Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
98 Posts
What’s the point? Unless it’s just an inspection issue, if you take it to a dealership they can still data log it and find out what you’re up to.

·
66 Posts
What’s the point? Unless it’s just an inspection issue, if you take it to a dealership they can still data log it and find out what you’re up to.
From the 4th post on the first page of this thread

garyjs
"Been searching for this type of tune since November when I purchased my truck.
Spent some time getting to know my truck and changing some things to make it just right.
For me deleting the dpf on prior diesels did not really add a lot and I prefer not to be rolling any coal.
Putting hot sticky exhaust gas back into the motor to reduce nox is where I have an issue and 1/3 my driving is around town.
I purchased the tune today and from all accounts I expect the same power increases as a tune/delete but I still have to pay for def."

·
3 Posts
just a little less clean

Been searching for this type of tune since November when I purchased my truck.
Spent some time getting to know my truck and changing some things to make it just right.
For me deleting the dpf on prior diesels did not really add a lot and I prefer not to be rolling any coal.
Putting hot sticky exhaust gas back into the motor to reduce nox is where I have an issue and 1/3 my driving is around town.
I purchased the tune today and from all accounts I expect the same power increases as a tune/delete but I still have to pay for def.

You have to give me some time for driving results and I will put it on the dyno to prove it.
Have you ever smelt the fumes from the def .it smells and is very bad for you

·
8 Posts
@garyjs

Thanks for your detailed and organized answers throughout this post. It makes it easier to keep up with conversation.

In your case, you elected to keep the SCR. Is the ONLY reason because you live in an area that has emissions testing and checkpoints? I am in central WI and will be pursuing your same set up with Proven Diesel. But in my area, there is no emissions testing of any kind. I would think it'd be awesome to not ever have to worry about DEF moving forward, but am wondering if there are any other implications of a SCR-disabling tune that I'm not thinking about? Besides overall smell?

If anyone else has any input, feel free to weigh in! I appreciate any insight. I'm a little new to the diesel world, but I do understand the fundamentals.

·
277 Posts
@garyjs

Thanks for your detailed and organized answers throughout this post. It makes it easier to keep up with conversation.

In your case, you elected to keep the SCR. Is the ONLY reason because you live in an area that has emissions testing and checkpoints? I am in central WI and will be pursuing your same set up with Proven Diesel. But in my area, there is no emissions testing of any kind. I would think it'd be awesome to not ever have to worry about DEF moving forward, but am wondering if there are any other implications of a SCR-disabling tune that I'm not thinking about? Besides overall smell?

If anyone else has any input, feel free to weigh in! I appreciate any insight. I'm a little new to the diesel world, but I do understand the fundamentals.
Look at post #4

Stay frosty

·
8 Posts
Look at post #4

Stay frosty
Hi Spewitt, it looks like post #4 is more aimed at explaining why he elected to keep the DPF. My question is about the SCR which to my knowledge is completely separate of the DPF. It gets very cold where I live, so aside from having to pay / worry about DEF, I'm considering deleting that system (in conjunction with a SCR-deleting tune).

·
412 Posts
Ex-cheesehead here currently in Alaska (Go Pack Go!!). Don't sweat the DEF in cold temps. We get much colder than you'll ever get and I've never had an issue (knock on wood). And I wouldn't worry about the doom-and-gloom from some on this forum about emissions equipment either. We're loaded with diesels up here (including most of my friends & colleagues) and I've never heard a single person have issues with their emissions.

·
277 Posts
Hi Spewitt, it looks like post #4 is more aimed at explaining why he elected to keep the DPF. My question is about the SCR which to my knowledge is completely separate of the DPF. It gets very cold where I live, so aside from having to pay / worry about DEF, I'm considering deleting that system (in conjunction with a SCR-deleting tune).
According to him, I don't remember what post it was, but you're not really gaining anything from removing the filter and cats. Just sound and smoke. I, like the OP, don't want an EGR but don't really mind having a filter under my truck or a tank that I must fill with cat piss, but I also don't want to "roll coal" either. I plan on getting a clean tune soon and maybe a dirty one later. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Stay frosty

·
1 Posts
Wow. Well i have the pedal commander and i run city 2 (just 2nd level above midway - has sport and sport plus levels after the city) and i run tune 2 (40hp i think?)
I tow good bit and trying to limit smoke cuz for some teason my truck loves spewing coal
Are you saying pedal commander adds HP? Or you use both pedal commander and idrive?

·
28 Posts
I have read through this entire thread and am very interested. I'm also impressed at the level of thought put into some of the posts here. My question is (and I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere), is the EGR on Gary's truck physically blocked off...or does the tune electrically disable it? Also, if I purchase the same package with full support...will I have access to both emissions intact AND emissions deleted tunes, or was that part of the glitch in Gary's order? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
968 Posts
I have read through this entire thread and am very interested. I'm also impressed at the level of thought put into some of the posts here. My question is (and I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere), is the EGR on Gary's truck physically blocked off...or does the tune electrically disable it? Also, if I purchase the same package with full support...will I have access to both emissions intact AND emissions deleted tunes, or was that part of the glitch in Gary's order? Thanks in advance for the help.
you don’t get both sets of tunes, Gary got hooked up by accident LOL.
As far as the EGR question, I’m not sure about the emissions Tunes, but my PD ‘deleted’ tunes disable the EGR electronically.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Pretty sure emissions tunes is just that, all emissions stuff including egr is still functioning, the motor is just tuned now.

·
28 Posts
Gary’s very first post stated:

“I did it today.
Proven Diesel emissions tunes egr off, dpf and scr on.
Full support package, sotf 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 bumps”

Maybe I’m misreading...

·
968 Posts
Gary’s very first post stated:

“I did it today.
Proven Diesel emissions tunes egr off, dpf and scr on.
Full support package, sotf 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 bumps”

Maybe I’m misreading...
He also got a whole extra set of tunes by accident. So, clearly mistakes were made. That other guy on here who just bought same package still has his EGR on- so who knows what the actual standard is.

I have PDs deleted tunes and they are fantastic, BTW.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Your warranty will be void on at least your powertrain.. Currently you have no warranty on any of the Emissions system since Nissan wrote it in the warranty book. Diesels are not covered on emissions in states that do not have emission testing.. And the parts for the emission system are all very expensive. Nox sensors, two sensors that are programed to be together.. sell individually and cost $600 each and are prone to failure.. the SCR another one of those that seems to be prone to a premature failure is $4000, and that is one that is a replace and see.. I assume it is not an approved Nissan repair... as there is no diagnostics for it according to the Nissan Service Department. They got the advice on a Nissan Diesel Tech line. And there are worse things concerning the system.. or getting stuck in Limp mode in the middle of nowhere and not way to get home, or maybe no help if cell phone is not working. The DPF like all DPF's clog up at some point in time.. no telling when. If you had a turbo, or a EGR failure that will advance the clogging and may destroy the entire emissions system.. that is not under a warranty. Nothing tells the Techs that in the repairs manual so Nissan does not cover that. There is a recall on both the EGR and the Turbo too! That is why Nissan stopped selling the Diesels. I bet they have been sued too many times. They put out a new manual due to California lawsuit on warranty.. but they made that statement specifically for California.. Let me know if you had any other experiences please as my 2016 Titan PR is sitting in my garage with 23,000 miles on it disabled due to the, as the service techs said online comments to replace the SCR. I am on the edge Delete or remove SCR and have it ultrasonically cleaned for $450 and see if that fix works so I do not void my (pointless) extended warranty sold by the dealer, with 125,000 miles left on warranty..

·
412 Posts
We do not emissions test here and Nissan honors the emissions warranty. So what funky2me states is a bunch of bunk. Every XD has, at a minimum, a 5yr/50k emissions warranty. And it covers the SCR that funky2me is stating they don't cover. The only way you're not covered, and I suspect this is funky2me's issue, is if you mod something that voids the warranty.

·
700 Posts
So my itch got the better of me today on waiting for my soft switch to arrive with the holidays and instead I installed DGP emissions intact 60hp single tune. Ez-lynk was flawless took about 5 minutes with no issues. Took the truck for a varied test spin in town and on the Highway for about an hour. So far I like the results. I am running an afe dry filter, mishimoto intake tube and a iDrive I usually leave set in AC mode.
Might be wishful thinking but I feel the motor sounds better and no def smell like before. DEF, and fuel were recently topped off and soot load is currently about 20%. I’ll post again after I have a regen.🤣🤠👍

·
700 Posts
Installed my SOFT tune and switch. Still running the 60 go tune. No other updates. Hardest part was getting the paper off the back of the dial to stick it on the dash. Ran the soft harness beside the emergency brake cable. Bailing wire poked a neat hole and brought the harness through. Dabbed some liquid electrical tape on it to seal it up. Went with easiest location for the switch.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts