Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok put new wheels and tires on. Now tpms is going off because I want to run them at 45psi. Going to go back to the tire dealer when life slows down. But, can I lower the moniter pressure myself?

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand why. But, that sucks. Was hoping there was a "turn the left blinker on, dim the headlights, put in park. Step out turn around twice, new car trick" I could do. And yes that was sarcasm.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well maybe the tire stores hand held scanner? And love technology, good cigars taste better? Aged whiskey taste better? And Beautiful women are Prettier? Again sarcasm.

·
1,979 Posts
Well maybe the tire stores hand held scanner? And love technology, good cigars taste better? Aged whiskey taste better? And Beautiful women are Prettier? Again sarcasm.
Nobody will touch it do to possibly liability issues. It is a government mandated system (thanks Ford/Firestone). I doubt the dealership has the software to adjust, even if they did they won't.
The only aftermarket tuner company I know of makes a handheld programmer that works is for Jeep JK Wranglers, sense they run different size tires or airdown alot.

·
200 Posts
hi. there is a way around this issue; it's a bit 'rube goldberg' though. one of my friends who off roads in a Toyota does it. he took out all his TPMS sensors from his wheels. went to home depot and bought a 1' section of 2" pipe and capped one end. put the sensors into the pipe. drilled a hole in the 2nd cap and installed a Schrader valve. capped the second end with that modded cap and aired it up to the recommended pressure. he keeps the pipe with the sensors in it under the rear seat. no lights no issues.

·
27 Posts
Wow, I hadn't looked into this on my truck, but amazed that dealers won't reset it.

My wife's 2014 VW had a push button in the glove-box (get the tires where you want them, hold down the button, and that's the new pressure)... course it also got bought back by VW for cheating US emissions laws lol

·
327 Posts
The truck was designed to have Load E tires and that is the pressures the TPMS is set for. If you drop to a load D or just want to run 45psi in your tires then you will get the warning. This is not a NIssan issue. It is Nissan owner issue trying to change the peramiters of the truck.

I believe somewhere in there you can set a desired pressure but I don’t think you can set it below what a minimum load E tire can be set which is usually around 60psi

You should be able to turn off the TPMS warning. I have not tried myself.

·
4 Posts
What I’m reading in all of the TPMS threads about owners wanting to lower the tire pressure threshold values after installing other than OEM tires only to find that Nissan doesn’t provide a means of doing so is frustrating. As tire manufacturers produce stronger tires within a specific load rating (e.g., load rating E), the required air pressure has come down. And, different tire sizes (20” versus 18” as an example) will also require different tire pressures to achieve the same load capacity. My 2018 Titan XD diesel was manufactured with General Grabber HTS LT 265/60-R20 tires, which are rated for carrying approx. 3200 LB at 80 PSI. Nissan states the pressures as 65/70 (front/back). My new tires, BF Goodrich T/A K02 LT 285/65-R18, are rated for carrying over 3600 LB at 80 PSI. The manufacturer recommends 57/60 PSI (front/back) for my specific vehicle. To run them with 65/70 means they are technically over-inflated and will likely wear prematurely. So my point to all this is that NISSAN is being very short-minded in assuming that Titan owners will always install OEM or “equivalent” tires. And all of the replies that I’m reading that state that if your new tire requires less air than what is printed on the “sticker” then you’re using a tire that is rated too low, are not necessarily accurate. Nissan allowed the threshold value to be changed on older models. Most other manufacturers still afford the ability to do so… Nissan should rethink their mindset.

·
1,280 Posts
What I’m reading in all of the TPMS threads about owners wanting to lower the tire pressure threshold values after installing other than OEM tires only to find that Nissan doesn’t provide a means of doing so is frustrating. As tire manufacturers produce stronger tires within a specific load rating (e.g., load rating E), the required air pressure has come down. And, different tire sizes (20” versus 18” as an example) will also require different tire pressures to achieve the same load capacity. My 2018 Titan XD diesel was manufactured with General Grabber HTS LT 265/60-R20 tires, which are rated for carrying approx. 3200 LB at 80 PSI. Nissan states the pressures as 65/70 (front/back). My new tires, BF Goodrich T/A K02 LT 285/65-R18, are rated for carrying over 3600 LB at 80 PSI. The manufacturer recommends 57/60 PSI (front/back) for my specific vehicle. To run them with 65/70 means they are technically over-inflated and will likely wear prematurely. So my point to all this is that NISSAN is being very short-minded in assuming that Titan owners will always install OEM or “equivalent” tires. And all of the replies that I’m reading that state that if your new tire requires less air than what is printed on the “sticker” then you’re using a tire that is rated too low, are not necessarily accurate. Nissan allowed the threshold value to be changed on older models. Most other manufacturers still afford the ability to do so… Nissan should rethink their mindset.
If you look in your manual, the tire pressures for the PRO4X equipped with 18s is basically identical to the SV/SL/PR 20s.

What load range are the K02s? When you say ‘the manufacturer’ recommends 57/60, who are you referring to? Those numbers sound like the non-XD inflation specs and not the XD.

If BFG does, in fact, reccomend the lower pressure then you are either choosing to be overinflated or under inflated. Either way you’ll wear those fast. BFGs are too soft for heavy trucks, anyways. I can’t get them to last more than 30k on any of my diesels. Those Toyo Open Countey AT3s on the other hand- amazing tire.

·
4 Posts
If you look in your manual, the tire pressures for the PRO4X equipped with 18s is basically identical to the SV/SL/PR 20s.

What load range are the K02s? When you say ‘the manufacturer’ recommends 57/60, who are you referring to? Those numbers sound like the non-XD inflation specs and not the XD.

If BFG does, in fact, reccomend the lower pressure then you are either choosing to be overinflated or under inflated. Either way you’ll wear those fast. BFGs are too soft for heavy trucks, anyways. I can’t get them to last more than 30k on any of my diesels. Those Toyo Open Countey AT3s on the other hand- amazing tire.

They are Load Rating E the same as the original tires. What my earlier reply stated is that “not all tires are created equal”. This website gives examples of tire pressure recommendations based on tire size, rating, and tire pressure of “OEM to replacement” tires. Tire Pressure Calculator

·
16 Posts
Guess I should have asked this question before replacing my rock slinging oem tires with a smooth highway tread. Hell they even aired them up for the 10 ply @65.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts