Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

In a few weeks myself, my wife and our 3 boys are going to be headed from Charlotte North Carolina to Tucson Arizona with our Cummins XD while towing our4500-5000lb rv trailer (depending on what we bring and water tanks in between stays etc).
I have driven 1000s of miles at a time in cars and suvs NOT towing for the past 22 years, since I got my license really. My dad moved to NC when I lived in Wisconsin and I would go to visit him 2-3x a year. Mileages is no problem. HOWEVER- towing with diesel AND an RV is a new and different ballgame for me.
I am looking for any and all’s advice- what do I need to keep in mind, what do I need to bring, what should I do to prepare?

so far- I have a 5G extra can of diesel, enough fuel additive to get me there and back, a fresh oil change with friction modifier before we go, DEF (unless I can convince the wife to let me delete before but I am not holding my breath), an emergency kit with triangles and all that crap. WHAT AM I MISSING/forgetting?

thanks all!

·
13 Posts
The mudflap app on your phone. use it to find truck stops that accept it and you will pay a lot less for fuel. A guy recommended it to me at the pump before I started pumping. I downloaded the app, saved my credit card to it. Went in to the diesel counter and showed them the code. Went back out and pumped and I ended up saving quite a bit. the price of diesel was 3.05 at the time and I got it for 2.86. It is a free app. There are no truck stops in the area I live that use it, but for when I hit the road there are plenty on the way to the places we go. I would check it out. Also make sure that you have at least a quart of extra oil with you and a quart of transmission fluid. I always carry extras just in case. And don't forget some work gloves or disposable gloves, those diesel pump handles can get oily and nasty quick.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
759 Posts
Get one of those funnels for the large diesel pump handles. I'll bet half the fuel stations you'll find only have the large handles that don't fit in our filler necks. People remove the restrictor but I've read that they still don't fit afterwards.

·
13 Posts
Get one of those funnels for the large diesel pump handles. I'll bet half the fuel stations you'll find only have the large handles that don't fit in our filler necks. People remove the restrictor but I've read that they still don't fit afterwards.
oh, yeah I had that problem at a truck stop. I had to fill really slow as I could only fit the nozzle in so far. didn't know they made a funnel for that.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitly bring a floor jack and a battery impact if possible. Don’t want to catch a flat and have to deal with the crap the factory supplies you with
10-4. I always bring my dewalt battery impact- makes putting the leveling jacks on the trailer down so much faster.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, yeah I had that problem at a truck stop. I had to fill really slow as I could only fit the nozzle in so far. didn't know they made a funnel for that.
I keep a funnel with the truck for additives etc on the road. Good call out on that though I will def get the app as well.

·
453 Posts
10-4. I always bring my dewalt battery impact- makes putting the leveling jacks on the trailer down so much faster.
I've lost count of the leveling jacks I've seen destroyed when using impact drivers to lower/raise them. Don't know if they were cheap jacks but it's convinced me to only use a regular drill to raise/lower my jacks.

·
134 Posts
I've lost count of the leveling jacks I've seen destroyed when using impact drivers to lower/raise them. Don't know if they were cheap jacks but it's convinced me to only use a regular drill to raise/lower my jacks.
You’re 100% correct! Impacts destroy them, they need a constant movement not what an impact does

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’re 100% correct! Impacts destroy them, they need a constant movement not what an impact does
Interesting. I need to replace one of mine anyway as it folded over a few trips back. They are the originals, definitely cheapo models. They are secured to the frame with self tapping screws. 🤦🏽 Will start packing the drill as well though, good tip.

·
3 Posts
I started towing a travel trailer this year, and have made it out about four times so far. For whatever reason, the backend of my XD sags a little lower than the front, about 1.5" if measuring from the ground to the top of the fender well. This is before connecting a trailer or anything to the hitch. I tow a lightweight TT, less than 4000 lbs. Surprisingly it really sags the back end of the truck down when hooked up. I don't recall the tongue weight of the trailer, but I don't think it is totally abnormal for a TT. Anyway, I ended up buying an equalizer hitch, as well as adding air bags. I know have it so I can get the truck to sit as close to level as it gets, and with the equalizer hitch the handling is so much better as some of the weight is distributed on the front of the truck. I wouldn't go without either the air bags or the equalizer hitch at this point.

·
7 Posts
Invest in a high quality weight distribution hitch. I really like the Andersen hitch as it's light, simple to configure, and the sway reduction is really effective. That said, there are a lot of good options in the $400-$600 range that will do a great job.

Some people have mentioned airbags to help combat sag and it's not a bad plan but I prefer Timbren helper springs. No maintenance, much easier to install, significantly cheaper, and they do a damn good job. Obviously you lose out on the configurability of the air bags, but I'm a big fan of reducing complication to achieve an end goal. If one of them timbrens fails for some reason, I can still safely drive the truck. With many air bags if you lose pressure on the bags you can't drive without destroying them (although I think Firestone now sells a model with an internal jounce bumper so the vehicle can be operated without air in the bags so if you go with airbags I suggest doing that).

Take your time. Do some practicing in an empty lot to get a feel for how you're trailer behaves, how to back it up, how to avoid jumping curbs, etc. Many people say backing a trailer into a spot is the difficulty part but I disagree; backing a trailer a long distance in a straight line is much harder, particularly if it's short. Take it out on the highway loaded for camping and see if you need to adjust weight in the trailer. Have fun, don't rush.

·
134 Posts
I started towing a travel trailer this year, and have made it out about four times so far. For whatever reason, the backend of my XD sags a little lower than the front, about 1.5" if measuring from the ground to the top of the fender well. This is before connecting a trailer or anything to the hitch. I tow a lightweight TT, less than 4000 lbs. Surprisingly it really sags the back end of the truck down when hooked up. I don't recall the tongue weight of the trailer, but I don't think it is totally abnormal for a TT. Anyway, I ended up buying an equalizer hitch, as well as adding air bags. I know have it so I can get the truck to sit as close to level as it gets, and with the equalizer hitch the handling is so much better as some of the weight is distributed on the front of the truck. I wouldn't go without either the air bags or the equalizer hitch at this point.
Are you saying your rear is lower than the front of truck when not loaded with anything?

·
7 Posts
Are you saying your rear is lower than the front of truck when not loaded with anything?
If that's the case, something is fucked up in your suspension. Either someone lifted the front or something has gone wrong at the rear. You had the airbags installed so I assume the installer peeked at the rear. Have you had anyone check to see if someone put a leveling kit in the front? They may have gone too high. This assumes you got it used of course

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that's the case, something is fucked up in your suspension. Either someone lifted the front or something has gone wrong at the rear. You had the airbags installed so I assume the installer peeked at the rear. Have you had anyone check to see if someone put a leveling kit in the front? They may have gone too high. This assumes you got it used of course
I was thinking the same. My trailer fully loaded with drinking water is around 5k and barely sags the truck. I don’t have a load leveler/weight distribution hitch but I do use a sway kit.

@Bmw, I could have used one of those damn funnels today

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
759 Posts
Happens every time. How did it tow?

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Happens every time. How did it tow?
It did great finally. I am still planning a cross country trip with the fam but have been fighting some issues on shorter tows. There is a separate thread for that but we finally got it figured out I think. Fuel issues

This thing goes almost like there is nothing behind it. Great feeling. And with all the advice here so far I should be getting my supplies bin together and hopefully headed to Arizona soon.

·
3 Posts
Yeah, I got it used, from a dealer. I was back at the dealer the first week and had them look at it. They said nothing has been done to the suspension, and that it looks perfectly normal. I have inspected the suspension too and don't see anything fishy at all. I added the air bags long after. Anyway, I am going to be back at the dealer in a couple weeks and I am going to ask them what could be done to make the truck level when unloaded. I agree that something seems off, but again, I see nothing.

·
7 Posts
Yeah, I got it used, from a dealer. I was back at the dealer the first week and had them look at it. They said nothing has been done to the suspension, and that it looks perfectly normal. I have inspected the suspension too and don't see anything fishy at all. I added the air bags long after. Anyway, I am going to be back at the dealer in a couple weeks and I am going to ask them what could be done to make the truck level when unloaded. I agree that something seems off, but again, I see nothing.
Generally speaking, most factory pickups have some rake built in. I think the standard titan is about 2.5" between front and back. If yours didn't even sit level but sags in the rear unloaded I'd be concerned. Might be worth the $50 to have it checked out by a reputable suspension crew in your area

·
3 Posts
Generally speaking, most factory pickups have some rake built in. I think the standard titan is about 2.5" between front and back. If yours didn't even sit level but sags in the rear unloaded I'd be concerned. Might be worth the $50 to have it checked out by a reputable suspension crew in your area
Thanks for the input. I will definitely do that as I would love to get to the bottom of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts