Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to convert my '16 PR Cummins to a 4wd. It rains a shit ton here and snows a lot where I might be moving in a few years. I've already been stuck in light mud...got pulled out by a little Subaru FWD crossover. Wife woudn't stop talking shit, and seems to not understand the advantage of having a lot of weight on the drive wheels.

So I've watched countless videos and read a shit ton of articles/forums on 4wd conversions. Been fascinated by it for years. It all is well within my understanding and skillset, but there are 2 things that i'm not completely certain about: wiring a 3-position switch (2hi, 4hi, 4lo) to the transfer case and sucessfully mating it to the transmission.

Looking at pictures at many angles of the T-case on the internet, it seems the only wires going to it are to a big motor (my assumption is that motor is what changes drive modes) and what looks like a speed sensor, moved from the tranny. For those of you with 4wd diesel Titan's let me know if I'm missing something and provide a picture.

The other thing is mating it to the tranny. I know many trannies need a different output shaft. Is this the case for this one, too? Not getting much info on the internet but maybe I suck at googling.

And no I don't want to simply buy a 4wd truck. Mime is already deleted/tuned and I hate dealing with loans. Rather finish this one off and hold onto this truck until it's unsavable

·
1,297 Posts
Wow...that will be some project. I don't have the info you are looking for, but I will follow your posts to see how you are doing. I think you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Good luck!!!

·
32 Posts
If it helps I can send you pictures of under my pro 4x its a 17 but I don't believe there were any changes between them.

·
968 Posts
You'll need to wire up the Transfer Rotary Position Sensor , Transfer Motor, Range and Mode Sensors on the transfer case. You'd also need to check the wiring for the 4WD Shift Switch and the Transfer Control Unit connectors under the dash. If they are there it will limit the amount of wiring you would need to hook up. And there is an extension housing that goes between the transmission and transfer case. And the rear driveshaft is also different.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...that will be some project. I don't have the info you are looking for, but I will follow your posts to see how you are doing. I think you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Good luck!!!
Yeah, it will be alot of work but I also have a lot if free time, and I love comlleting major projects. It'll be fun and I hope i can do a good write up on it.

If it helps I can send you pictures of under my pro 4x its a 17 but I don't believe there were any changes between them.
That would be helpful. Post as many angles and you think are useful along with stickers and eletrical components. That would help this thread a lot.

You'll need to wire up the Transfer Rotary Position Sensor , Transfer Motor, Range and Mode Sensors on the transfer case. You'd also need to check the wiring for the 4WD Shift Switch and the Transfer Control Unit connectors under the dash. If they are there it will limit the amount of wiring you would need to hook up. And there is an extension housing that goes between the transmission and transfer case. And the rear driveshaft is also different.
I'll look for those, but being a 2wd I'm not sure if i'll have any luck. If they are I'll shit myself in happiness

·
1,297 Posts
Are the gears in the rear diff the same or will those need to be changed too?

·
1,021 Posts
There’s a Nissan dealership somewhere in the US that specializes in turning the Nissan NV vans into 4WD vehicles (which are just gas Titan XDs underneath). From their website, it appears easy to do and they also save a lot of headache by adding a gear selector in the floorboard versus the electronic knob. However, they offer both versions.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This will be helpful! I'll poke around a lot. I think the gas and diesel XD's use many of the same parts, but I'll double check part numbers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts