Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
79 Posts
Yes, which is also a small issue when its cold outside. Still takes some time when the temp is below 45 to get up to temp, but it does get there and holds it well.
Agreed, mine still took 8 miles of city driving to register this morning. This trans just doesn't run that hot unloaded but the thermostat is still great.

·
616 Posts
This particular thermostat allows some flow at all times to eliminate temperature shock.
It's also required to allow constant flow so the thermostat will actually see the temperature change. If it blocks off flow, hot oil will never get to it to allow it to open.

·
164 Posts
Just installed mine. Mirrored how OP did his. I hate working on my own stuff, what should of taken 15 minutes took 90. However, it's installed and I'll see how it does tonight when I take my girl to basketball practice then work afterwards. I'll keep y'all posted.

Stay frosty

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just installed mine. Mirrored how OP did his. I hate working on my own stuff, what should of taken 15 minutes took 90. However, it's installed and I'll see how it does tonight when I take my girl to basketball practice then work afterwards. I'll keep y'all posted.

Stay frosty
Don't feel bad. Took me a little bit too. I wanted to make sure everything was right.

·
164 Posts
Don't feel bad. Took me a little bit too. I wanted to make sure everything was right.
I love this thing already. Drove to practice and temp gauge is indicating. So tickled right now. Biggest PITA was the bracket, that took the longest.

Stay frosty

·
1,281 Posts
Not a game... practice.

(Alan Iverson interview from years ago... sorry. It’s the white monster ultra that makes me a little giddy in the morning).

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, since it went a little off topic I will give a quick update lol (nice Iverson reference BTW). After driving back and forth to work a couple of days some observations...

1. When cold (outside ambient temp), it still takes a bit to warm up, but it does so steadily until hitting 156 or so. I have not seen a temp above 156 yet.

2. As I noted before, the shifting is more agressive, particularly the downshifting. Its almost, but not quite, as aggressive to downshift as when in tow mode. If I start coasting and tap the brake, it downshifts right away. It did not do that before and it is a pleasant surprise. When accelerating, it downshifts quicker as well.

3. The upshifting is a little strange. It does so positively, but seems to be hunting a bit for the gear. Not flaring, hard to describe. I think the transmission is having to learn again as the fluid is thinner when warm and consequently more line pressure is needed quicker to engage the gears fully. It isnt a problem, just noticeable.

After a couple of weeks I will see how it all shakes out. Overall I think it was a worthwhile investment.

·
164 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The trans now has to relearn because this is something new, but I expect it to learn and smooth out within 7-10 days. I'll keep posting data from my end as time goes on. So far, I'm really enjoying this upgrade/mod.

Stay frosty

·
65 Posts
So a quick update. I took it for a drive today to do some comparisons.

1. For those that say the in dash gauges are junk, not true. They just only register within a specific range. They do respond a little slow compared to reading it with an OBD reader, such as EZLYNK or ScanGauge. The trans temp doesn't begin to register on the factory bar graph until 110°. After that, each tick mark is 15°. The center of the gauge would be 170°, which makes sense as that is the ideal trans fluid temp.

2. This morning it was cold, about 33-38° during my test drive. As a result, the temp still took a little bit of time to get up. It took about 7 minutes to break 100° and 8 minutes to break 110° and register on the factory gauge. Before it wouldn't have registered at any point with no load at this temperature.

3. Temps got to 152-156° and held steady in that range regardless of load. At idle it would drop to 152, but go up to 154-156 when moving.

4. The biggest difference I noticed driving was no shift flare at all when warm (I would get it occasionally before, nothing serious) and much better and crisper downshifting when slowing down or when hammering the go pedal. The improvement in downshifts is very noticeable.

We will see what happens long term,, especially when towing my fifth wheel, but overall I am so far happy with it. Relatively inexpensive and easy for a DIY project. View attachment 44121
If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to display those gauges on you Phoenix radio?

·
616 Posts
Lol, man how long has that been now, he was the man(on the court).
No kidding.. AI was a thing back when I lived in Philly.. he had a house (mansion) a couple of miles from where I lived.

Reactions: HWTechGuy

·
164 Posts
Any new updates to the guys running the stat?
Really enjoy having one. Mad I didn't get one earlier. Trans shifts smooth now, up & down. Gets to temp fast and holds it. I occasionally get a flair, I may opt for a higher temp, but GA summers are pretty stupid and I'll make my mind up after this upcoming summer.

Stay frosty

·
1,476 Posts
Really enjoy having one. Mad I didn't get one earlier. Trans shifts smooth now, up & down. Gets to temp fast and holds it. I occasionally get a flair, I may opt for a higher temp, but GA summers are pretty stupid and I'll make my mind up after this upcoming summer.

Stay frosty
How long does it take to get up to temp

·
164 Posts
How long does it take to get up to temp
I usually see the indication within 5-7 miles. On colder days it takes a bit longer, maybe 10 miles but it'll reach where it's at in the picture in about 15 miles/minutes and hold there. I took that picture after a 3 hour trip in heavy rain. Temp didn't move up or down the entire trip. I plan on installing an inline temp gauge to get actual trans temp coming out of the trans. I'll let y'all know what the outcome is when I do.

Stay frosty

21 - 39 of 39 Posts