Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
273 Posts
Checking back in - realized I crunched some numbers wrong. Trailer weighed less than I thought. I was pulling about 3,750 lbs (enclosed trailer + gear inside)

I did still average 17.1 mpg there and back staying at a pretty consistant 70-75 mph.

Pulled about 5000 lbs of sound/PA equipment thru the mountains of Tennessee (Nashville to Atlanta). Couldn't even feel the trailer, honestly. I know 5k isn't really anything, but i could sure feel it when braking in my V10 excursion, so I'm very happy with the XD to say the least. Oh yeah.. i also doubled the excursions gas mileage while towing too.. averaged 17.1 MPG @ around 75 MPH there and back!
Still seems too high.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Hello All, I have a New XD Titan XD CC Diesel, less that 700 miles on it. This past weekend, I towed my 26' 5k lb. camper up to Lake McConahey Neb. From Frederick CO, to Ogallala, Neb. I got 10.2 MPG on the way there, and on the way home I got average 9.4 MPG. It this normal fuel mileage for towing an 5 thousand pound bumper to camper. My average speed was 70-75 MPH.
I know it is still breaking in. This just does not seem normal? I had the transmission in Drive, and Tow mode was turned on. My RPM range was 1700-1850.

Thanks for any input.
I have 19,000 on my Platinum XD. I was told I would get "15mpg all day long towing a 4,000 enclosed trailer". I probably average about 7.5mpg and 150mpg for DEF. It is disgusting. I love my truck (and I have looked at all of them) but it is the absolute worst on the market for fuel and DEF consumption. I just installed a 50 gallon tank. Now i need to get 15 gal DEF tank I guess.

Most annoyed with the crappy Cummins motor.
My guess would be that when you are getting 7.5 MPG with 4000lbs towed load you are probably running between 75-80 MPH and your "foot is in the floor" when taking off😂😂
...not being critical and maybe your truck has other issues but no diesel on the market today will get good fuel mileage if you drive it like you stole it😂😂😂...

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I think some of it is also your driving style, I pull a 9k 5th wheel and average 11 to 12 mpg but I only go 62-64 mph and my fuel mileage is pretty consistent
I'm very similar. I tow at 60MPH and usually average about 10.1 but I have seen high 11s on occasion on flatland. My 10.1 average is on the back roads thru the Hill Country in Texas and while not the Raton Pass I feel that's pretty good for the constant road change.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I think some of it is also your driving style, I pull a 9k 5th wheel and average 11 to 12 mpg but I only go 62-64 mph and my fuel mileage is pretty consistent
With due respect, travelling between 60 and 65 today is slow. I wish I had the temperament to drive that slow. I am happy with 70-75.

My brother has a new 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. He pulls a 28 ft Airstream at 75-80 mph and gets 18 mpg at times. Our 5.0 Cummins can't even do 8 mpg. Something is seriously wrong. Especially when you have over 550 ft pounds of torque.
Sorry but he does not get 18MPG @ 80MPH pulling a 28 foot trailer even if it is an AirStream lite. Just because the dash flashes that for a second doesn't make it so😁😁...I do believe his 6.7 gets better towing than our 5.0 but not by that much at that speed and not really any better when you start running @ 80MPH and your RPMs are consistently at or over 2100 which they would be.
I can't promise you would ever get better than 11 towing but with consistent and sustained driving techniques you can sustain 10-11 which in my opinion, for what our trucks are, is not too bad.

·
273 Posts
With due respect, travelling between 60 and 65 today is slow. I wish I had the temperament to drive that slow. I am happy with 70-75.

My brother has a new 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. He pulls a 28 ft Airstream at 75-80 mph and gets 18 mpg at times. Our 5.0 Cummins can't even do 8 mpg. Something is seriously wrong. Especially when you have over 550 ft pounds of torque.

No he doesn't. Not ever. He's fed you a line of crap unless he tows 100% downhill. Even on the Dodge 2500 forums, just about nobody gets that while EMPTY.

·
551 Posts

No he doesn't. Not ever. He's fed you a line of crap unless he tows 100% downhill. Even on the Dodge 2500 forums, just about nobody gets that while EMPTY.
I think dodges computers are a little optimistically screwey. I have a buddy says his 1 ton dually get 27mpg, on the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

I think dodges computers are a little optimistically screwey. I have a buddy says his 1 ton dually get 27mpg, on the dash.
Lol...it sure does get 27MPG when running the downhill side of the Raton Pass😂😂

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I enjoy pulling Raton pass. Also will be pulling monarch pass in a couple weeks.
Have not ran the Raton since 2004 and that was in a 95 F250 with all the Banks goodies. Looking forward to it with my XD Diesel in the future (Christmas time). How did your rig do? Anything to watch out for?

·
317 Posts
I enjoy pulling Raton pass. Also will be pulling monarch pass in a couple weeks.
Have not ran the Raton since 2004 and that was in a 95 F250 with all the Banks goodies. Looking forward to it with my XD Diesel in the future (Christmas time). How did your rig do? Anything to watch out for?
Yea, construction! The XD does great. My total weight is about 8300lbs and pulls it as fast as you won't to go. Really, it's the last couple miles that is the worst, but no problem for the diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Yea, construction! The XD does great. My total weight is about 8300lbs and pulls it as fast as you won't to go. Really, it's the last couple miles that is the worst, but no problem for the diesel.
Many thanks and good to know to start looking out for the construction now. I'll be pulling right at 11k (fifth wheel loaded) and maybe an extra 50lbs of snow chains in the bed ,😁😁for that time of year. Glad to know the XD handled it well.

·
28 Posts
I find to many people give numbers from the lie-o-meter. You have to hand calculate! 10-12mpg towing much of anything is going to be the norm. What I did find (with all the Cummins motors I’ve owned, 3 previous) was there wasn’t much difference in mpg towing my 16’ quad trailer, my 26’ toyhauler, and my 40’ toyhauler. Haven’t towed much with my XD yet, but my commuting mileage, and straight freeway mileage are pretty consistent with other Cummins motors, so I would expect towing around the same 10-12mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I find to many people give numbers from the lie-o-meter. You have to hand calculate! 10-12mpg towing much of anything is going to be the norm. What I did find (with all the Cummins motors I’ve owned, 3 previous) was there wasn’t much difference in mpg towing my 16’ quad trailer, my 26’ toyhauler, and my 40’ toyhauler. Haven’t towed much with my XD yet, but my commuting mileage, and straight freeway mileage are pretty consistent with other Cummins motors, so I would expect towing around the same 10-12mpg.
You are dead on. The best I ever did with my Forest River 29BH was 11. I averaged most of the time 10 and I'm good with that.
As far as consistent mileage towing a wide array of loads, I'll know soon enough. I just upgraded to my 42' Forest River 5th wheel and headed to Padre this coming weekend.
Coming back from the dealer (48 miles on I35) I didn't have enough mielage to get an accurate count. The "lie o meter" lol told me 10.8 was current but I'm not buying it just yet..even with the tailwind I had😁

·
5 Posts
I towed a 26 ft travel trailer from Alabama to California with a 2018 XD 5.0 diesel, trailer weighs probably around 7500-8000 lbs loaded. I drove around 67 mph and my mileage was usually around 9 mpg. My lowest was 7.6 in Texas with a head wind driving. If any headwind was present usually got around 8 mpg. Best was in California 10.3 mpg driving 63 mph with no wind. I briefly owned a Ford 6.0 and 6.7 and both got 10.5 mpg driving 63 mph in California. This is a nice truck for the money as you can get a pretty good deal on them, but if you want the best fuel economy you won't get it with this truck. You will do better with the current crop of 1500 diesels, but you will probably pay around $8 K more. Experts say that the 1500s will tow around 12,000 lbs. properly equipped, but I think it is better to have a heavier truck as it will provide a more stable towing experience and do you want your truck out weighed by your trailer?

·
5 Posts
DEF warning came on every 700-800 miles, which included a stop to a Walmart to buy Supertech DEF at $7.88. So that is a pain, one you won't have with a gas engine. Are diesels really worth it anymore with the added complexity of the emission control systems, and added cost of fuel, DEF and maintenance? I love diesels, but they are getting too complex. Go watch a youtube video on the complexity of the new Duramax 3.0.

·
65 Posts
I just towed my boat and trailer, 12 feet high, 8500 pounds 160 miles on the interstate and averaged 10.8 mpg at 68 miles per hour.

Also, no drama, no tail wagging the dog, the frame and suspension are amazing ... 550 pounds tongue weight and about 200 pounds in bed.

I had PLENTY of power. Great truck.

Bob

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
34 Posts
So that’s a tongue weight of 6.4%. I’m curious how you kept it that low with such a heavy boat. I realize a boat has a lot of weight at the back, I’m just confirming your numbers here. Also, I’m guessing the extra 200 lbs in the bed helped with stability since that would put you closer to the 10%.

Weight distribution?

Very helpful info, thanks.

·
65 Posts
Boat trailers, like a lighter tongue weight than RV campers. Usually between 5.5 and 7.5 percent is where they are happy - especially with torsion axles.. My trailer is a tandem with torsion axles, so I use a level to make sure when hooked up the trailer is absolutely level, that is the best for the torsion axles and that comes out to near 6.5% tongue weight. It pulls well, no wobble, yaw or porpoising. During stops, I check my wheels and bearings and they are often barely warm to the touch, using a laser thermometer, all 4 bearings are within 5 * of each other

I never use weight distribution hitches. I have read where they are not that great to use with boat trailers - I ahve no experience with them, as of yet, have had no need. The 200 pounds is from an external gravity feed tank up near the cab that carries extra diesel so I can haul some distance before having to refuel. I have a 32 gallon tank.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts