Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this a few weeks ago, but gave it time before posting to ensure no problems came from it. All is well, so here I am.

I hate modern positive battery connectors so much, such as the ones that come on our trucks. It's hard to attach jumper cables, they don't have much contacting surface area with the terminals, the plastics get brittle over time, and they make it hard to connect slightly batteries. The lack of contacting surface area is probably the worst flaw of these cheap connectors. A tiny bit of corrosion is enough to cause problems. My connectors had a very small bit of corrosion, nothing unseen on cars that work fine.

I went to Tractor supply and got a couple 14-inch post terminal battery cables, some nuts, bolts and washers. To start off, I threw away the factory terminal connectors, crimped some eyelet connectors on the small wires, and used the purchased fastening hardware to attatch all this to the battery cable. I cleaned up the terminals with a wire brush, attached the new connectors, and covered all the exposed metals on this new system with dieletric grease. The passenger side had more positive wires than the driver side.

The engine seems to crank and start a tad faster and this ugly fix got rid of 4 U-codes (U1000, U1258, U12AA, and U1300). These trucks are very sensitive to battery health and connection quality. I still have a U1266 code that was around before all this, but I'm going to clean all the exterior connectors and fill them with dieletric grease soon. Maybe that'll fix it, since U-codes are often created by connection issues.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Hood Gas

2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
1,295 Posts
I actually really like Nissans battery terminals. The real issue with them is they respond very poorly to being over torqued. Lead terminals always look so beat up even when they're new. Put jumpers on them once or twice...

You gave me an idea for a product though. Pure copper terminals, drilled and tapped for a proper bus bar.

I sure miss having a shop. If I had a shop and a hoist, I'd pull my truck apart just so I could handle every part and fastener.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts