Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see in my future the potential for towing approx 10,000# - I have my eye on a 10,000 GVWR trailer for my 6500# '68 hearse.

By my math if I go with a 4x4 S or SV model (12038 or 11888 towing respectively) that gives me at least 1500# of wiggle room (ignoring the weight of the WD hitch for now).

But if I convert that same trailer to a gooseneck, doesn't a 2000# pin weight (20% of the total) max out the payload capacity of the truck bed?

I guess I'm not entirely sure how a truck that's rated for 12k towing suddenly goes down to 10k on (what I figure to be) the safer gooseneck option? Should I be looking at a 3/4 ton from the big 3, or I completely off the mark here?

·
58 Posts
Okay, so the tow rating is not particularly significant. The XD will easily tow a 10000 trailer. The limiting factor is payload. On a 10000 pound trailer, as a bumper tow it will have somewhere around 1200 pounds of tongue weight. The weight distribution gear will push some of that to the front axle and some to the trailer axles but you are still going to see the equivalent of about 1000 pounds in the bed of the truck.

Depending on trim, that will leave you 500 a 1000 pounds for passengers and other cargo.

With a gooseneck, it is worse -- you would be dropping 2000 pounds of pin weight right in the center of your truck bed. Depending on trim, you are either right at max payload or 500 pounds over. No passengers, no other cargo.

For that trailer, as a gooseneck or fifth wheel, you need a bigger truck. Bumper pull, it should work fine as long as you mind your payload.

Mike

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, that was the conclusion I was slowly coming to. I won't be towing that often, but it would have been nice to have the gooseneck as an option since having it built in is one of the main **** selling points of the truck :)

·
857 Posts
OK, that was the conclusion I was slowly coming to. I won't be towing that often, but it would have been nice to have the gooseneck as an option since having it built in is one of the main **** selling points of the truck :)
If you were to tow, what would you be towing?

·
15 Posts
The engine is a Cummins with 555 ft-lb of torque. The transmission is an Aisin and the axle is American Axle. If Ford can put a Max Payload package on an F150 and come in at 2900 lbs payload why couldn't Nissan add a Max Payload package to the Titan. To me it just seems the truck is very substantial - much more than the F150.

What is the limiting factor here? What am I missing?

·
363 Posts
The engine is a Cummins with 555 ft-lb of torque. The transmission is an Aisin and the axle is American Axle. If Ford can put a Max Payload package on an F150 and come in at 2900 lbs payload why couldn't Nissan add a Max Payload package to the Titan. To me it just seems the truck is very substantial - much more than the F150.

It's a good question many here have asked. Heck, even journalist/bloggers asked Nissan reps but still no answers to the question. Could it just be a coincidental Nissan oversight?

Maybe it's related to this being Nissan's first effort into ~12k lb US diesel towing vehicles. If so, Nissan might not want to get burned cutting their teeth on the first model year XD so they clipped it's wings?

·
14 Posts

I think you've just ask the "(est) $40000-60000" question! Haha. This truck is WAY overbuilt to warrant some of these ridiculously low spec numbers.
I, like many others, was extremely upset when the payload/towing numbers came out. Now? Well, now Im convinced that a lot of these 'official' numbers have been set purely for segment positioning. Increase the GVWR any more and you're in HD town. That's NOT where Nissan wants to compete. They designed and released the original Titan in 04 to make a splash. And splash it did. Unfortunately steam pretty quick and I guess they stopped caring, or couldn't afford to. The XD's objective? Same, make a splash and shake up the markets, both light and heavy duty.
And I'm calling it now...that NP1500 badge goes away after a year or two. Anyone remember the 04 Pathfinder Armada? Name recognition for the big SUV. I think we might be seeing something similar with the 1/2 ton moniker.

·
15 Posts
The GVRW is limiting the payload only because the truck is heavy. Toyota and Ford half tons are under 6000 lbs but the Titan is 7400 lbs and thats a good thing. You want a substantial truck when towing heavy loads and I don't like the idea of engineering every part to the thinest and lightest theoretically possible to meet a particular specification.

I agree that keeping the GVWR under 10,000 pounds fits the theme of 5/8 ton truck but not having the payload of the F150 is a bigger problem. Throw an extra leaf spring on and change the sticker on the door so its legal!!!

·
857 Posts
The GVRW is limiting the payload only because the truck is heavy. Toyota and Ford half tons are under 6000 lbs but the Titan is 7400 lbs and thats a good thing. You want a substantial truck when towing heavy loads and I don't like the idea of engineering every part to the thinest and lightest theoretically possible to meet a particular specification.

I agree that keeping the GVWR under 10,000 pounds fits the theme of 5/8 ton truck but not having the payload of the F150 is a bigger problem. Throw an extra leaf spring on and change the sticker on the door so its legal!!!
Over time they might find that to be a big issue, after all the F150 is king of the segment or one of, being on par or close to it is ideally where they'll want to be... gives the F150 less upsides.

·
363 Posts
Curb weight is not a good thing. It's is a double edge sword. It adds inertia that doesn't want to turn, it adds extra work/fuel to accelerate from a stop or to haul uphill. It adds extra braking power to stop and extra braking to slow on the downhills. The trick is to optimally add strength and braking power without adding useless heft.

We'll say it once again... it makes little sense to virtually copy a 3/4 chassis design, strip the tow/haul #'s to approximate half ton levels, sacrifice fuel economy, add cost, and then call it a tweener.

·
24 Posts
Curb weight is not a good thing. It's is a double edge sword. It adds inertia that doesn't want to turn, it adds extra work/fuel to accelerate from a stop or to haul uphill. It adds extra braking power to stop and extra braking to slow on the downhills. The trick is to optimally add strength and braking power without adding useless heft.
You must not have ever driven a half ton pulling 8-10k pounds. That reduction of 1500-2500 pounds of curb weight compared to 3/4 and 1-ton trucks makes a VERY big difference in vehicle stability, especially when braking or driving in windy conditions. Increased stability, which the Titan XD will have over 1/2-tons, will translate into driver confidence and lower stress.

·
363 Posts
You must not have ever driven a half ton pulling 8-10k pounds. That reduction of 1500-2500 pounds of curb weight compared to 3/4 and 1-ton trucks makes a VERY big difference in vehicle stability, especially when braking or driving in windy conditions. Increased stability, which the Titan XD will have over 1/2-tons, will translate into driver confidence and lower stress.
Obviously, towing anything at a vehicle's extreme limit, towing an over sized load in windy conditions, not knowing how to distribute the weight, or not knowing how to set up your trailer hitch will feel that way.

Don't believe anyone that says "I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there" or "I'm sure glad I threw that extra 500lbs in the bed before I put the load in, it drove so much better."

It's all about matching weight with tow/haul capabilities. If it wasn't, a 3/4 ton chassis would be made from a 1 ton chassis, etc.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A hearse. My 68 Cadillac weighs approx 6500 pounds, other friends of mine have similar vehicles at similar or heavier weights. I have my eye on a 10k gvwr trailer that appears to be suitable

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Don't believe anyone that says "I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there" or "I'm sure glad I threw that extra 500lbs in the bed before I put the load in, it drove so much better."
A good work truck feels best when fully loaded. So not feeling the load doesn't mean you're not aware of it, it means that the vehicle carries the load with confidence that the load does not add any additional driver fatigue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts