Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that I want to replace my aging Yukon XL 2500 with the Titan XD as my next towing vehicle. At 37 ft of total length, I know I'm at the far end of the spectrum. The pro-4x appeals to me because we usually Boondock when we camp....skid plates, hill descent and locking rear may come in handy. But I don't know that I really 'need' those features and I'm not sure if I will actually take advantage of them. The SL though has the running boards (wife is 5' 2") and seems to be a little cheaper. We use a WDH of course. Our trips can be well over 1000 miles. Any thoughts on which trim level may offer better towing stability at highway speeds? The pro4x and the sl have different shocks and tires, right? Looking at low mileage 2017 or 18 so will probably have the factory tires on it still. Not to say that the shocks and/or tires can't be replaced if one version would be head and shoulders above the other. Thoughts?

·
62 Posts
The SL is a very comfortable cushy ride on a long trip . Pulling an RV Is a comfortable experience I am speaking of an All stock SL .......can’t comment on the pro-4 .

·
245 Posts
I tow a TT with my 2016 Pro 4X. My trailer weights between 7000 -8000# depending on where we're going. Towed from AZ to Maine and back over 40 days it towed like a dream. The Pro 4X is heavier so probably tows a little better but has a little less Towing Capacity.

·
13 Posts
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that I want to replace my aging Yukon XL 2500 with the Titan XD as my next towing vehicle. At 37 ft of total length, I know I'm at the far end of the spectrum. The pro-4x appeals to me because we usually Boondock when we camp....skid plates, hill descent and locking rear may come in handy. But I don't know that I really 'need' those features and I'm not sure if I will actually take advantage of them. The SL though has the running boards (wife is 5' 2") and seems to be a little cheaper. We use a WDH of course. Our trips can be well over 1000 miles. Any thoughts on which trim level may offer better towing stability at highway speeds? The pro4x and the sl have different shocks and tires, right? Looking at low mileage 2017 or 18 so will probably have the factory tires on it still. Not to say that the shocks and/or tires can't be replaced if one version would be head and shoulders above the other. Thoughts?
I have a 2016 XD SL, but it came with a 6" lift kit, mine tow well I have 33 ft camper trailer. I guess my tow weight is about 7000 lbs. Not sure about off road with it but it has no problem towing I stay at 70 mph, once in a while I drive 75.

·
4 Posts

my trailer weighs 3000. I haul 3ATV’s and a Honda Talon on it (roughly 5500lbs) and it doesn’t hardly squat at all. Drives very well. I also have a Mini excavator a Kubota that weighs 10,000lbs. That plus the 3000lbs trailer = 13,000lbs.... Ive hauled It but I don’t like it only because it squats too much.... however the 5.0 pulls it like it’s not even there! If I had airbags it could haul the mini no prob.. as long as your not pushing 10,000 its good... also I work pipeline in PA and WV mountains so I’m seriously off road everyday and I only used the lockers 1 time and I needed them! But I was in some extremely slick mud.. idk how Hardcore u off-road but I never use them lockers and I do some hardcore shit.. and that hill assist myswell not exist..

·
29 Posts
The pro4x Titan XD comes oem with Bilstein shocks and 18" off-road wheels compared to the Titan XD SL models come with oem Nissan shocks and 20"wheels. now if you don't want to touch anything in your truck and just hook up your trailer and go, buy the pro4x. Now if you are willing to throw some Bilstein 5100 series shocks on the SL like I did, you will have no problem towing 11k lbs comfortably all day. Also airlift offers an easy to install airbag kit for $300 if you want to improve your towing comfortability

·
29 Posts
Great inputs, thanks! jacobh55, why did u go with the shocks instead of the airbags?
I ended up going with both the Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear and the airlift air bags in the rear. I absolutely love this set up and makes towing heavy a breeze, there's a lot of info on this forum with numerous options to improve ride quality, if you're looking to just throw rear shocks on for now, you won't regret it as its a huge improvement and helps eliminate sway under heavy loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts