Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
113 Posts
How does your Titan pulll your toy hauler? I suspect it is very similar in size and weight to mine that I haven’t pulled yet
It pulls it very well! The truck is very stable and the 7 speed auto in tow mode rarely needs manual shifting. The 5.6 gas V8 is willing to rev and it will on a good incline, but does better overall that the 12 Titan P4X KC it replaced.

·
30 Posts
I Pull RVs for a living, I have found that the Coleman lantern series and the ones with the corrugated metal front ends or Worse on fuel mileage, get the fiberglass smooth side ones and slideouts on both sides of you can afford it it makes a big difference. I have a 2016 Titan XD with the 5.0 diesel engine and I average 12.9 miles per gallon based on the fuel gauge . I have 176606 miles on my truck so you see I pull a lot of RVs.

·
1,331 Posts
I Pull RVs for a living, I have found that the Coleman lantern series and the ones with the corrugated metal front ends or Worse on fuel mileage, get the fiberglass smooth side ones and slideouts on both sides of you can afford it it makes a big difference. I have a 2016 Titan XD with the 5.0 diesel engine and I average 12.9 miles per gallon based on the fuel gauge . I have 176606 miles on my truck so you see I pull a lot of RVs.
Think you have the most miles I’ve seen, any major issues outside of small stuff?

·
185 Posts

QKnunn - Glad to see you're still truckin' and adding on MILES. If I remember correctly, you were at 142K when IT happened. You're still trucking, so I hope you got looked after!

russ

·
30 Posts
There's been some problems with the engine around 135000 miles the EGR cooler was replaced, at 142040 miles the engine was replaced the Crankshaft broke and damaged the block I was told my a Cummins rep. that problem has been fixed in the new engines.

·
1,331 Posts
There's been some problems with the engine around 135000 miles the EGR cooler was replaced, at 142040 miles the engine was replaced the Crankshaft broke and damaged the block I was told my a Cummins rep. that problem has been fixed in the new engines.
Fixed at what point in time? Did Cummins end up stepping up on this in the end, forgot you were the crank guy.

·
30 Posts
QKnunn - Glad to see you're still truckin' and adding on MILES. If I remember correctly, you were at 142K when IT happened. You're still trucking, so I hope you got looked after!

Thanks I'm back on the road I got my truck back in last week of February it took two months for it to get repaired but I'm back to putting miles on it again 176606 .

·
30 Posts
Cummins wash their hands of it they didn't care one of the representatives told me they had some issues with the crank and they knew about it and they repaired it in the new models. My third-party Extended Warranty company pay $9,400 for the repair putting in a new long block.

·
258 Posts
Outdoor kitchens are the best but make sure manufacturer put a good size drip edge above.

Up here outdoor kitchens on campers hurts resale because they're bear magnets. It's a matter of when, not if, a bear tries to get into it. So the value of outdoor kitchens really depends on where you intend on camping.

·
1,331 Posts
Outdoor kitchens are the best but make sure manufacturer put a good size drip edge above.

Up here outdoor kitchens on campers hurts resale because they're bear magnets. It's a matter of when, not if, a bear tries to get into it. So the value of outdoor kitchens really depends on where you intend on camping.
I’ve seen some guys gut the outdoor kitchen and turn it into extra storage etc. I see no need for one.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts

I’ve seen some guys gut the outdoor kitchen and turn it into extra storage etc. I see no need for one.
My favorite feature on them. Use mine all the time saves going into the trailer. To each there own I guess.

·
324 Posts
I'm in the market for a travel trailer. My kids are still very young (twin 3yr olds) and I want to get out on the road with them while they still like me!! The wife and I have decided to purchase a travel trailer but I am very new to this type of camping. I could really use some advice, suggestions, dos/don'ts etc. Any help that you guys and gals could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Lots of good advice so far, some opinions and all good stuff.

My wife and I are in our 2nd travel trailer. Went through the kid phase and now it is all about us, I have some real world experience of exactly what your about to embark on.

Depending on your level of towing and back size matters.
24ft box is the minimum you will want to go with No slide outs and 21ft is the smallest you will want to go with a sofa.dinete slide out. 24ft with sofa/slide is about perfect.

Defenitly want some bunks for the kids. They are young and will probably share the bottom bunk, makes the top bunk great for storage.

The bathroom, This is important. They are small to begin with, get one with some room. Sit on the toilet and make sure you have room. I am not kidding. This is important.

Kitchen counter space is always good.

Upgraded fridge, bigger than the typical size but not residential (new purchase might be needed)

Stay away from these, some opinions base on experience:

Rear bed only slide outs. Been there done that.
Slide outs on the front porch/front door side. Takes up most or all of your outdoor living area and awnings are smaller.

My personal loves and things I will always have from now on with any TT purchase

Outdoor kitchen of some kind. Mine is simple. Small fridge and a slide out table where I keep a propane stove and there is a sink there. Yes there is storage but Inuse it for my hoses and lights for outdoor cooking. I rarely cook inside.

Propane connection for a propane grill out the back

Lots of kitchen counter space, I have a rear kitchen that had loads of counter space.

Large bathroom with a glass shower surround door.

Memory foam or sleep number mattress. RV mattresses suck. You can always add a 3” memory foam topper.

You have two choices. Buy new or buy used.

First coach buy used. 1-3 years old. Don’t buy an old POS, your wife will want to be comfy and will not want old.
Used, expect to make some minor repairs and have to do some cleaning.

New, get a warranty.

They all make pretty food campers these days. I am partial to the Thor Industry brand, Keystone specifically. They have a lot of great options with bunks and are well made. My dad has a 27ft Hideout. Nice rig as well and pretty inexpensive.

Stay at 80% or less of your Tow rating. Just a general rule and one I recommend. Your truck will thank you.
Go looking and look for a long time. Unless something just grabs you and says buy me, resist. Deals will be had later and there is no shortage of TT’s on the market.

My current TT is a 2017 Keystone Bullet Premier 29RKPR. Light and tows like a dream.

·
113 Posts
I agree with Shane above... however, you must know that the outdoor kitchens in every case I've seen comes with a 110 volt fridge. It's just a mini fridge and must have shore power or generator for it to work. Maybe some are now coming with an RV fridge, but if not, and you're camping in the woods, it's not too useful. We drove 2 1/2 hours to see one years ago... so excited about an outdoor kitchen, to find a mini fridge in there. Meh.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
You pull for a living but do you get to enjoy them? For longevity the alum sided is the best option. I have pulled both as well with pretty good miles and I will take your word for the alum sided being worse on fuel. But I think that would be more so because they are generally a heavier trailer.

·
30 Posts
When I deliver the new trailers to the dealerships I never stay in them that's one of the good things about the Nissan Titan the front seat folds all the way down and I'm able to make a bed in my truck on the passenger side and I use an air conditioner attached to the bed of my truck and a generator to keep me cool and warm at night.

·
16 Posts
Cummins wash their hands of it they didn't care one of the representatives told me they had some issues with the crank and they knew about it and they repaired it in the new models. My third-party Extended Warranty company pay $9,400 for the repair putting in a new long block.

Where did you find an extended warranty that takes you beyond 100K miles?

Also don't the new HD diesels come with at 250K on the engine?

·
172 Posts
Yeah same here 60,000miles on motor and 100,000 on exhaust.
After reading some of the scary stories about crankshafts failing, I’m in touch with my dealer to buy the longest extended warranty I can. Nissan Canada will let you buy the extended any time in the manufacturer warranty period from the looks of it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts