Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an interesting development in this area, my truck has issued the fault code for the turbo actuator twice; on the first occasion (which was more than 6 months ago) a visit to the dealership resulted in a reprogramming of the ecu per Nissan and the fault was gone. The second occurance happened after a long, hard, and fast trip which took me from the central plains through the mountains to the east coast and back. Long hard engine work interstate+ speeds, with multiple altitude, weather, temp changes. Code occurred after my arrival on the east coast, visit to local dealership resulted in another programming update a recommendation from the technician was that THE ACTUATOR SHOULD BE REPLACED. They would have had to order it, it was on back order BUT I needed to return west within a few days. Technician said they reset code, new programming most likely will keep it from returning in the foreseeable future and I shouldn't have any problems driving home. No observable problems on trip home although it wasn't worked as hard (light load).

I took it to local dealership a couple of weeks after returning home to have actuator replaced and they said they are unable to do it under warranty because the code is NOT CURRENTLY displaying (despite my documentation from the other dealership), the actuator appears (???) To be functioning, and since the updated programming currently keeps the fault code from occurring I'm at an impasse.

My local dealership seemed confident that a complaint ticket through Nissan Customer Care would result in a warranty repair authorization but that the process does not allow the dealership to initiate the warranty repair w/o a current active code and the system doesn't allow them to initiate the repair based on the east coast dealership's diagnosis.

Talk about going around and around....seems I'll get it done eventually under warranty but they don't always make it easy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Sorry to hear that but that's pretty standard, no active code no warranty work.
Press the issue you have the documentation Nissan will do it but beware of collateral damage.
Who is your dealer and how much warranty do you have left?

·
780 Posts
Garyjs makes a good point, beware of dealer repairs as most dealers really don’t have the parts or the trained personnel for our trucks anymore. Also even if an error pops while under warranty is no assurance that same issue will be covered after warranty. There is a good video on YouTube showing how to replace this.

·
24 Posts
I took my 2017 XD SL into the dealership yesterday for what I thought was a battery issue - slow start on these cold Ohio mornings - they are telling me the turbo actuator is the source of the code. After reading the posts - thinking I'm going to push them to evaluate the turbo itself. I have heard in the past that the actuator going bad is caused by a dirty turbo - replacing the actuator isn't a long term fix if thats the case. Hoping the tech at the dealership reads the same material I do.....

·
24 Posts
On a side note to the original post, I'm supposed to haul a 7,000lb trailer to RI (from Youngstown Ohio) this weekend - dead head to Bridgton Maine, pick up a 7,800lb trailer and return to Ohio. Hope this issue is resolved. I have already been KO'd on the side of I-75 in Michigan when the CP4 pump failed. Ugh.....

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a side note to the original post, I'm supposed to haul a 7,000lb trailer to RI (from Youngstown Ohio) this weekend - dead head to Bridgton Maine, pick up a 7,800lb trailer and return to Ohio. Hope this issue is resolved. I have already been KO'd on the side of I-75 in Michigan when the CP4 pump failed. Ugh.....
auth: 2 separate Cummins trained mechanics, if the fault code is for slow/timed out/delayed actuator function the vehicle is still safe to operate (so long as code doesn't threaten to de-rate performance) so you can complete trip w/o worry of damage but performance might be off.

One of Nissan's "fixes" for the slow actuator function is a re-flash of the ecu extending the time allowed for the actuator to move...low cost band-aid (Kinda like when military/law enforcement recruitment was bad because too many recruits weren't meeting fitness requirements so they just lowered the requirements...)

·
3 Posts
As an interesting development in this area, my truck has issued the fault code for the turbo actuator twice; on the first occasion (which was more than 6 months ago) a visit to the dealership resulted in a reprogramming of the ecu per Nissan and the fault was gone. The second occurance happened after a long, hard, and fast trip which took me from the central plains through the mountains to the east coast and back. Long hard engine work interstate+ speeds, with multiple altitude, weather, temp changes. Code occurred after my arrival on the east coast, visit to local dealership resulted in another programming update a recommendation from the technician was that THE ACTUATOR SHOULD BE REPLACED. They would have had to order it, it was on back order BUT I needed to return west within a few days. Technician said they reset code, new programming most likely will keep it from returning in the foreseeable future and I shouldn't have any problems driving home. No observable problems on trip home although it wasn't worked as hard (light load).

I took it to local dealership a couple of weeks after returning home to have actuator replaced and they said they are unable to do it under warranty because the code is NOT CURRENTLY displaying (despite my documentation from the other dealership), the actuator appears (???) To be functioning, and since the updated programming currently keeps the fault code from occurring I'm at an impasse.

My local dealership seemed confident that a complaint ticket through Nissan Customer Care would result in a warranty repair authorization but that the process does not allow the dealership to initiate the warranty repair w/o a current active code and the system doesn't allow them to initiate the repair based on the east coast dealership's diagnosis.

Talk about going around and around....seems I'll get it done eventually under warranty but they don't always make it easy.

Definitely send a complaint. I have had tons of turbo issues with my Titan XD. Of all things had to have the rotary control turbine valve replaced, and the exhaust pressure sensor went bad and was causing all kinds of turbo problems. I love the truck, but I have had some many issues with it. I'm bummed since I have always been a Nissan guy.

·
1 Posts
auth: 2 separate Cummins trained mechanics, if the fault code is for slow/timed out/delayed actuator function the vehicle is still safe to operate (so long as code doesn't threaten to de-rate performance) so you can complete trip w/o worry of damage but performance might be off.

One of Nissan's "fixes" for the slow actuator function is a re-flash of the ecu extending the time allowed for the actuator to move...low cost band-aid (Kinda like when military/law enforcement recruitment was bad because too many recruits weren't meeting fitness requirements so they just lowered the requirements...)

How do you know if it's a SLOW Code?
Mine code is P00AF, but no clue what it means.

·
163 Posts
How do you know if it's a SLOW Code?
Mine code is P00AF, but no clue what it means.
In my case, it was a failed turbo actuator. Dealer ordered the part and said it was safe to drive for a while. When the part came in they replaced it, and no faults since then.

·
20 Posts
Mine failed earlier this year, dealership replaced both turbos, only took 2 1/2 months. 1 turbo was on shelf 2nd one on national backorder. Hate the sequential turbo. So far no problems since.

·
12 Posts
My 2018 is displaying the P00AF faulty actuator code. The part is on national back order. After calling across the nation to several Nissan dealerships, I've discovered that there are 1200 actuators on back order. Over 700 of those are already claimed once they're shipped. I finally found one at a dealer in Florida (I'm in Louisiana). But it will still be several weeks before I receive the part. I have no choice but to keep driving my truck until the part comes in. The actuator randomly quits working. And when it does, you are stranded. There is no power to the engine. I'm just hoping and praying my turbo doesn't blow and destroy my engine. #theyblameCovid #theyblameBiden #Itendtoagree

·
228 Posts
My 2018 is displaying the P00AF faulty actuator code. The part is on national back order. After calling across the nation to several Nissan dealerships, I've discovered that there are 1200 actuators on back order. Over 700 of those are already claimed once they're shipped. I finally found one at a dealer in Florida (I'm in Louisiana). But it will still be several weeks before I receive the part. I have no choice but to keep driving my truck until the part comes in. The actuator randomly quits working. And when it does, you are stranded. There is no power to the engine. I'm just hoping and praying my turbo doesn't blow and destroy my engine. #theyblameCovid #theyblameBiden #Itendtoagree
Sorry off topic, but where you at in la? I’m in baton rouge

·
2 Posts
I called Z1 Off-Road last week on 12/9/21 and placed an order for the actuator. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow 12/16. Worth checking them out if you're still waiting.

·
2 Posts
Mine failed earlier this year, dealership replaced both turbos, only took 2 1/2 months. 1 turbo was on shelf 2nd one on national backorder. Hate the sequential turbo. So far no problems since.
I called Z1 Off-Road last week on 12/9/21 and placed an order for the actuator. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow 12/16. Worth checking them out if you're still waiting.

·
12 Posts
Had the actuator rebuilt. That was the easy part. The turbos failed. Haven’t been able to find them anywhere.”No ETA at and USA Nissan dealership.” So when Ford came out with 0% financing, I upgraded to an F-250 Powerstroke.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts