Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lots of complaints about the transmission issues in the Titans...blah blah blah. For those trashing our trucks because of this look at this link. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2017-l5p-duramax-powertrain/882546-2017-tranny-issues.html The other manufacturers are having similar issues. Just check the other forums. The problem is that all these nice shiny new transmissions are controlled by software vs fluid pressure and rpm in the older types of transmissions. The problem is not unique to Nissan. Chevy, Ford, Ram, all seeing same issues. The difference is how the problems are handled. It is funny that aftermarket guys can fix the problems with a software flash/tune while the engineers making the trucks seem clueless.

·
324 Posts
I don't think that the engineers are clueless. I kind of think they want you to put an aftermarket tune on your vehicle so they can void your warranty.

·
430 Posts
The only comments I've seen, regarding the transmission, are the ones, from the owners, themselves. On the other hand, finding cases of problems with other brands shouldn't be hard, if that's what you like to do. The fact is, when comparing a prevalent problem on the XD, to one of a different brand, which is not so prevalent, is pointless. Of the thousands of newer Allisons on the market, a very small portion have had problems, compared to the majority of XD owners, on here, that complain of issues.

·
1,300 Posts
Yaaaa. They are totally clueless.

Their classic lines are as follorws, It's supposed to work on paper in my design. There is something else going on because my parts and designs are perfect. It's not my area it's the next guy his parts are not working.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
426 Posts
Hard shifting is one thing, but programming for economy and emissions is another and that's what's going on now in the industry. The transmission has to work with the engine to keep emissions under control which requires new strategies. These trucks are all certified to meet EPA regulations a certain way and changing things like transmission programming requires testing make sure they still comply. Just ask FCA. Now Nissan and Aisin should be able to resolve the hard/firm shifting without effecting too much else unless it's a mechanical design issue which I doubt. I'm not a Ford fan but there's very few complaints about transmission shifting issues on they're diesel trucks so it can be done.

·
81 Posts
-It is funny that aftermarket guys can fix the problems with a software flash/tune while the engineers making the trucks seem clueless-

who is the aftermarket tuner that has been working on this software fix for the trans? If there is such a person, they are putting alot of hours out since the ones with problems are still under warranty and get the flash for free from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Agreed, being that this as we all know now, is basically a as68rc, a as69rc valvebody,with a sprag delete and minor component changes. They are kinda starting from scratch on the shift profiles. It takes time to iron out these values to stay within constraints to meet as said above by demiles. I work with plenty of engineers, most are good in their respective fields and can really surprise you problem solving, but they may not have a "feel" in this case for how a vehicle is supposed to operate necessarily (not bashing them, they are somewhat new to the diesel market). Think of only driving a sedan all your life, then be asked to program a truck...people expect truck to behave differently than a sedan, shifting, handling, ride, and performance characteristics. I'm frustrated too with the drivablity aspect (trans shifting, throttle delay), but I understand it's never perfect outta the gate.

·
43 Posts
I have owned Ram, GMC and Ford, never had the hesitation or shifting issues I have with my Titan. ECM and TCM flash along with a transmission recalibration with the same end result. Love this truck more than any before but the transmission is making my patience wear thin. They told me Nissan is diligently working this issue because of the large amount of complaints but have yet to find the root cause.

·
1,300 Posts
I have owned Ram, GMC and Ford, never had the hesitation or shifting issues I have with my Titan.
I still own a 13 Ram and the truck has dead pedal just like our truck. The truck does have shifting issues speeding up from 1-2 and 3-4 as it forces itself to shift early for emission pursoses. And slowing down 3-2, 2-1 the shifts are inconsistent. My 11 Ram had bad shifting as it never hit into gear there was always a slight slip in the factory progrming to try and have good smooth shifts. Never happened properly and it just ended up slipping more and more. I put in the H&S Trans tune and it was a world of differance.

These trucks are held back because of the stupid EPA. Because of them everything has to talk and communicate to keep nox levels down and particulate under control.
It's frustrating because a guy will delete his truck with a engine and trans tune and the truck will drive the way it's supposed to. A million times better with minimalized dead pedal and get better economy and pros list goes on and on and on. It's kinda sh*tty we need to do such things to make our trucks drive better. Thats an easy out for the manufacturer, we loose warranty because we want a better driving truck. It's a win for them short term but in the long run its not as you can take your truck anywhere to get worked on and the service rate it much cheaper. I don't know how many times I got calls from Ram saying we haven't seen your truck for service in some time please come in.

Screw you EPA for forcing all diesels to be crap to drive until they are deleted! Its really too bad Trump didn't completely shut the EPA down lol.

Reactions: 97Fastec

·
896 Posts
Wow, even though the OP wasn't expecting an answer from GM, GM Customer Care sure did respond quickly to the guy's problem.

Too bad Nissan doesn't follow GM's effort for positive customer service.

·
103 Posts
Wow, even though the OP wasn't expecting an answer from GM, GM Customer Care sure did respond quickly to the guy's problem.

I wonder if Nissan lurks here......

·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Majority???

The only comments I've seen, regarding the transmission, are the ones, from the owners, themselves. On the other hand, finding cases of problems with other brands shouldn't be hard, if that's what you like to do. The fact is, when comparing a prevalent problem on the XD, to one of a different brand, which is not so prevalent, is pointless. Of the thousands of newer Allisons on the market, a very small portion have had problems, compared to the majority of XD owners, on here, that complain of issues.

What majority?

For any product reviews (such as on Amazon) only about 1 in 5000 people even do a review. Those that do either love or hate the product. Rest of the time people don't either bother. On forums like this you have people who are having problems and venting, or they are guys like myself who are trying to find out everything they can about their vehicle and enjoy talking to people with similar issues or interests. The vast majority of vehicle users NEVER even look at or join a forum. Their vehicle is a commodity that just works.

Then there are people who do troll other forums just trying to stir the pot. That would be like me trolling some gay forum and bashing them because of their sexual preference. Why would I do that? I have better things to do. Everybody is supposed to have the freedom to choose what they want in this country. Most people have better things to do and other concerns rather than trolling another forum and bashing people.

The only vehicle that I have ever purchased that did not have a problem at all was a 1980 Nissan 200SX. I ran that car into the ground to the tune of almost 240K miles on the original clutch. I sold it for $1000 sixteen years later. All vehicles are so **** complicated now that they will all have some issue. The Titan is no exception. I have some minor issues, but love the truck overall and I think it is a wonderful value.

·
Read Only
0 Posts

Ford does this very same thing on mustang6g board. However, I can attest first-hand that Ford CSM's do nothing but route messages and try to put a positive spin on every problem they see. It's just PR in Ford's case on that board. I realize that a Mustang is far from a truck, but they are only damage control.

On the other hand, even though I've never seen Nissan comment on a post here or even volunteer to help someone as a result of post, I have called the NissanUSA number and had a CSA deal with the issues I have raised then followed up with me. I wish the process were more proactive, but I continue to buy Nissan because I have yet to have them mess me over.

·
896 Posts
I remember someone on here showing a video of their trks issue for opinions, and later said when contacting NissanUSA about the issue they stated they seen the video and were aware of it. So it appears they either check in every now and then or monitor the forum.
If we communicated in Japanese here, maybe they would unsuspectingly interject like American Mfg's and say to call them for immediate help.

At any rate, even though with same trans hesitation at times, so far no major complaints.

·
43 Posts
I love my truck and can see me keeping it for a few years, just hoping they come up with a fix for the hesitation.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts