Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got my 2017 xd diesel back today. Three days at the dealership. Lots of testing with no results. Vibration actually seems worse after the driveshaft replacement. Taking it back when nissans engineer shows up in two weeks. Seems everyone has the same problem. Hope they figure it out soon.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My 2017 SV

Still have the vibration issue. Drove a new 2017 sv xd today. Guess what it has vibration too! So its got to be a nissan engineering issue? Guess ill see what nissan says when they drive it next week.

·
291 Posts
Good luck. Been dealing with a constant issue since new (tranmission shift issues). Two different dealers, over 20+ visits and no one can explain or fix the issue. If you havent already, file a complaint with Nissan Canada/US and have the issue escalated. May not help, but it creates a larger paper trail.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Just a quick update,

Moving the truck into neutral (carefully) at about 68mph on a clear road (don't do this in traffic or with passengers) I found that the vibration/rumble is independent of the engine rpm and gear selection as the vibration/rumble is consistently at certain speeds whether warm or cold outside....only leaves.....driveshaft, universals, carrier bearing, wheel bearings as far as rotating things, so no closer to a smoking gun on my truck. It is definitely more pronounced at around 55-58, 62-65, and 72-75mph...but noticeable throughout the speedometer. It's a low frequency rumble and you can feel it everywhere especially the floors. Almost like a bass note. Once again I ruled out rims/tires as I have a new set of 20in rims and tires set aside for my truck to replace the 18's to play with.

·
345 Posts
This sounds like the issue I had with my 16 Silverado. They never could fix it, but it was a known issue with the GM platform. (Chevy Shake) ended up being bought back. My Titan has a vibration bit I thought it was just the diesel motor roaring along. The vibration is a lot less than on my Chevy so I can deal with it. In the Silverado you couldn't have a cup of coffee without a lid in the center console cup holder, it would slosh it all out it shook so bad. The belief in the GM world is it was the body mounts, but I don't think it ever was resolved. Might be a place to look on the Titan, just a thought.

·
213 Posts
Just a quick update,

Moving the truck into neutral (carefully) at about 68mph on a clear road (don't do this in traffic or with passengers) I found that the vibration/rumble is independent of the engine rpm and gear selection as the vibration/rumble is consistently at certain speeds whether warm or cold outside....only leaves.....driveshaft, universals, carrier bearing, wheel bearings as far as rotating things, so no closer to a smoking gun on my truck. It is definitely more pronounced at around 55-58, 62-65, and 72-75mph...but noticeable throughout the speedometer. It's a low frequency rumble and you can feel it everywhere especially the floors. Almost like a bass note. Once again I ruled out rims/tires as I have a new set of 20in rims and tires set aside for my truck to replace the 18's to play with.
Wow - Great testing!!!

Surely this should provide Nissan the "smoking gun"?

I had the same issue on my 1st Gen Titan, after 7k worth of new parts they ended up "Clocking" the rear Drive shaft & that fixed the issue.
Forgive the ignorance - what is "clocking" of a drive shaft?

Great thread - wonder is anyone at Nissan checks in evry now & then.. "Hoy, Nissan - READ THIS THREAD!!!"

russ

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nissan engineer checked out truck today. They've decided to replace the other driveshaft. So here we go again.will give an update.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Front driveshaft replaced today. Did NOT fix my vibration issue! They have a call in to nissan tech. Im sooo aggravated.

·
895 Posts
Front driveshaft replaced today. Did NOT fix my vibration issue! They have a call in to nissan tech. Im sooo aggravated.
The XD's are obviously unrefined trucks, but not bad enough to stop production like Rams option for ecodiesel in the trks. Ram trks state option for it in 2017 yet cannot be ordered while 2018 and 2019 models do not offer it at all on their web site. Didn't take Ram long to stop production of the ecodiesel trks, and when Nissan stops supporting owners with the XD's warranty like Chevy and Ford then this trk is more so dead in the water.

·
212 Posts
I drove a ram that spent 4 months overall in the shop over the course of a year that could not be fixed for a wicked vibration. Finally sold it because of it.

·
42 Posts
The XD's are obviously unrefined trucks, and need a lot of fixing.
I have been following this thread somewhat closely but do not have this issue. Sorry, I can only offer moral support. I would suggest creating a fault tree to whittle down the testing results. Likely the Nissan techs are jumping around in their vibration analysis as well, which is why things like the drive shaft gets replaced so quickly (this is supposition on my part and not having this issue). For the record I am a +25yr field engineer working with some old finicky gas turbines-nat.gas compressors and end up troubleshooting things like vibration problems every other day somewhere down the line it seems. Problems such as a strange vibration can be very frustrating to root-cause BUT they can be resolved when examined in a methodical, reduction manner (ie., BigRedCustoms). It may turn out that there is a design flaw found or a simple fix elsewhere, but no one knows what yet. Having had many other trucks (company and personal in both diesel and gas), to say that this truck is unrefined and in need of a lot of fixing is a statement based on this frustration. Keep up with the diagnostics. I would like to opine that the truck is actually reasonably well thought out and constructed and regardless there will be some problems that occur and some things that Nissan does intentionally that make me scratch my head. But find me a truck that is not like this...and I will ride a unicorn out under the rainbow to a pot-o-gold to buy it.

Keep the faith and good luck in finding the issue.

·
895 Posts
I have been following this thread somewhat closely but do not have this issue. Sorry, I can only offer moral support. I would suggest creating a fault tree to whittle down the testing results. Likely the Nissan techs are jumping around in their vibration analysis as well, which is why things like the drive shaft gets replaced so quickly (this is supposition on my part and not having this issue). For the record I am a +25yr field engineer working with some old finicky gas turbines-nat.gas compressors and end up troubleshooting things like vibration problems every other day somewhere down the line it seems. Problems such as a strange vibration can be very frustrating to root-cause BUT they can be resolved when examined in a methodical, reduction manner (ie., BigRedCustoms). It may turn out that there is a design flaw found or a simple fix elsewhere, but no one knows what yet. Having had many other trucks (company and personal in both diesel and gas), to say that this truck is unrefined and in need of a lot of fixing is a statement based on this frustration. Keep up with the diagnostics. I would like to opine that the truck is actually reasonably well thought out and constructed and regardless there will be some problems that occur and some things that Nissan does intentionally that make me scratch my head. But find me a truck that is not like this...and I will ride a unicorn out under the rainbow to a pot-o-gold to buy it.

Keep the faith and good luck in finding the issue.
Had Ford F-150, Silverado and Toyota trk before the Tacoma's came about. Not lying about being w/o vibration or other issues that XD owners bring to light in this forum, it is what it is. I'm w/o any frustration to date with the flaws I experience with the XD I have, but if that time comes I'll dump this vehicle w/o missing a beat and go get a used trk with good reputation, rebuild the motor and put in a rebuilt trans if necessary and drive it till the wheels fall off...And that will be after my lifetime. The past trks I had are a kick in the rear that anyone of them were let go as the later models that come out each year continue to decline in quality and reliability.

·
19 Posts
The day I picked up my gasser XD after trading in the diesel XD I had noticed the vibration from the driveshaft . I returned it the next day to my mechanic at Reed Nissan ( who I became very familiar with during my diesel debacle) and he knew what it was immediately. Apparently Nissans factory put the wrong tranny mounts on some XD’s from the factory . They used non XD mounts on an XD which threw off the balance and angle of the driveshaft. This resulted in a harsh vibration. They replaced the mounts and the issue was resolved!!! No problems since. I believe there is a TSB for this as well. Ill check my paperwork and post it if its on the paper!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 63 Posts