Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the article.......

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1608-could-the-2016-nissan-titan-xd-pro-4x-be-a-ram-power-wagon-competitor/

As much as I like my Pro4x this comparison is bananas! The Powerwagon - in my opinion - is the holy grail of off-road capability in work trucks and Nissan would need to do a LOT more than "a few modifications" to make it a direct competitor as the article attempts to state.

Your thoughts? Could "a few modifications" make the Pro4x a legitimate Powerwagon competitor? Could it be done as easily as the article seems to think?

·
214 Posts
Well, from my experience in off-roading, low rev torque is what always got me over the obstacle. Those who followed me and got stuck are those who tried to floor it and lost traction. The best off-road trucks are still Land Cruiser 70's, available in every country where nature hasn't been thamed yet...
This said, the XD Pro-4x is way too long and doesn't have a front locker, so I would not consider it a Powerwagon competitor.

·
1,300 Posts
My 87 Toyota 4Runner Crawler is on 37's lockers front and rear... it only has the 22RE 4Cyl maybe 120HP on a good day lol... But ive got Dual Transfer cases to have a way higher crawl ratio, if your real 4x4ing (not hill billy bogging) you want the Crawl Ratio/ torque. I go more places in my truck than guys with big blocks all the time. Now guys with big blocks and dual cases that's a different story Im last playing catch up lol

The Pro4X could very easily be a better truck than the power wagon it just needs more travel in the front end and the extra locker. If it was set up the same as a power wagon with disconnecting sway bar locked front and rear and all that jazz from the factory and they removed the torque management i bet it would out wheel a power wagon hands down.

Ive been "off roading" in my friends power wagon and was not very impressed, too much wheel spin not enough torque and the gearing was the shits it was always hunting to find the right gear, and it got stuck a lot more than i thought it would, might be why there is a built in winch lol.

Reactions: Carbide

·
658 Posts
My 87 Toyota 4Runner Crawler is on 37's lockers front and rear... it only has the 22RE 4Cyl maybe 120HP on a good day lol... But ive got Dual Transfer cases to have a way higher crawl ratio, if your real 4x4ing (not hill billy bogging) you want the Crawl Ratio/ torque. I go more places in my truck than guys with big blocks all the time. Now guys with big blocks and dual cases that's a different story Im last playing catch up lol

The Pro4X could very easily be a better truck than the power wagon it just needs more travel in the front end and the extra locker. If it was set up the same as a power wagon with disconnecting sway bar locked front and rear and all that jazz from the factory and they removed the torque management i bet it would out wheel a power wagon hands down.

Ive been "off roading" in my friends power wagon and was not very impressed, too much wheel spin not enough torque and the gearing was the shits it was always hunting to find the right gear, and it got stuck a lot more than i thought it would, might be why there is a built in winch lol.
That's a lot of "ifs" and since the article asked if the XD Pro4x was a Power Wagon competitor, we have to assume stock comparison on both. No way the XD even comes close IMHO.

·
1,300 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^

Reactions: XDHunter and Jtp

·
18 Posts
If I want to off road, I have a Samurai.
These trucks are too big, long, and expensive for me to wheel.
The furthest most people go off road is there DRIVEWAY.

Although I will say I have genuine snow tires, and have been done many back roads in12"+ of deep snow, where ground clearance and real 4x4 is required.

·
712 Posts
Forest service roads or dirt county roads to me are not off roading.
The places that I off road you wouldn't get this truck thru. Not even if you hated it.

It wouldn't fit, doesn't turn tight enough, wheelbase is too long, too much overhang.
Oh, and I'm not rich enough to beat a truck that costs nearly $60K across Jeep trails.

We take the 4x4 vehicles out on dirt roads once a month and run several miles in 4Hi and 4Lo.
I've seen too many folks not use 4WD for months and then when it's needed it doesn't work.

For trails I like my Samurai. For dirt road running the FJ I had was the best.
Very planted, great stock suspension and would climb really well if you needed it to.

·
348 Posts
My 04 Titan is 2wd, but I had a 92 Wrangler 4x4, mild mods, for off road, sold it when I bought the XD. As much as my ass puckers, I have accepted the fact that deer hunting is funner than having a scratch free truck, just can't abuse it like the old one (yet). I have put mine through the "nails on the chalkboard" sound with limbs and brush as I found out the tractor doing the cutting is not as wide as my truck. On a good note, I discovered that if you use a tennis ball to rub the scratches during a wash, they basically disappear.

·
80 Posts
this shouldn't even be a topic. the ram power wagon hands down is the only off-road worthy pickup truck ever made. From the factory it has a built in winch,disconnecting front sways,locking front diff, massive ground clearance, proper off road tires,6.4 hemi, etc. Ram couldn't put the diesel in b/c the 6.7 cummins is to **** big and wouldn't clear the winch.

·
1 Posts
Not apples to apples, but I'm currently cross shopping between a gas XD Pro-4x and a Ram Power Wagon. Both should be able to handle towing my 24', 7500lb enclosed Car hauler and my 7000lb dump trailer. The dump trailer is used to move / spread dirt, compost, wood chips, and gravel around the farm. It can get quite muddy in the spring time. I gotten my '04 Titan stuck a few times. My 04 titan doesn't have a diff locker which doesn't help. I was hopping to find a 2017 leftover and get a good deal on it, but no luck so far finding one in the color and options I want for either truck.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
As much as my ass puckers, I have accepted the fact that deer hunting is funner than having a scratch free truck, just can't abuse it like the old one (yet).
^ This.

I mean it is a truck...I bought mine to use it, not go to car shows. That said, I do not intentionally abuse it either.

I mean I paid $40k for my 2007 FJ Cruiser new with all the TRD extras and I off roaded the **** out of that thing. I only paid $44 for this truck 10 years later. I do not feel like its too expensive to not take on camping, fishing, hunting, or just plain fun trips off road. Sure its not a SWB or a rock crawler, but so far it has gone all the places I took my FJ and my Land Cruiser.

Different people have different ideas about off roading. I say just do what you are comfortable with and enjoy the truck. Seems to be pretty capable so far IMO.

On a side note, the Power Wagon and Toyota Land Cruiser were the only trucks I compared the Titan to. As far as the Power Wagon...Yes I know it does not have all the off road goodies that the RAM has, but I loved the engine too much on the Titan. If Toyota offered their 4.5 Twin Turbo V8 diesel here like they do overseas, I would have got that above them all(and yes I would still be willing to wheel / off road a $86K truck). If Dodge would have picked this engine up and put it in the Power Wagon or Toyota had the diesel here, I probably would not be here on these forums. After four diesels.......well I guess I'm just "that" diesel guy now, and enjoy the low rev available torque.

·
27 Posts
My dedicated offroad/overlanding rig is a highly modified 2012 Land Rover LR4 with factory rear locker. Shorter wheelbase than JKU, 1 inch wider than a JKU, tighter turning circle than a JKU. Unfortunately, it can't be lifted as high as a JKU, but, I can fit a queen size air mattress in the back to sleep in it :).

Pro4X (and I own one) is not, and can't really be an offroader. Too long, too heavy, too wide. It quite literally would not fit in many places I have taken the Rover. No amount of mods can change those basic characteristics of it. I view it a more of a don't get stuck in the mud on the way to the rifle range/deer lease type vehicle.

If I am heading out overland, I am taking the Rover every single time.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I understand, trust me I do...I wish they sold the the 79 series Land Cruiser here. Or some other nice diesel option. Although I am holding my breath for the new Wrangler JL with a diesel. They keep teasing it. I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel, this engine would be so nice and plenty of power in a Wrangler.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I wish there was more diesel options here.

Its depressing when I go with my wifes home country and they have all the awesome diesels that we can not get here. I am guessing most companies do not want to deal with the EPA here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts