Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
313 Posts
Bigger diesels in N.A. just started using this stuff in the last few years to reduce NOx according to EPA regs.

More part of the exhaust emissions control system than the diesel engine itself.

But those that use it, all use the same stuff, and it's readily available at any truck stop, Walmarts and so on.

Reactions: TurboDiesel

·
857 Posts
Bigger diesels in N.A. just started using this stuff in the last few years to reduce NOx according to EPA regs.

More part of the exhaust emissions control system than the diesel engine itself.

But those that use it, all use the same stuff, and it's readily available at any truck stop, Walmarts and so on.
that's what i have noticed as well, that stuff is just about everywhere you go, way too easy to get a bottle where ever it is that you go.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
The major advantage to DEF is the engine is allowed to run more like it's supposed to and makes a marked reduction in fuel consumption.

·
313 Posts
The major advantage to DEF is the engine is allowed to run more like it's supposed to and makes a marked reduction in fuel consumption.
Yes. Before that they did more Exhaust Gas Recycling (EGR), like on my old 2005 Passat TDI. But it didn't clean out as much NOx, could clog, and probably was only really effective on smaller engines. Passats now use DEF too.

But the new DEF systems definitely add more complexity. The DEF fluid has to be heated in the winter or it will freeze, And I believe the exhaust gases are monitored before and and after the process. Lot's of sensors and valves and things that can go wrong.

And occasionally someone pours DEF into the fuel tank ...

·
665 Posts
But the new DEF systems definitely add more complexity. The DEF fluid has to be heated in the winter or it will freeze, And I believe the exhaust gases are monitored before and and after the process. Lot's of sensors and valves and things that can go wrong.
Shuttle valves are a mature technology. Electric heating is a mature technology, water pumps and nozzles are also mature technologies. Electronic diesel fuel injectors are a mature technology.

Twenty years ago, added complexity was a reasonable argument. Today it is not. Cummins is providing the complete package of engine and after treatment and Cummins has just a little bit of experience with after treatment. It's win win for Nissan, they get the Cummins branding and they don't have to worry about meeting emissions because Cummins already has the engine certified.

There is always a risk of requiring warranty for one of the thousands of parts and fasteners that make up an automobile. The automobile is a complex machine and only continues to get more complicated. So if complication is your concern, why would you consider a new vehicle in the first place?

And occasionally someone pours DEF into the fuel tank ...
If someone is stupid enough to poor enough DEF into their tank to cause damage to the engine, they deserve it. Both fill ports are different sizes and clearly marked.

·
313 Posts
Shuttle valves are a mature technology. Electric heating is a mature technology, water pumps and nozzles are also mature technologies. Electronic diesel fuel injectors are a mature technology.

Twenty years ago, added complexity was a reasonable argument. Today it is not. Cummins is providing the complete package of engine and after treatment and Cummins has just a little bit of experience with after treatment. It's win win for Nissan, they get the Cummins branding and they don't have to worry about meeting emissions because Cummins already has the engine certified.

There is always a risk of requiring warranty for one of the thousands of parts and fasteners that make up an automobile. The automobile is a complex machine and only continues to get more complicated. So if complication is your concern, why would you consider a new vehicle in the first place?
Odd then that all I hear on the diesel forums are complaints about emissions sensors going bad. It's not just the DEF system but also the DPF, excessive regens and so on. Some manufacturers have different problems than others but they are real enough. And some people delete the whole emissions system (even though that's illegal) because of these potential problems.

This technology is new. The 6.7L Cummins in the RAM just started using DEF one or two years ago.

Are the problems being fixed? I believe so. Each generation seems more reliable than the last.

Will the 5L Cummins have issues? I have no idea. But Cummins has had several years working with these systems by now, so I assume the bugs have been worked out.

·
665 Posts
Come on, use some logic. Most people come to the internet to complain. So if that's your model, no wonder your interpretation is so far out of wack.

Cummins may have kept DEF out of the Dodge as long as possible but they still have experience from their other engines that did start using DEF sooner.

Excessive regens are frequently the result of the wrong powertrain selection for the application.

·
313 Posts
Come on, use some logic. Most people come to the internet to complain. So if that's your model, no wonder your interpretation is so far out of wack.
Never mind.
I'm done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts