Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I decided to change transmission fluid on my ‘17 gas XD. I bought the truck used a year ago with only 13k miles and with it now approaching 21k miles, I decided it was due. Upon finding no transmission dipstick or fill tube under the hood, I was curious how I was going to refill the fluid but I forged ahead anyway and removed the drain plug and dropped the pan. Whoa! I have never seen such dirty trans fluid (brownish-black) and filthy magnets! Especially with such low miles! I have no knowledge of the previous owner(s) or their possible towing history with this truck but it sure seems like I was looking at 90k mile trans fluid instead of 21k. I re-assembled everything and refilled the fluid using that tiny fill tube on the bottom of the pan. Just wondering if anyone else has found a similar situation with dirty transmission fluid. Overall, the truck shifts fine and I haven’t noticed any problems.

·
1,507 Posts
On my Cummins the dipstick is on driver side behind intake tube. It’s not labeled

·
909 Posts
The diesel engine trucks have dipsticks and the gas versions do not. Nissan stopped using dipsticks on most of their transmissions years ago. Because of the expansion rate of the fluid used, adjusting the fluid level by temperature through the drip tube is more accurate than using a dipstick. The diesel transmission comes from Aisin and uses the same case as the Dodge version so that's probably why it has a dipstick.

·
188 Posts
mine is a Cummins but since I was doing about 80% towing duty with a 9k+ enclosed trailer, I changed mine at 20k miles. the fluid came out looking new. i replaced with Valvoline Max LIfe full Synth (the stuff that is MaticK equivalent) and it has been 14k miles since then and it's shifting even nicer especially in cold weather. I think I'll wait til it hits 50k miles to change it again (that'll be a 30k mile interval this time). by far the hardest part of the trans fluid swap was getting the dipstick to come free the first time (had to break off that little plastic lock thing first!)

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine is a Cummins but since I was doing about 80% towing duty with a 9k+ enclosed trailer, I changed mine at 20k miles. the fluid came out looking new. i replaced with Valvoline Max LIfe full Synth (the stuff that is MaticK equivalent) and it has been 14k miles since then and it's shifting even nicer especially in cold weather. I think I'll wait til it hits 50k miles to change it again (that'll be a 30k mile interval this time). by far the hardest part of the trans fluid swap was getting the dipstick to come free the first time (had to break off that little plastic lock thing first!)
I also used Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic (MaticS equivalent). I think I will change again after 10k miles. Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts