Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck rides great but can here feel some vibration. Took to dealer three times. Balanced all four wheels twice and did check the driveshaft. Alittle better but problem not cured. Any ideas?

·
701 Posts
did they balance the drive shaft or check it for balance on a driveshaft balance machine ?? xxx

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they did not. The vibration is not constant .its hard to explain. Like a high then low vibration like an out of round tire. The dealer swears the tires and rims are fine. It has the firestone destination hts on it which im not fond of. Anyway im at wits end and nissan doesnt seem to want to help?

·
701 Posts
i have seen this before ... the drive shaft is a likely candidate.. if you have a local drive shaft shop it might be worth some out of pocket money to eliminate the possible culprit.. i know of people who have had dealerships ignore the simple solution only to end up replacing it 6 months later..the other option is to have the dealer swap a drive shaft out of a similar vehicle.. good luck.... xxx

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well called a different dealership. Its where we purchased my wifes altima and they said they would take a look at the driveshaft.. Hope 4th times a charm. Getting frustrated at what appears to be inexperienced mechanics

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: just took my xd to the other dealership. The 1st thing they did was rebalance the tires again(third time). Didnt fix the problem.they've decided to replace the driveshaft. So itll be in soon. Hope that does the trick. Seems their unwilling to have the original checked. Will let everyone know what happens.

·
326 Posts
Update: just took my xd to the other dealership. The 1st thing they did was rebalance the tires again(third time). Didnt fix the problem.they've decided to replace the driveshaft. So itll be in soon. Hope that does the trick. Seems their unwilling to have the original checked. Will let everyone know what happens.

Nissan doesn’t pay them to ship out a driveshaft to rebalance. They make money by replacing the part, a part that is free to them.

·
20 Posts
I'm having the same issue with harmonic vibration 45mph and up. Second xd diesel I've owned, 1st was 2wd SL crew cab and now I have 4wd s regular cab. Crew cab wasn't as bad. I'm thinking it might be driveline angle causing it. Curious to see if replacing your driveshaft helps.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Driveshaft replaced today.NO IMPROVEMENT. So they have a call in to nissan tech support to try to figure out whats wrong. Gave me a nissan juke to drive and kept my truck��. After my fifth trip i'm getting alittle aggravated. Will update later

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Same boat folks.

Seems to be most pronounced around 65mph and higher...worst around 75ish. Had the carrier bearing spacer on mine installed, It did help the shudder accelerating from a stop pulling a trailer which I expected since it corrected the driveline angle, but the vibration it still there when approaching those speeds down the hwy. I don't know if it's a harmonic in the chassis or what. It's not the tires or rims because I swapped all four wheels to 20in from my buddies platinum reserve to rule out tire wear, a thrown wheel weight, or bad rims. Kinda stumped at this point. I don't think it's a driveshaft either because it doesn't change frequency with speed and it doesn't sound like it's at a high enough frequency for a shaft speed of 2500rpm at 65mph. Nor do I think it's powertrain related because I've selected different gears and rpm ranges with no change. Leads me to believe it's a frame or body harmonic...but I have no way of isolating it, seems to have gotten worse since owning the truck. Not concerned it's going to fall apart, but annoying, although I've driven other vehicles that have similar characteristics mainly due to limited stress analysis and testing (military), this is unusual for a truck with a much larger base. Figured an engineer should have caught this. Then again, just because you have a fancy title, doesn't mean your necessarily good at judging certain handling, NVH, or performance characteristics...otherwise we wouldn't have had some of the issues we have had with this platform. Granted they are trying to correct it, but work still needs to be done.

·
53 Posts
I have the same issue. I took it in and they compared it to another on the lot. They said it did the same. So they chalked it up to a characteristic of the truck. I am not buying it. I noticed it happens at a certain rpm range. I have it between 65mph - 80mph. It seems the rpm's are at a sweet spot for the harmonic issue there. I have heard it from time to time at lower speeds. but the gears put the engine at that rpm range. Strange. I often wondered if different engine mounts might break up the harmonics on it.

·
214 Posts
I ended up selling my megacab because of a vibration that could not be fixed. After months of tires, differentials, and all kinds of things, I found the solution. I bought the titan.

·
128 Posts
I have this same issue. 16XD Platinum Reserve. Between 65-80mph. Almost like a slowly pulsating drone or like a very weak road rumble strip that comes and goes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts