in under 10 mins. hopefully the Nissan dealer can help you and figure out whats going on with yours

·
30 Posts
Checking back in - realized I crunched some numbers wrong. Trailer weighed less than I thought. I was pulling about 3,750 lbs (enclosed trailer + gear inside)

I did still average 17.1 mpg there and back staying at a pretty consistant 70-75 mph.

Pulled about 5000 lbs of sound/PA equipment thru the mountains of Tennessee (Nashville to Atlanta). Couldn't even feel the trailer, honestly. I know 5k isn't really anything, but i could sure feel it when braking in my V10 excursion, so I'm very happy with the XD to say the least. Oh yeah.. i also doubled the excursions gas mileage while towing too.. averaged 17.1 MPG @ around 75 MPH there and back!

·
212 Posts
Pulling our 3000lb hybrid with our 2016 gas XD pro-4x we got around 10MPG up and down some pretty steep hills on our way and back. Most roads were 35 to 55mph. It's best to keep you towing speeds BELOW 65mph Not only for better MPG but also safety. 99% of travel trailer tires are NOT rated for travel above 65mph. Towing above these speeds for extended periods of time is just asking for trouble.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts