Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen much in the way of reviews for the transfer flow all steel 50 gallon tank (unless I've missed some searching).

Given that some plastic tanks are expensive and had reported issues with running out of fuel anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 gauge, I opted for an all steel tank from the reputable manufacturer who also makes some OEM tanks.

Got lucky and a local truck shop ordered cheaper than online and installed for $200. I could have done this but it made more sense to have them do it on a lift. Also, they modded the fuel neck by removing the restrictor so it "should" accept large semi fuel nozzles at the big truck stops. That I've yet to verify.

Regarding fuel capacity and useful capacity, I've had no issues running it to under 1/8 tank. Haven't gone much lower yet but will report back when I do. Couldn't be more pleased so far.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good q. I'll reset the trip odo to check next time I'm out and topped off. Needing to calc mpg anyway before deleting to compare the difference. Gauge shows over 17mpg and nearly 500 mi range which doesn't seem too far off unloaded - thought the calcs would be way off but maybe the computers are adapting?

·
702 Posts
The computers do not adapt to a new fuel tank. The DTE will always be wrong from now on.

·
184 Posts
I’m thinking this is correct but am currently only at 3/4 on my first tank with the transferflow installed. It’s going to be so nice towing the toyhauler without stopping so often. Will update.

·
184 Posts
Direct from transferflow. $1457.50 with shipping. First tank came damaged by shipping (FedEx Freight). Second one flawless. Excellent quality. Heavy tank. Couple hrs to install.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The computers do not adapt to a new fuel tank. The DTE will always be wrong from now on.
Logically this makes sense but in practical terms the meters have adapted to a large degree. I'll pay more attention on the next test however it has read 17.x mpg and the range was in the ballpark too as compared to actual data below:

Traveled 826.2 mi on this test and used 45.924 gal to refuel. This comes out to 17.96 mpg.

However my speedo reads 83 mph at 80 mph actual GPS verified speed, so we could do a 0.964 correction factor being VERY generous (since this is the max realized variance at 80 mph and avg speeds are much lower).

With this correction factor, mpg is 17.31, still nothing to balk at since the truck is stock otherwise. This was with quite a bit of idling (which I know I shouldn't be doing) and some "hot rodding" as well.

I have a wild theory that the regen program may be kicking in less because the fuel needle is falling much more slowly than the stock tank. Any thoughts about this?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much did you pay for the tank and where did you get it?
If this question was for me, it was $1406 delivered if I recall correctly, and it was purchased through a local shop in NW GA. So it wasn't a great deal cheaper than online and I may have paid sales tax as well, would have to look for the receipt. Installation was $200.

·
184 Posts
For people wondering about the DTE guage it is not correct, however it will not drop as fast as your 26 gallon tank. The gauge drops half as fast. So in theory if you’re wondering how far till empty you could double the number on the DTE and get close. Also the low fuel gauge will not come on until you’re in the red. It used to come on around 60/65 miles to fill up and I had wondered if it still would. It does not. Really love pulling the toyhauler to my destination, unhooking, and just keep running around without getting fuel. Definitely a must if you tow in my opinion.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For people wondering about the DTE guage it is not correct, however it will not drop as fast as your 26 gallon tank. The gauge drops half as fast. So in theory if you’re wondering how far till empty you could double the number on the DTE and get close. Also the low fuel gauge will not come on until you’re in the red. It used to come on around 60/65 miles to fill up and I had wondered if it still would. It does not. Really love pulling the toyhauler to my destination, unhooking, and just keep running around without getting fuel. Definitely a must if you tow in my opinion.
Noticed the same on DTE today. I was mistaken on the last comment but in line with the first mention of 4XX mi. Thanks for details on the low fuel gauge too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts