Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
430 Posts
What majority?

For any product reviews (such as on Amazon) only about 1 in 5000 people even do a review. Those that do either love or hate the product. Rest of the time people don't either bother. On forums like this you have people who are having problems and venting, or they are guys like myself who are trying to find out everything they can about their vehicle and enjoy talking to people with similar issues or interests. The vast majority of vehicle users NEVER even look at or join a forum. Their vehicle is a commodity that just works.

Then there are people who do troll other forums just trying to stir the pot. That would be like me trolling some gay forum and bashing them because of their sexual preference. Why would I do that? I have better things to do. Everybody is supposed to have the freedom to choose what they want in this country. Most people have better things to do and other concerns rather than trolling another forum and bashing people.

The only vehicle that I have ever purchased that did not have a problem at all was a 1980 Nissan 200SX. I ran that car into the ground to the tune of almost 240K miles on the original clutch. I sold it for $1000 sixteen years later. All vehicles are so **** complicated now that they will all have some issue. The Titan is no exception. I have some minor issues, but love the truck overall and I think it is a wonderful value.
If you'll carefully read my post, it says the "majority, ON HERE." Not sure where the rest of the rant about gay bashing came from. Lol. Anywho, as far as trolling and having better things to do, you obviously do not. You're going forum to forum trying to come up with problems to make you feel better about the XD. I stand by my statement from simple research and I back it up with real world miles of all 3 HDs. It's just like all the other threads bashing other vehicles. Do a poll on here, assuming people will answer truthfully, and a poll on the other forums and come back with that info. Just because you find a few problems between the big 3's millions of trucks, it means nothing, compared to the problems of a relatively high number of issues vs low production/sales of the XD diesel trucks.

·
430 Posts
Just for comparison, the CA report for the Ford was a sample of around 30 reports, out of over 300. There's a lot more room for error compared to the Titan's 108 reports. And BTW, I had 2 1st Gen Titans. 1 was a good truck and the other was a pos. So from my point of view it's 50/50. I've owned 4 ford's and only 1 has bit me, but that was after 160,000 miles, so I'd give Ford an 80/20. See how easy it is to twist numbers around?

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_titan.html

·
515 Posts
I have 12 friends with F250s and 8 of them have had problems (various power train related issues). 2 of my friends returned the vehicles on Lemon law. I've had 1 Ford myself (gasser) and it died with about 105,000 miles on it - needed +$3K in engine work to get it running right again. I really like the fact that Ford never took Govt bail out money and I think their trucks "look" fantastic, really good looking trucks. But there was no way I was going to throw down $50K on a Ford right now given the experiences from friends and myself personally. I've owned Ford, Ram, Tundra, and now a Titan. All mfrs have good vehicles and all have their fair share of problems. I've been really lucky so far with my Titan. The Tundra was rock solid as was the Ram (Hemi). The difference is how the mfr deals with the issues. Toyota seems to be really good from my experience. I'd say based on feedback, Nissan needs to work harder on dealing with issues - but that's mainly from other people as my truck has been perfect thus far.

·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
6Scorpian,

My post was not directed at anyone person specifically, merely an observation. If you took offence from it, it may have hit an exposed nerve. There are trolls on this forum who do noting but bash the Titan and do not own one. My purpose was trying to show that a product cannot be accurately judged just upon postings in forums such as these. The Ford example was a wonderful example of that. If a someone thinking of buying a F250/350nly read those reviews no way in **** would they buy a Ford. Tens of thousands of people buy the Ford trucks every year and what percentage actually ever join or comment on a forum? Probably <5%. The ones who do are either complaining about the Truck, or like me they are simply trying to learn more about it. The other 95% just use the truck and do not have any issues. Look at the number of Titans sold and then the number of active posters on this forum. That is my point. I do not troll the other forums. I merely did a quick google search to find examples to make a point. Big difference.

·
Read Only
198 Posts
I have come across this before on Titan Talk when I owned a 1st Gen. They were nothing but pieces of garbage outdated and good for nothing, and well Im going here plagued with issues. Here are the wayyyyyyyyyy over exaggerated issues and some not, early years the rear end and manifolds not if but when. Funny thing is I dont know one owner who has owned a Titan locally that has had one crack, not saying they don't I just have not physically met a owner who has. Cooler lines on the mid years and still manifolds, rads with smaller brakes complaints. Had one of these as well a 07 my lines did blow but didn't have any of the other issues transmission survived and never had one problem running it hot and dry (more luck than anything maybe). From 09 and up without going to far bullet proof.

All that being said ask any dealer how many power-train grenades they have had. Ill answer not many, end of story. Are they perfect, no of course not but nothing is but not near as bad as whats being reported,,,,,and or reviewed.

Here I see these issues and to be honest I have them, hesitation, slow hard shifting. The more i think about it the worse it gets, IMO I believe some of the threads get going and someone reading thinks my truck does that. Im saying right now on the record overblown, way overblown.

Pick this apart please do I dont mind. But how many transmissions, engines or rear ends are we blowing up....myself saying this guys "I have not heard of 1, not 1". I cant believe how comfortable and well built this truck is, solid.

Ill go one step further though we dont pump out the numbers ford or GM do, were not hearing of these major issues or 1st gen Titans.

·
658 Posts
I have come across this before on Titan Talk when I owned a 1st Gen. They were nothing but pieces of garbage outdated and good for nothing, and well Im going here plagued with issues. Here are the wayyyyyyyyyy over exaggerated issues and some not, early years the rear end and manifolds not if but when. Funny thing is I dont know one owner who has owned a Titan locally that has had one crack, not saying they don't I just have not physically met a owner who has. Cooler lines on the mid years and still manifolds, rads with smaller brakes complaints. Had one of these as well a 07 my lines did blow but didn't have any of the other issues transmission survived and never had one problem running it hot and dry (more luck than anything maybe). From 09 and up without going to far bullet proof.

All that being said ask any dealer how many power-train grenades they have had. Ill answer not many, end of story. Are they perfect, no of course not but nothing is but not near as bad as whats being reported,,,,,and or reviewed.

Here I see these issues and to be honest I have them, hesitation, slow hard shifting. The more i think about it the worse it gets, IMO I believe some of the threads get going and someone reading thinks my truck does that. Im saying right now on the record overblown, way overblown.

Pick this apart please do I dont mind. But how many transmissions, engines or rear ends are we blowing up....myself saying this guys "I have not heard of 1, not 1". I cant believe how comfortable and well built this truck is, solid.

Ill go one step further though we dont pump out the numbers ford or GM do, were not hearing of these major issues or 1st gen Titans.
FYI, Posted a while back... http://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/4...-diesel/11986-engine-replacement-already.html

·
173 Posts
I think brand loyalty has a lot to do with who complains and who doesn't. Skews the numbers if your looking for facts...internet has created a lot of "experts". lots, including myself, switched from one of the big three and the Kool-Aid is pretty strong over there... in my OPINION we are a lot more critical of our trucks because we have all jumped off the deep end (in the sense that this is a NEW truck that hasn't been around since Henry Ford was making it rain), venturing into uncharted territory and we want to make sure we are diligent, discovering issues before they become full blown problems. With the limited number of owners (in comparison to big 3), forums like this will likely be the place of discovery... for those that join. BY FAR this has to be one of the most honest forums I've been on, and I think its all for the aforementioned reasons. OK.. now that I'm done with my overcomplicated and possibly point-missing rant.

The transmission in my Ram 2500 was by far the worst transmission I've had (68rfe) based on personal experience. I know its supposed to be fine as long as you don't tune it but in my experience, it was a ticking time bomb. It did not like climbs, it didn't like downshifting while in a turn. You could smash the pedal to the floor, read a book, and still be waiting for a response (almost got me in some trouble on a few occasions, not just lag). In Texas, lots drive a Ford because their grandpa and dad did, same with chevy (not as many RAM). Wont complain because its the only life they know, and they aint changin any time soon! Also, to make a comment on the Ford's back end dropping like a rock when you put a pebble in the back. I agree with that... my 150 was that way (tomato pineapple... I know) but my research pointed to the same outcome when I was shopping for the RAM 2500. Research was based on asking other campers at campgrounds, proof was in the pudding when they hooked up to leave!

·
27 Posts
Should we really be blaming EPA? The Titan XD is exempt from MPG standards because it's GVWR is over 8500 pounds.

·
14 Posts
I will never buy another Ford.. had 4 each had bad issues including the Spark Plug Blow out issues on the 5.4.. ask any owner of one. 2 out of 3 have same issue.. Ford said not their problem.. who do they think made the problem..

·
1,979 Posts
I will never buy another Ford.. had 4 each had bad issues including the Spark Plug Blow out issues on the 5.4.. ask any owner of one. 2 out of 3 have same issue.. Ford said not their problem.. who do they think made the problem..
I didn't have that problem with my 5.4 nor did my dad. Manufacturers do that all the time, including Nissan. Nissan still hasn't bothered to fix the crappy exhaust manifolds on the 5.6L & they have known there was a problem since 2004.

·
1,644 Posts
They were hit and miss. A lot of that was lack of maintenance and cheap gas causing carbon to build up and increasing compression follow by the 100k spark plug replacement intervals. And titan manifolds are far from the worst. I have done many many many manifolds on the dodge ford toyota chevy of all years and engines

·
1,979 Posts
They were hit and miss. A lot of that was lack of maintenance and cheap gas causing carbon to build up and increasing compression follow by the 100k spark plug replacement intervals. And titan manifolds are far from the worst. I have done many many many manifolds on the dodge ford toyota chevy of all years and engines
Yeah, the plugs needed to be pulled at 50k & replaced with the revised plugs.

·
81 Posts
any v8 vehicle with manifolds that have the cat attached directly to them have problems with cracks. when you have that kind of weight, vibration and heat cycles, nothing you can do other that brace them better, but thats almost impossible

I didn't have that problem with my 5.4 nor did my dad. Manufacturers do that all the time, including Nissan. Nissan still hasn't bothered to fix the crappy exhaust manifolds on the 5.6L & they have known there was a problem since 2004.

·
45 Posts
Ok, lots of complaints about the transmission issues in the Titans...blah blah blah. For those trashing our trucks because of this look at this link. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2017-l5p-duramax-powertrain/882546-2017-tranny-issues.html The other manufacturers are having similar issues. Just check the other forums. The problem is that all these nice shiny new transmissions are controlled by software vs fluid pressure and rpm in the older types of transmissions. The problem is not unique to Nissan. Chevy, Ford, Ram, all seeing same issues. The difference is how the problems are handled. It is funny that aftermarket guys can fix the problems with a software flash/tune while the engineers making the trucks seem clueless.
Good morning ..am a new Titan XD diesel owner. On our first trip cross country pulling a 5th wheel. I have been using the tow mode...and has been fine until yesterday. Seems to have some shifting struggles and the RPMs remain elevated now even at the idle. It all started yesterday. Letting the engine cool last night and will see what the morning brings. Looking for input as to possible causes and solutions. thanks

·
1,324 Posts
Good morning ..am a new Titan XD diesel owner. On our first trip cross country pulling a 5th wheel. I have been using the tow mode...and has been fine until yesterday. Seems to have some shifting struggles and the RPMs remain elevated now even at the idle. It all started yesterday. Letting the engine cool last night and will see what the morning brings. Looking for input as to possible causes and solutions. thanks
More detail. How many days into trip? How many miles on truck? Is it a 2019?

·
45 Posts
More detail. How many days into trip? How many miles on truck? Is it a 2019?
3K on truck. 3 days into trip. 2018 new purchase last January. towing a 12K lb 5th wheel. lots of hills. DEF was low and then things seemed to go weird..increased RPMs...left it in regular mode transmission today and seemed better.

·
1,324 Posts
3K on truck. 3 days into trip. 2018 new purchase last January. towing a 12K lb 5th wheel. lots of hills. DEF was low and then things seemed to go weird..increased RPMs...left it in regular mode transmission today and seemed better.
Thats real heavy liad for regular. Suggest put back in tow mode. Have you had a diesel before? Towed real heavy in mountains? The aisin is an intelligent tranny and will adapt shifting based on last 100 miles or so and may have just been doing that which became noticeable too you on more level grade. Yoyre tranny is still bew and not even broke in. I went bout 7k towing prior to “break-in” being complete as I experienced it

21 - 40 of 50 Posts