Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They introduce themselves with one post wanting feedback. Nothing ever since?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it was ever meant for those numbers stock wise. I know commercial it's 560 ft lbs torque but lot less hp. I wouldn't complain if it had a few more hp's and a little less turbo leg. As I have stated before once you get use to driving it's got alot of once your moving pull. But off the line it's a dog no matter how you look at it lol.

·
363 Posts
It would be interesting to line up an XD (310hp, 555ftlb) with a stock 2001 Duramax Allison 3.73 (300hp, 520ftlb). No doubt the 6.6 has displacement advantage but how far off is Cummins 5L XD from the 15 year old V8 diesel design?

I won't say Hans and Franz-like but the XD's HP and Torque seem puffy.

·
570 Posts
It would be interesting to line up an XD (310hp, 555ftlb) with a stock 2001 Duramax Allison 3.73 (300hp, 520ftlb). No doubt the 6.6 has displacement advantage but how far off is Cummins 5L XD from the 15 year old V8 diesel design?

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/03/old-vs-new-diesels-2016-gmc-sierra-hd-vs-2002-chevy-silverado-hd-video/

Here is a recent test from TFL. The old dog did very well against the new HD in acceleration and MPG due in part that it was much lighter (even lighter than the XD) and less emissions crap to hurt MPG. You can come up with your own conclusions about how it would do against the XD.

·
14 Posts
Problem with the Emission standard and the design to keep them clean. you get the turbo lag. older systems add fuel and it pulls more air. New system open throttle let existing turbo draw in air, when sensor detects increase in air they add fuel. The least amount of fuel they can add the cleaner it is. Adding air before fuel limits soot. Tunes will do wonders when they adjust that.

·
1,300 Posts
Main reason this truck is a puffer off the line is the torque management that is set in the computers...13+ Rams are just as bad if not worse IMO.

·
167 Posts
I think the expectation for power vs displacement is getting out of hand. Anyone who says this truck doesn't have enough balls has not driven it enough. It's not a screamer but acceleration from 15 to 60 mph is no problem for on ramps. I pull into highway traffic every day from a let in lane and I start at 20 kph coming around the corner and it feels like I won't get up to speed to slot in until I realize I'm overshooting the slot because I'm going to fast. It doesn't feel like it's moving in a hurry because it is big and heavy but it does. Starting from 0 is a little slow to get through the first gear changes. But who buys a deisel to drag race? I like the fact that it just chugs up and down hills on the highway without changing rpm or gears. Does anyone else believe that engine durability is directly related to horsepower per liter? From my experience it still holds true. Gives the same feel for power as the old 5.9 Cummins which everyone was happy with until the hp and torque races took over. Just my 2 cents. Maybe I feel this way cause I'm just getting older and don't need to leave my tires stuck to the road.

·
207 Posts
I think the expectation for power vs displacement is getting out of hand. Anyone who says this truck doesn't have enough balls has not driven it enough. It's not a screamer but acceleration from 15 to 60 mph is no problem for on ramps. I pull into highway traffic every day from a let in lane and I start at 20 kph coming around the corner and it feels like I won't get up to speed to slot in until I realize I'm overshooting the slot because I'm going to fast. It doesn't feel like it's moving in a hurry because it is big and heavy but it does. Starting from 0 is a little slow to get through the first gear changes. But who buys a deisel to drag race? I like the fact that it just chugs up and down hills on the highway without changing rpm or gears. Does anyone else believe that engine durability is directly related to horsepower per liter? From my experience it still holds true. Gives the same feel for power as the old 5.9 Cummins which everyone was happy with until the hp and torque races took over. Just my 2 cents. Maybe I feel this way cause I'm just getting older and don't need to leave my tires stuck to the road.

I totally agree! If you get on it in 3rd gear it will pull hard to 80 mph Real Fast!! And not really on it that much at all.

Reactions: Bikerndiver

·
169 Posts
I'll have to look to see what this Cummins post apparently was, missed it.

Stock '03 Cummins HO is 305/555. I've driven mine since it was brand new and with ~420 miles on it (it was driven around and shown at rodeos and such, being the then-new body style).

I guarantee it would kill the XD.

Problem with the Emission standard and the design to keep them clean. you get the turbo lag. older systems add fuel and it pulls more air. New system open throttle let existing turbo draw in air, when sensor detects increase in air they add fuel. The least amount of fuel they can add the cleaner it is. Adding air before fuel limits soot. Tunes will do wonders when they adjust that.
Emissions plays no part in how much turbo lag there is.

If anything, they've gotten better. Notice that with the increase in emissions, the OE's went from fixed-vane turbos to variable vane/collar turbos. Variable allows fine tuning the turbo for spool, as you can clamp it down and the turbo "acts" smaller and spools, and then open 'er up on the topend to "act" bigger.

The issue with the XD is a massive amount of torque management, not turbo lag.

Main reason this truck is a puffer off the line is the torque management that is set in the computers...13+ Rams are just as bad if not worse IMO.
Bingo. Torque management is the killer.

I think the expectation for power vs displacement is getting out of hand. Anyone who says this truck doesn't have enough balls has not driven it enough. It's not a screamer but acceleration from 15 to 60 mph is no problem for on ramps.
I HIGHLY disagree. On ramp is where it showed its ugly low-power face. Embarrassingly slow and low power. Once it kicked down two gears it was "ok" but far from impressive.

Reactions: Frost

·
363 Posts
I agree, it hasn't gotten out of hand rather it was normal discussion among the journalists. No doubt one can become desensitize by driving the XD over a period of time but that won't change reality.

·
167 Posts
Many of the journalists commented on the power and acceleration being in the sweet spot when doing the 20 to 60 run. And almost all stated how slow it was off the line. I've watched all the reviews and I've been driving this truck for a month now. Maybe they are not all the same between diff trims or trucks for whatever reason. but I've got no problem with the acceleration and I've driven the 6.7 and 5.9 Cummins as both as work trucks and neither will give you the feeling of the acceleration from a gas screamer. But they all move the truck among smartley. I agree there could be some turbo lag torque management programming but once you learn to drive it and get the boost to 30psi. It moves. Spend a week in one and you'll see. I am only telling my experience just as your commenting on yours mopar. Not trying to fluff it up because I really don't care about opinions only my driving experience.

·
169 Posts
Oh no worries at all cmac. That's what we're all here to do, share experiences. I'm not in the position to have one long term (i.e. own...and even then it'd currently be a tough sell comparing to a new Ram) so my ~10-15 minutes behind the wheel is all I can comment on.

I try hard not to harp on it too much. Although it's been years and years since I spent significant time behind the wheel of a stock truck, and you can see my daily driver in my sig. I had zero complaints about around-town, in fact it felt great. Sat up high, nice firmish ride that wasn't harsh, almost felt like driving my lifted Dodge (3" front, 1" rear). I like sitting up high. Around-town was great, it was just that one stabbing of the pedal that left some to be desired.

I do want to drive another, atc on here as commented a number of times about altering driving style and I'd like to do that and see if I can modulate the TM a bit and really see how she pulls.

·
120 Posts
If you drive a gasser ie an eco $#!t, tundra, 6.2 gm. Then drive a diesel you realize they are not as quick. Yeah they get there pretty quick but not the same. Now if you drive a tuned diesel things change dramatically! I got to ride in DB POWERS 6.0 years back totally a diffrence animal.

I live in a emissions free area and there are so many trucks around here that are tuned. At our shop we have a 6.0L ferd with 500+hp and 900tq. It's fun to drive but the trans needs some real work. Yeah its faster then the gassers yet in tow mode gets way better economy. I loved driving an lly Duramax with a decent tune and exhaust.

The XD is under stated from the start. Dyno should be like 250ish not 285hp. The regular titans also were underrated at factory. But we live in a time where hp rules. Hp will get u up the hill faster yet tq gets you mpg. The yin and yang has been set by the big 3. Old tucks will get way better mpg without emissions on them and they will have a smaller imprint on co2 emissions than new trucks.

I really hope the XD has a serious power increase in the near future. Or I will get a regular Titan because it's simple or a newer duramax and build from that. Yes the 2017 duramax should have 500hp and close to 1000tq stock. It would really be hard to but an xd knowing a truck that has similar specs yet has 190hp and 450tq.

·
99 Posts
Anyone else notice an unusual amount of transmission braking with this setup? Seems like with all the weight the trans never lets the truck coast.

·
122 Posts
I have noticed it. My truck shifting has been getting a little smoother with the more I drive. Apparently there is a software upgrade at the dealer that might adjust shifting points.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted in the flash update thread. Mine got reflashed Thursday and it definitely seems to shifting smoother. But call me weird I almost prefer the harshness before lol.

·
99 Posts
I posted in the flash update thread. Mine got reflashed Thursday and it definitely seems to shifting smoother. But call me weird I almost prefer the harshness before lol.
With the new flash, does the truck actually coast now? I can't seem to get the truck to coast without downshifting. For instance, coming up to my driveway from up the street, I get like 2 downshifts to the point where I have to hit the accelerator again lol. I guess it's heavier than a Frontier.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts