Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something strange yesterday on my way home from work.... My mpg was over 2 mpg better than normal. From the day I got my truck, I have always reset my mpg computer when I got up on the highway and hit cruising speed. I never fail to do this. No matter what you think about the automated mpg figures, they were consistent, every day over my nearly 50 mile one way commute. Then, when I became non-EPA compliant in early December, I noticed a strong 2 mpg drop in fuel mileage and I have stated that in several posts on this board. Some have attributed that to winter diesel, but from all my research, I find that possibility to be very slim... more likely mostly related to the truck now running richer.
Anyway, on the way home yesterday over the same route, at the same speed, same air pressure in the tires etc, etc....I picked up 2 mpg. The only change I made was this: In the bed of my truck, I had an aluminum extension ladder, that was down at the base of the bed near the cab and up over the tailgate. It was a total length of about 12 feet. On that ladder was a sheet metal ridge vent 12 feet long that I was bringing home.
Is it possible that the ridge vent was acting like some kind of spoiler and it changed the aerodynamics of the truck enough to pick up 2 mpg????? I believe it's the only logical explanation, but too weird to be true. So, here I am asking.... What do you think?

Reactions: Missouri Tiger

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I noticed something strange yesterday on my way home from work.... My mpg was over 2 mpg better than normal. From the day I got my truck, I have always reset my mpg computer when I got up on the highway and hit cruising speed. I never fail to do this. No matter what you think about the automated mpg figures, they were consistent, every day over my nearly 50 mile one way commute. Then, when I became non-EPA compliant in early December, I noticed a strong 2 mpg drop in fuel mileage and I have stated that in several posts on this board. Some have attributed that to winter diesel, but from all my research, I find that possibility to be very slim... more likely mostly related to the truck now running richer.
Anyway, on the way home yesterday over the same route, at the same speed, same air pressure in the tires etc, etc....I picked up 2 mpg. The only change I made was this: In the bed of my truck, I had an aluminum extension ladder, that was down at the base of the bed near the cab and up over the tailgate. It was a total length of about 12 feet. On that ladder was a sheet metal ridge vent 12 feet long that I was bringing home.
Is it possible that the ridge vent was acting like some kind of spoiler and it changed the aerodynamics of the truck enough to pick up 2 mpg????? I believe it's the only logical explanation, but too weird to be true. So, here I am asking.... What do you think?
Is the engine broken in now? lol

Seriously though, how many miles do you have on it now?

·
142 Posts
Back to the winter vs summer diesel..A lot of places are back to summer diesel...so that would explain it.

Some stuff to help MPG..
- Add a bed cover if you can (I know some people can't because of how they use the truck)
- Switch to a higher quality oil ( I'm personally using Amsoil signature but will switch to an oil amsoil has for non
emissions trucks when my egr comes off that is even better than signature)
- I'm also running the bypass oil filter which keeps the oil in good condition longer and keeps it cleaner.
- Swapping out your tranny oil, torque converter oil, and diff oils with a higher quality oil has helped a lot for the
people who have done it.
- Fuel additives of high quality help too. Again, personally I use amsoil and like it. Don Smith uses Optilube XPD and
has done a lot of testing and research and likes it.

Hope any of this help!!

·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the engine broken in now? lol

Seriously though, how many miles do you have on it now?
Over 60K..... Using same oil and from what the petroleum industry states, winter vs summer fuel for mpg is a marginal difference at best. Just repeating what I read....

·
142 Posts
Over 60K..... Using same oil and from what the petroleum industry states, winter vs summer fuel for mpg is a marginal difference at best. Just repeating what I read....
That's what they would like to believe. I have always heard winter diesel vs summer diesel creates a difference in mgp. In my cousins ford its almost 3 mpg. In buddies ram its about the same like 2.5. In my bosses GMC 3500 denali it has about the same effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts