Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a new issue - TBCU incompatibility with electric over hydraulic (EOH) trailer brakes. The internals of the XD's TBCU are technically a Tekonsha Prodigy P2. However, for some reason Nissan(?) disabled the Prodigy P2's capability to select electric or EOH, so it is set up for electric.

Was getting an 0.9 error code (loss of TBCU ground) when applying the brakes with the trailer hooked up. Took it to the dealer for trouble shooting, and they hooked it up to a couple other XD's on the lot with the same results. Hooked it up to a TV with an aftermarket controller, and the trailer brakes worked fine.

Service manager called Nissan to check/report the issue and got them to authorize the dealer to purchase an aftermarket Prodigy P2 to install at Nissan's expense. The tech is going to try to integrate the aftermarket P2 into the factory TBCU housing, but if unsuccessful will have to mount the Prodigy under the dash and disable the factory TBCU. I will post any updates I get regarding the TBCU

·
1,979 Posts
why they cut corners on stuff that is important and cost us extra is beyond me
They do the same thing with the tires. The whole sale ( sold to Nissan ) vs Retail of the same exact tire has different tread depths, I found that out a few years ago with the BFG's that came on the 1st Gen Pro4x's.

·
2 Posts
Hi Just bought a new Titan XD and wondering if this was resolved? I cant believe Nissan put so much effort into this truck for towing and dropped the ball on boat trailers with electric of hydraulic

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No resolution. I contacted NNA, and they were no help. Trying to discuss something very technically specific with a customer service rep. was a chore. NNA said I have to go thru the dealer, and the dealer says Nissan does not have plans to address the issue. I tried explaining that I wanted to speak with someone on the design side of things to find out what/if anything would/could be done, but could not get any traction. I gave up.

My EOH system is made by Hydrastar, and they have a module to correct for factory controllers that are incompatible with their EOH system, and I will give that a try. If no luck there, I will continue to use the aftermarket Prodigy P2 the dealer installed last summer. Really irritates me as that is what the Titan XD TBCU is supposed to be

·
2 Posts
Hi, thx for the reply. Any luck with that module? I was looking at it on the Hydrastar website.

No resolution. I contacted NNA, and they were no help. Trying to discuss something very technically specific with a customer service rep. was a chore. NNA said I have to go thru the dealer, and the dealer says Nissan does not have plans to address the issue. I tried explaining that I wanted to speak with someone on the design side of things to find out what/if anything would/could be done, but could not get any traction. I gave up.

My EOH system is made by Hydrastar, and they have a module to correct for factory controllers that are incompatible with their EOH system, and I will give that a try. If no luck there, I will continue to use the aftermarket Prodigy P2 the dealer installed last summer. Really irritates me as that is what the Titan XD TBCU is supposed to be

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delayed response. I installed the module, and plan to tow this weekend. I will update next week

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooked up the boat over the weekend to take to the dealer for service. For the Hydrastar EOH actuator, the HBA-CAM module worked as advertised, and the TBCU functioned as expected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts