Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Titan XD Diesel 9/17 Has anyone had the hard shifts and loss of power problems? I took it in a few months back because I was pulling my boat and loss power completely and dropped to 30mph check engine came on and slightly regained power, enough to get it to the dealer code P226C so they replaced some turbo actuator or sensor I don't know. So while I had it there they replaced the platinum reserve emblem on the tailgate because it was falling off and titan boxes for the hinges breaking(rivets failing) and checked the audio amp because it overheats and cuts off. Well I picked it up two weeks later and it was shifting hard and really sounded like too much pressure building during shifts nasty shifting as well and killed on me at a red light. Ive noticed also I let off the pedal and press again it sounded like a bird chirping. I bring it back in (no codes) and tell them about the pressure building sound occasional on shifts and the bird chirping sound releasing and pressing the pedal also the hard shifting. Same day I get a call and as usual I get the routine "everything is operating as it was designed" or "Everthing is operating normal." I said come on guys y'all cannot tell me this is normal!!! So I left nonetheless pissed beyond measure! Later that day the truck downshifted really hard and made a funny sound and up comes the check engine light! But everything is normal right? Well i plugged my OBD2 reader and guess what? The same code that was fixed before P226C, Now they want to change the whole turbo! Can anyone shed some light who has had turbo replacements? Whats going on with these trucks? Should this engine have a better single turbo set up? Seems like a huge problem!

·
1,280 Posts
Sorta related, I have that ‘bird chirp’ that you mentioned. I have a pretty decent dealer here in NC, and he told me it’s the throttle valve (kinda like a throttle body, but not).

He said he wouldn’t mess with it unless it shows symptoms other than the noise. It kinda drives me nuts, but it hasn’t caused any problems. I’m at 28k, btw.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I get the same bird chirp noise on occasion, usually after letting off the throttle after building some PSI. As for the turbo, I really do not care for the design at all. While inventive, I think it is too much going on. They tried to make this turbo do everything well, so it ends up doing everything ok with a lot of parts that can fail (the turbo actuater or rotating valve is a perfect example). One of the things I want to explore is putting a 363 sxe turbo (or maybe a stock 6.7 turbo with the variable geometry if I could figure out the wiring). I know CFT has done the 366 (I think) 5-blade turbo with good results. While I like technology and innovation, sometimes you dont mess with something if it works. The 363 works and is proven in other diesel applications. Waiting for the money fairy to do a swap, so dont hold your breath, but someday...

·
14 Posts
I have a 2017 Titan XD Diesel 9/17 Has anyone had the hard shifts and loss of power problems? I took it in a few months back because I was pulling my boat and loss power completely and dropped to 30mph check engine came on and slightly regained power, enough to get it to the dealer code P226C so they replaced some turbo actuator or sensor I don't know. So while I had it there they replaced the platinum reserve emblem on the tailgate because it was falling off and titan boxes for the hinges breaking(rivets failing) and checked the audio amp because it overheats and cuts off. Well I picked it up two weeks later and it was shifting hard and really sounded like too much pressure building during shifts nasty shifting as well and killed on me at a red light. Ive noticed also I let off the pedal and press again it sounded like a bird chirping. I bring it back in (no codes) and tell them about the pressure building sound occasional on shifts and the bird chirping sound releasing and pressing the pedal also the hard shifting. Same day I get a call and as usual I get the routine "everything is operating as it was designed" or "Everthing is operating normal." I said come on guys y'all cannot tell me this is normal!!! So I left nonetheless pissed beyond measure! Later that day the truck downshifted really hard and made a funny sound and up comes the check engine light! But everything is normal right? Well i plugged my OBD2 reader and guess what? The same code that was fixed before P226C, Now they want to change the whole turbo! Can anyone shed some light who has had turbo replacements? Whats going on with these trucks? Should this engine have a better single turbo set up? Seems like a huge problem!
2016 PR 5.0 I had a turbo replacement. Less than 100 miles later got a Master Engine Reducing Power light. I was able to wobble into the dealer. Found out it was due to the coolant system not being properly Burped and computer sensed air in system. Another 100 miles or less later I was merging into traffic on highway stomped on accelerator and lost any and all acceleration (It was Labor Day temp high 90's.) I pulled over and looked under the truck. Fluid was pouring out so much it looked like Niagara Falls. I assumed transmission fluid. Traffic was heavy and wind from traffic kept me from smelling what was really going on. I shut down and called tow truck. Once we got the Titan on the trailer we could smell that it was diesel that had been pouring over the engine and transmission. Could have made a great story about how truck caught on fire.. Towed to dealer left it at the service garage door (Labor Day Closure.) The sales department was Open sales manager looked in system and saw that I had just picked up my truck two days prior and gave me a loaner. Could have been worse if it was an hour later in the day and sales had closed..
Found out it was a fuel injector return line connector that comes from the engine block had popped off. I wrote the National Highway Safety Board a complaint about the Nissan Fuel system and how close I was to a total disaster and Vehicle Fire which could have been deadly for myself and anyone else in the truck but have not received any reply..

·
Banned
136 Posts
I had the turbo go out at 11,000 miles. Spent 3 weeks at dealers.. after replacement I had a warning on highway that said engine going into reduced power (limp mode). That was due to the radiator not being Burped had a big airpocket in it.. (smart computer).. Week after that I was Merging onto highway and lost all acceleration.. engine never shut down.. I looked under the truck and there was Diesel Fuel flowing down like Niagara Falls.. it was 105 degrees outside.. I never got any warning indication on that leak even though that could have proved fatal to anyone in or near the truck.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I’m out of it now! Too many issues for me as of now. I’m hopeful they will one day have a solid Diesel engine for this truck! Cummins will not be even producing the isv5.0 anymore. I went get me a 19 ram 2500 Laramie with the 6.7. Yes there are things I miss about my XD, but I had enough it was my second titan XD diesel. I hope to remain here because I will eventually get another XD IF they have a solid solution on a solid Diesel engine! I was told by a reliable source someone is trying to do a I6 swap option for the XD like aftermarket!

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Well I’m out of it now! Too many issues for me as of now. I’m hopeful they will one day have a solid Diesel engine for this truck! Cummins will not be even producing the isv5.0 anymore. I went get me a 19 ram 2500 Laramie with the 6.7. Yes there are things I miss about my XD, but I had enough it was my second titan XD diesel. I hope to remain here because I will eventually get another XD IF they have a solid solution on a solid Diesel engine! I was told by a reliable source someone is trying to do a I6 swap option for the XD like aftermarket! View attachment 44149
Good luck with it, ths dodges fall apart around the engine. I know too many people with them and its issue after issue.

·
8 Posts
Four months ago my 2016 PR with 33,000 miles had a check engine light with a P226C code. The dealer first tried replacing the swing valve actuator (part # 11480-EZ40C), but the code returned a few days later. The truck was at the dealer for about 6 weeks waiting on a replacement (re-manufactured) turbo. The first one that came in was damaged and a second one had to be ordered. The truck seems to be running fine now with the new turbo but it's only been driven 1,300 miles since it was installed. I have noticed that my highway mileage has improved from around 16 mpg to 19+ mpg since the new turbo was installed.

·
2018 Midnight
13 Posts
I bought my Midnight 18, and it had that code. I have no warranty. Needed the actuator. Nobody on the east coast had the part in stock, it was backordered from Cummins (summer 2019). Nobody could even give me ETA. I did find one dealer who had it in stock out west, so I bought the part. Had to go to local dealer to calibrate it, a 5-minute task, but they charge 1 hour of labor, got to love them.

Waiting 6 weeks is unacceptable. In chastylr case, it does sound like turbo was the issue. In my case it was actuator. Truck had less than 4K miles then. I know someone with similar issue. Turbo was replaced under warranty. Year later same problem, turbo replaced again. Third time, and he got tired of this, took the turbo apart, cleaned it up well, put it back and no problems. The turbo gets dirty so the actuator cannot move its complete range because of the dirt and throws a code. Dealer is trained to replace parts. Quick and profitable business.

I suspect chastylr or anyone will have this issue at some point, it’s part of diesel life. It gets expensive and wait time for parts is just unacceptable. So learn to fix your own toys, save time and money.
Another notable item, when you see part number like 11480-EZ40C, this means revision C. Cummins updated it twice already, on a brand-new design. One dealer did confirm that they had some issues with this actuator, which makes sense. Replacing actuator is a cake. Replacing a turbo is much more involved on a V8.

Totally enjoying my truck since then!
Cheers

·
Banned
136 Posts
I bought my Midnight 18, and it had that code. I have no warranty. Needed the actuator. Nobody on the east coast had the part in stock, it was backordered from Cummins (summer 2019). Nobody could even give me ETA. I did find one dealer who had it in stock out west, so I bought the part. Had to go to local dealer to calibrate it, a 5-minute task, but they charge 1 hour of labor, got to love them.

Waiting 6 weeks is unacceptable. In chastylr case, it does sound like turbo was the issue. In my case it was actuator. Truck had less than 4K miles then. I know someone with similar issue. Turbo was replaced under warranty. Year later same problem, turbo replaced again. Third time, and he got tired of this, took the turbo apart, cleaned it up well, put it back and no problems. The turbo gets dirty so the actuator cannot move its complete range because of the dirt and throws a code. Dealer is trained to replace parts. Quick and profitable business.

I suspect chastylr or anyone will have this issue at some point, it’s part of diesel life. It gets expensive and wait time for parts is just unacceptable. So learn to fix your own toys, save time and money.
Another notable item, when you see part number like 11480-EZ40C, this means revision C. Cummins updated it twice already, on a brand-new design. One dealer did confirm that they had some issues with this actuator, which makes sense. Replacing actuator is a cake. Replacing a turbo is much more involved on a V8.

Totally enjoying my truck since then!
Cheers
Read somewhere there is a recall on the Turbo.. mine went out under Warranty and was replaced..

·
275 Posts
Lets add another to the list, mine seems to only malfunction when it is extremely hot outside, and after letting cool it will act normal again. Going to the dealer on Tuesday.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Mine never made to to 6000 miles.. When they replaced the turbo they left a fuel line loose. I was stuck on highway on a holiday weekend in 105 degree temps with fuel gushing off my engine. Following that the Exhaust Manifold cracked. And at 22,0000 miles my transmission is not trust worthy..

·
Banned
136 Posts
My SCR went out following the Turbo Failure, Turbo at 10K an EGR Coolant Failure at 15K and SCR at 23K. Anything downstream of the Turbo and the Exhaust Cooler is subject to contamination, and premature failure, same with any system anywhere. I was talking to a man that is an expert on the DPF and SCR as he owns several US companies that does the cleaning and sees what causes the premature failures. He told me that Mercedes has added to their procedures in the repair manuals to remove the DPF and SCR and either replace them or have them ultrasonically cleaned. Pretty much sounds like his companies survive on that procedure. And sounds like Mercedes take care of their customers and reputation.

·
1 Posts
Four months ago my 2016 PR with 33,000 miles had a check engine light with a P226C code. The dealer first tried replacing the swing valve actuator (part # 11480-EZ40C), but the code returned a few days later. The truck was at the dealer for about 6 weeks waiting on a replacement (re-manufactured) turbo. The first one that came in was damaged and a second one had to be ordered. The truck seems to be running fine now with the new turbo but it's only been driven 1,300 miles since it was installed. I have noticed that my highway mileage has improved from around 16 mpg to 19+ mpg since the new turbo was installed.
Is your truck still running strong after the turbo replacement????

·
35 Posts
I took my 2017 XD SL into the dealership yesterday for what I thought was a battery issue - slow start on these cold Ohio mornings - they are telling me the turbo actuator is the source of the code. After reading the posts - thinking I'm going to push them to evaluate the turbo itself. I have heard in the past that the actuator going bad is caused by a dirty turbo - replacing the actuator isn't a long term fix if thats the case. Hoping the tech at the dealership reads the same material I do.....

·
4 Posts
Sorta related, I have that ‘bird chirp’ that you mentioned. I have a pretty decent dealer here in NC, and he told me it’s the throttle valve (kinda like a throttle body, but not).

He said he wouldn’t mess with it unless it shows symptoms other than the noise. It kinda drives me nuts, but it hasn’t caused any problems. I’m at 28k, btw.
All turbo motors are equipped with a "wastegate" - a bypass valve that bleeds off built up air pressure that's no longer needed (usually when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal.) This can sound like a chirp or hiss and it can be a short hiss or chirp or a longer stutter that peters into silence. Listen to drag or tractor pull videos with diesel trucks and you'll hear the chirp/hiss/stutter as they lift off. A lot of production turbo vehicles have a silencer so you don't hear this or if you do it's muffled, so it could be the turbo muffler has slipped or come loose.

·
1,280 Posts
All turbo motors are equipped with a "wastegate" - a bypass valve that bleeds off built up air pressure that's no longer needed (usually when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal.) This can sound like a chirp or hiss and it can be a short hiss or chirp or a longer stutter that peters into silence. Listen to drag or tractor pull videos with diesel trucks and you'll hear the chirp/hiss/stutter as they lift off. A lot of production turbo vehicles have a silencer so you don't hear this or if you do it's muffled, so it could be the turbo muffler has slipped or come loose.
It’s not a wastegate- I’m aware what that sounds like. Especially since my truck builds 45 pounds of boost, no problem.

It’s the actuator valve. Without a doubt.

·
4 Posts
My bad, you're right. Just had mine diagnosed (P226 code) I need a new turbo actuator, too. Was told in the USA 1500 have been ordered, 418 on back order. Guess I'm last in line. Service mngr said OK to drive in this condition but "take it easy" whatever that means. I'm towing a 20' trailer (7000 max.) It came up from FL to NY ok, hope it makes it down as well (twice as hvy.)

·
62 Posts
I had the turbo go out at 11,000 miles. Spent 3 weeks at dealers.. after replacement I had a warning on highway that said engine going into reduced power (limp mode). That was due to the radiator not being Burped had a big airpocket in it.. (smart computer).. Week after that I was Merging onto highway and lost all acceleration.. engine never shut down.. I looked under the truck and there was Diesel Fuel flowing down like Niagara Falls.. it was 105 degrees outside.. I never got any warning indication on that leak even though that could have proved fatal to anyone in or near the truck.
I had an interesting surprise cruising down the hwy in my ford excursion. Noticed a diesel fuel smell in the cab.
did a quick turn off into a gas station (just in case). When i got out i noticed there was fuel all over the tent trailer.
looked under the truck and noticed fuel dripping underneath.
Popped the hood and there was fuel spraying all over everything from the filter housing.
shut the beast down and opened the fuel bowl and low and behold there was a kink in the rubber "O" ring.
I squeezed out the kink and put it back together and fortunately it held.
The girl at the station came out with cat litter to soak up al the diesel which was running down the lot.
It's a good thing diesel oil isn't quite as volitile as gasoline.
If it had lit up while on the highway we'd have looked like the ghost rider in camping mode.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts