Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it today.
Proven Diesel emissions tunes egr off, dpf and scr on.
Full support package, sotf 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 bumps.

Think I might visit my local dyno after some learning.

·
671 Posts
Didnt know that was an option. The EGR is half the problem, DPF is the other half. How does it run? Notice a big difference?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just a little less clean

Didnt know that was an option. The EGR is half the problem, DPF is the other half. How does it run? Notice a big difference?
Been searching for this type of tune since November when I purchased my truck.
Spent some time getting to know my truck and changing some things to make it just right.
For me deleting the dpf on prior diesels did not really add a lot and I prefer not to be rolling any coal.
Putting hot sticky exhaust gas back into the motor to reduce nox is where I have an issue and 1/3 my driving is around town.
I purchased the tune today and from all accounts I expect the same power increases as a tune/delete but I still have to pay for def.

You have to give me some time for driving results and I will put it on the dyno to prove it.

·
1,324 Posts
Spent some time getting to know my truck and changing some things to make it just right.
For me deleting the dpf on prior diesels did not really add a lot and I prefer not to be rolling any coal.
Putting hot sticky exhaust gas back into the motor to reduce nox is where I have an issue and 1/3 my driving is around town.
I purchased the tune today and from all accounts I expect the same power increases as a tune/delete but I still have to pay for def.

You have to give me some time for driving results and I will put it on the dyno to prove it.
Hear ya on coal. Says come gimmie ticket.
Egr is the real enemy. Exhaust Flow will be sufficient for lower tunes. Def use will increase no? How the heck regen will work baffles me. Doesnt egr need to work to regen and have def function properly?!

Main concern i would have is heat inside engine bay/egts?

·
118 Posts

Egr is the real enemy. Exhaust Flow will be sufficient for lower tunes. Def use will increase no? How the heck regen will work baffles me. Doesnt egr need to work to regen and have def function properly?!

I’m also curious to see how regens will work as well. If it functions sufficiently this may be the route I go as well! Has there been any other on this forum that have done only a tune + EGR delete while keeping dpf intact?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here's the note I sent to Proven Diesel. I also sent this request to HPP and CA, they declined.

I could do it today if you are ready.
My request would be a full support package, sotf, unlock cable.
Asking for egr delete on all 5 tunes with the dpf and scr systems active.
I am hoping that your tunes dial back some of the high exhaust fluid usage to reasonable levels.

They agreed to this.
Regens will still occur probably on the 24 hour clock.
Without egr the intake and resulting exhaust gases will be cleaner and cooler.
All the stock sensors for the dpf scr will still be in place and functioning, I expect to see egt's drop.

·
1,324 Posts

Here's the note I sent to Proven Diesel. I also sent this request to HPP and CA, they declined.

I could do it today if you are ready.
My request would be a full support package, sotf, unlock cable.
Asking for egr delete on all 5 tunes with the dpf and scr systems active.
I am hoping that your tunes dial back some of the high exhaust fluid usage to reasonable levels.

They agreed to this.
Regens will still occur probably on the 24 hour clock.
Without egr the intake and resulting exhaust gases will be cleaner and cooler.
All the stock sensors for the dpf scr will still be in place and functioning, I expect to see egt's drop.
When you run higher hp you are adding more fuel, more burn, more heat than stock but your stock exhaust diameter remains the same and emissions still intact and restrictive. So i dunno bout lower egts...
How do u figure?
If on stock power setting yeah but those other sotf levels gonna increase heat no?

·
671 Posts
I think that type of tune is a nice option. I hate the EGR the most, but regens are a close second. I would imagine you'll see increased frequency in regens now though, as more soot tries to escape through the tailpipe instead of making the second trip through the engine.

·
160 Posts
Count me as curious on this one as well. Been debating pros and cons, and the biggest con is black smoky exhaust.

As to how the regen is affected with the EGR electronically disabled, short answer is it should have no effect.

I've had an OBD2 scan tool for about a year and half. I have viewed the DPF temp and EGR position while driving for much of that time. I can tell you with certainty that the EGR is fully closed during regen. DPF gets up to 1000 +/- 150 deg F during regen, and runs between 400-600 during unloaded normal driving. Towing and/or hills push it up a bit.

My question to any and all is why are low EGT's such a good thing? My preference would be for the EGT's to be in the 600-700F range nominally as this would promote passive regeneration which begins to occur above 600F

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When you run higher hp you are adding more fuel, more burn, more heat than stock but your stock exhaust diameter remains the same and emissions still intact and restrictive. So i dunno bout lower egts...
How do u figure?
If on stock power setting yeah but those other sotf levels gonna increase heat no?
Bmw: I think that type of tune is a nice option. I hate the EGR the most, but regens are a close second. I would imagine you'll see increased frequency in regens now though, as more soot tries to escape through the tailpipe instead of making the second trip through the engine.

For gasoline engines, the stoichiometric, A/F ratio is 14.7:1, which means 14.7 parts of air to one part of fuel. The stoichiometric AFR depends on fuel type-- for alcohol it is 6.4:1 and 14.5:1 for diesel.
You are adding more fuel but also more air. 14.5 parts air to 1 part diesel. Ideally this should be constant no matter how much power you are making.
The upper tune levels increase fueling and alter injector timing, with equal air and increased boost pressures.

Regens occur when injector timing is altered and fuel is injected into the combustion chamber while the exhaust valve is open. Just like a full delete tune you will have less sticky soot without egr.
The stock exhaust is 4" all the way through just like the 4"race pipes sold for deletes.
Here is what a dpf core looks like again not very restrictive. (just happened to fall out with my grinder)

JBouy: My question to any and all is why are low EGT's such a good thing? My preference would be for the EGT's to be in the 600-700F range nominally as this would promote passive regeneration which begins to occur above 600F

Good point I expect my egt's to be right in the 6-700 range under light/normal load, low 500's @ idle.

Attachments

·
1,324 Posts
How do u figure?
I think that type of tune is a nice option. I hate the EGR the most, but regens are a close second. I would imagine you'll see increased frequency in regens now though, as more soot tries to escape through the tailpipe instead of making the second trip through the engine.

For gasoline engines, the stoichiometric, A/F ratio is 14.7:1, which means 14.7 parts of air to one part of fuel. The stoichiometric AFR depends on fuel type-- for alcohol it is 6.4:1 and 14.5:1 for diesel.
You are adding more fuel but also more air. 14.5 parts air to 1 part diesel. Ideally this should be constant no matter how much power you are making.
The upper tune levels increase fueling and alter injector timing, with equal air and increased boost pressures.

Regens occur when injector timing is altered and fuel is injected into the combustion chamber while the exhaust valve is open. Just like a full delete tune you will have less sticky soot without egr.
The stock exhaust is 4" all the way through just like the 4"race pipes sold for deletes.
Here is what a dpf core looks like again not very restrictive. (just happened to fall out with my grinder)

JBouy: My question to any and all is why are low EGT's such a good thing? My preference would be for the EGT's to be in the 600-700F range nominally as this would promote passive regeneration which begins to occur above 600F

Good point I expect my egt's to be right in the 6-700 range under light/normal load, low 500's @ idle.
With that theoretical a/f ratio each tune level should put out the same amou t of soot cuz when fuel increases so does air and theoretically equal burn.

The practical facts are that with each higher tune level you select our trucks will emit very significant increases of coal. I don’t believe youre ideally theory will be reality but you will have an egt probe and way to monitor them?

·
423 Posts
That a/f ratio doesn't apply to diesels like gas engines, the engines operate completely different due to spark ignition vs compression ignition.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no smoke please

With that theoretical a/f ratio each tune level should put out the same amou t of soot cuz when fuel increases so does air and theoretically equal burn.

The practical facts are that with each higher tune level you select our trucks will emit very significant increases of coal. I don’t believe youre ideally theory will be reality but you will have an egt probe and way to monitor them?
I don't know the answer to this.
I just know that I was looking for a different product.
I have owned other diesel vehicles. A 1996 12 valve Cummins no smoke some visible particles after I turned up the fueling and let it breathe (banks engineering).
I owned 2 Mercedes V6 diesels trucks with the same motor. A 2007 320 cdi and a 2007 Sprinter with 1st a Rennsprort tune that left all emissions on.
2nd a Green Diesel tune that eliminated egr flow then the same GD tune with dpf delete (almost no visible particles). Mine ran just as well and got the same mileage with and without the dpf.
We still own a 2011 BMW 335d, no smoke and that car will get sideways shifting into 4th gear with the traction control off stock, the tune is crazy fast, no smoke or particles, dpf on.
I expect the same from my Titan awesome performance with no smoke or visible particles.
I guess that makes me a freak.

·
1,324 Posts

I don't know the answer to this.
I just know that I was looking for a different product.
I have owned other diesel vehicles. A 1996 12 valve Cummins no smoke some visible particles after I turned up the fueling and let it breathe (banks engineering).
I owned 2 Mercedes V6 diesels trucks with the same motor. A 2007 320 cdi and a 2007 Sprinter with 1st a Rennsprort tune that left all emissions on.
2nd a Green Diesel tune that eliminated egr flow then the same GD tune with dpf delete (almost no visible particles). Mine ran just as well and got the same mileage with and without the dpf.
We still own a 2011 BMW 335d, no smoke and that car will get sideways shifting into 4th gear with the traction control off stock, the tune is crazy fast, no smoke or particles, dpf on.
I expect the same from my Titan awesome performance with no smoke or visible particles.
I guess that makes me a freak.
Not a freak. Did you know that in Europe all cummins have no egr at all and the emissions is all exhaust and cleans better tham american standards!?! Id be totally cool with that!
Google: Stage 5 cummins Europe

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
this was a pm...

Ksalway said:
Hey man, if you don’t mind me asking how much was it for your tune and did you order it directly through proven diesel? I know my titan stock is doing 0-60 in the 9 second range what’s yours running estimate now versus stock. See any big changes in fuel economy? I think this is a good route for me as the law enforcement in my area has been hammering down on deleted diesels
Sorry I just yesterday ordered the tune package but I will post my results when I get some.
I bought it from Proven Diesel direct and it was $1,062.90 for the 5 tunes, unlimited support, sotf and the cable, delivered.

·
100 Posts
I’m also curious to see how regens will work as well. If it functions sufficiently this may be the route I go as well! Has there been any other on this forum that have done only a tune + EGR delete while keeping dpf intact?
I use TunerCal 60 HP Emissions intact tune. it's a local tuner who has been tuning trucks for over 10 years. Coopers Custom Solutions (CCS)

Its a great tune with great drivability and excellent throttle response. I'm sure a throttle delay is still there but its so minor and now I'm just use to it. Regens and DEF use are up partially because of too much short trip city driving. I take a Henday ring road trip at highway speed once a month to help run the engine. No SOFT switch or multiple tunes available.

Waiting for the Atlas 4" race pipe with muffler to be delivered before updating the tune to DEF, SCR, EGR bypass. Should get it done sometime this summer before pulling the trailer.

·
317 Posts
Sorry I just yesterday ordered the tune package but I will post my results when I get some.
I bought it from Proven Diesel direct and it was $1,062.90 for the 5 tunes, unlimited support, sotf and the cable, delivered.
Can't wait for your review as this is the way I will go. Back earlier on, when I first got my titan I called GDE and tried to get them on board with this titan, well, didn't happen. If you have read the forums on what vehicles GDE supports, they are awesome.
If PD will build tunes to support the way that GDE does, then I'm all in.

·
1,324 Posts
Can't wait for your review as this is the way I will go. Back earlier on, when I first got my titan a called GDE and tried to get them on board with this titan, well, didn't happen. If you have read the forums on what vehicles GDE supports, they are awesome.
If PD will build tunes to support the way that GDE does, then I'm all in.
Gde is awesome. Got a wk with the om642 runnin hot tune. Keith should have jumped on this platform

1 - 20 of 184 Posts