Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done much heavy trailer towing and not familiar with weight distributing hitches. I actually have a Class A CDL so I have no problem driving with a trailer, but just not familiar with setups on personal vehicles. I've been towing a 2300lbs popup camper and most likely will be getting a 32ft travel trailer in the next week. I'm buying it off my friend and will be staying in the same park as him, so he can park it for me there, giving me plenty of time to get my set up ready before I'll have to tow it (looking at possible 2+ months there for work)

I have a dealer installed 2" calmini front spacer kit, so my truck already has a little squat in the rear, and I'm most likely going to get the Air Lifter 5000 rear kit. But I have been contemplating just getting the 2" rear spacer blocks from calmini to level it out. I don't plan on doing too much towing in the future. Probably just one cross country with the 32' travel trailer and then I'm giving it to my dad. So I'm wondering if I would really need the airbags. I'm going to be running a mobile detailing business in a few months and probably only have about 300lbs worth of equipment and gear spread out in the bed.

As far as the weight distribution hitch, there's a lot of different designs and I have no idea what to start looking at. I think I remember seeing something about sway control as a part of the truck features, so not sure if I need an added sway control setup. My dad has a 2016 F250 Superduty so I'm hoping I can get something that would work fine for his truck too.

·
927 Posts
Anything over 5000lbs and Nissan recommends a weight distributing hitch. Some have built in sway control, others do not. I use a basic Reese model with round bars, without any additional sway control and it tows fine. The hitch itself helps cut down on the trailer swaying.

·
103 Posts
From someone who has worked in the RV industry in the past and owned a few, I think the 4 point equalizer is one of the best weight distributing hitches for the money, the sway control is part of the hitch so you don't have to remove when backing up like a lot of the others. There are some more expensive hitches that also are very good, but for the money that would be my choice. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I got to thinking that my buddy might actually have one to give with the trailer since he bought a fifth wheel and obviously doesn't need one for that. So I asked him and he has one for me. Saves me some trouble and extra spending.

I'm still wondering about the Air bags though. I hear stuff about the ride quality being affected when unloaded. I was looking at the Air Lifter 5000 ultimate which can be run with no pressure, but that wouldn't solve my leveling issue, so I'd want to keep it pressured up to 2" higher on a regular basis.

·
430 Posts
Thanks for the info. I got to thinking that my buddy might actually have one to give with the trailer since he bought a fifth wheel and obviously doesn't need one for that. So I asked him and he has one for me. Saves me some trouble and extra spending.

I'm still wondering about the Air bags though. I hear stuff about the ride quality being affected when unloaded. I was looking at the Air Lifter 5000 ultimate which can be run with no pressure, but that wouldn't solve my leveling issue, so I'd want to keep it pressured up to 2" higher on a regular basis.
Unless you plan on hauling heavy objects, with the trailer on, I wouldn't worry about bags. The 2" blocks will be just fine, right on up to the payload max.

·
58 Posts
The basic purpose of a WD hitch is to lever some of the tongue weight (10% - 15% of the gross weight of the trailer) forward on your tow vehicle to the steering axle and aft to the trailer axles. This keeps the front wheels from getting light, effecting steering and keeps you from overloading the rear axle.

whatever your friend sells you will probably work fine.

Anti-sway is a whole other subject. A 32' trailer is subject to sway from passing semi's, wind, grooved or damaged road surface...

The simplest form of sway control is friction based and dampens sway by absorbing the energy of the oscillations. The complex sway control (costing thousands) uses patented technology the pretty much eliminates sway.

The XD is a big, heavy tow vehicle so I suspect the simple approach would work fine.

Whatever you use, make sure the trailer is level.

Mike

·
2 Posts
Eaz-Lift 48058 is the best

Eaz-Lift 48058 is the best. You can easily release the sway controls when you do not need to use them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts