Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Titan XD for nearly a year now. On a number of other forums (boating, shooting, etc) I keep reading how we'll never get 300k miles out of these trucks due to DPF, etc. "Just a bad decision to buy this truck".

I went and did as much reading as I could to educate myself as to WHY it is that people say this, and I'm not coming up with an answer. I certainly don't consider myself a gearhead, but I am an engineer by trade, so I can logically assess a situation and come up with an answer if I do my research.

So let's begin.

My history with Nissan goes back five vehicles: two Altima, an Armada, a Maxima, and now my Titan. In none of these vehicles did I experience any major problems that weren't self-inflicted (wife drove over a curb in her '98 Maxima in 2010 and did some underside damage. We just traded it in on a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland). The Armada performed magnificently everywhere except at the pump. The Altimas were flawless. So Nissan - the platform - was without problems.

Cummins is considered by many to be the Gold Standard of diesel engines. They've been around for nearly one hundred years. With the exception of two 5.9L engines (the "53 Block" and the "Killer Dowel Pin" that occurred between 1988-2002) their engines have been bulletproof (or so I've read). So I believe it's fair to say that they have a history of making reliable Diesel engines. The 5.0L engine was supposedly nine years in the making, and is a completely revolutionary design, making more use of a CGI block, newly designed turbocharger that is more fuel efficient, and better emissions control - which I understand is a bone of contention with many - but the government mandated it so we're stuck.

The last major component is the transmission. For that they used the Aisen A466ND - which is basically the same transmission that the Ram 3500 uses. Supposedly it's overspec'ed for the Titan/Cummins pairing.

So now, with all of that, where are the potential flaws in the design of this truck that would prevent it from reaching 20 years or 300,000 miles?

I'm not interested in comparisons of this to other brand trucks; I bought this truck and it's the only one I want to discuss. Please make compelling cases as the design flaws that will prevent me from getting 20 years/300,000 miles out of this. I should add that I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, and the vehicle will follow factory maintenance schedule completely.

Please help me understand why this won't make it. Thanks.

·
32 Posts
I have about 25K on mine and it has not been to the dealer yet. It has so far been to Alaska for a shake down cruise 6K miles. No problems other than the tail gate latching system fell apart; repaired in a campground with what I could find and what I had with me. It also did the Dalton highway all the way to Deadhorse. I also camped about 150 miles from the nearest town for 3 days; started right up. It also went to Texas for Christmas 5200 miles trip. It took everything in stride, zero temps, snow 4 inches on road, rain, 75 degree heat in Texas, lead footed wife, 90+mph on a freeway a few times, ice on freeway, 3 days with no shut down, and a 4 hour nap in zero degree weather with the engine running. I have changed the oil and fuel filters at the stated mileage maintenance. I still have to do a transmission filter and oil change still waiting on some dry weather to do it ( it is rainy Seattle).
The tranny is well matched for the engine and is most likely close to medium duty as you can it. The rear diff and rear suspension is definite 3/4 ton with no problems. The front is like a 3/4 ton and they used 5/8 ton springs. The drive-lines are Spicer top shelf there too. Brakes are over sized so that is a plus. The 4x4 system is great works like it should.
The engine I think with proper care and OEM replacement parts it should last 300K. I use a rotella 5-40 T6 oil and amsoil for the rest of the vehicle. The fuel system concerns me a little bit because of the hi-pressure pump for common rail system and fuel pump that is inside the primary filter housing. The high pressure one I do not know how reliable they are; I know that it is Bosch. As long you do not run it out of fuel it should last. Emissions; I think there are some problems going to be there and Egr system will need a clean out once in while; that might be expensive. Really too early to tell if there are head gasket problems and hopefully Cummins did their homework. I am a firm believer about oil analysis that will give some heads up before impeding doom it has helped me in the past. Drive lines need grease zerks and the front suspension also.
The other concern is all of the computers are in truck all talking to each other on CAN-BUS. Hopefully the wire bundles are well tied down and connections are good.
Overall I am impressed with the truck; fit and finish of the interior are like a new Boeing airplane.

·
1,253 Posts
Im sure it would go 300k but like all modern diesels it will not do it without a few major expenses along the way, unless you delete all the emissions stuff that wasent on the 5.9 and do proper maintenance
Yes, delete, delete and delete some more! I've never had a vehicle that didn't go at least 200,000 miles and they were gas engines. I have no reason to believe that this diesel won't do that or better....with some maintenance....

·
1,530 Posts
To answer your question tho... The issue is titan to all other fullsize truck ratio is so low it will take another 11 years for minor issues to arise and changes to be made and who knows how long for some real aftermarket stuff to be available. Luckily the truck is pretty well perfect in stock form,,,for now,,,for me anyway,,,lol

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
search the defect sub forum for your answer. I know the turbo had some problems.
Yes, the turbo did have problems; it was not lubricated properly at the factory and they did a recall and replace on it. They have since corrected that on the line, so going forward that will no longer be a problem. I'm looking for an inherent design flaw that would require them to "go back to the drawing board or else it won't make 300,000 miles".

·
658 Posts
I've had my Titan XD for nearly a year now. On a number of other forums (boating, shooting, etc) I keep reading how we'll never get 300k miles out of these trucks due to DPF, etc. "Just a bad decision to buy this truck".

I went and did as much reading as I could to educate myself as to WHY it is that people say this, and I'm not coming up with an answer. I certainly don't consider myself a gearhead, but I am an engineer by trade, so I can logically assess a situation and come up with an answer if I do my research.

So let's begin.

My history with Nissan goes back five vehicles: two Altima, an Armada, a Maxima, and now my Titan. In none of these vehicles did I experience any major problems that weren't self-inflicted (wife drove over a curb in her '98 Maxima in 2010 and did some underside damage. We just traded it in on a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland). The Armada performed magnificently everywhere except at the pump. The Altimas were flawless. So Nissan - the platform - was without problems.

Cummins is considered by many to be the Gold Standard of diesel engines. They've been around for nearly one hundred years. With the exception of two 5.9L engines (the "53 Block" and the "Killer Dowel Pin" that occurred between 1988-2002) their engines have been bulletproof (or so I've read). So I believe it's fair to say that they have a history of making reliable Diesel engines. The 5.0L engine was supposedly nine years in the making, and is a completely revolutionary design, making more use of a CGI block, newly designed turbocharger that is more fuel efficient, and better emissions control - which I understand is a bone of contention with many - but the government mandated it so we're stuck.

The last major component is the transmission. For that they used the Aisen A466ND - which is basically the same transmission that the Ram 3500 uses. Supposedly it's overspec'ed for the Titan/Cummins pairing.

So now, with all of that, where are the potential flaws in the design of this truck that would prevent it from reaching 20 years or 300,000 miles?

I'm not interested in comparisons of this to other brand trucks; I bought this truck and it's the only one I want to discuss. Please make compelling cases as the design flaws that will prevent me from getting 20 years/300,000 miles out of this. I should add that I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, and the vehicle will follow factory maintenance schedule completely.

Please help me understand why this won't make it. Thanks.
With proper maintenance any vehicle will last 300K+ miles. There is no way these trucks will run 300k miles without some problems though. IIRC, the DPF system is designed for 100k miles. So, somewhere around that time, you should have expectations of having to remove/replace these components. Water pumps, fuel pumps, oil pumps, etc... certainly are not rated for 300k miles and will have replacement intervals well short of the 300k mark. Other fuel system components like glow plugs, injectors, etc all have a time line. Bearings, hubs, ball joints too (not to mention alternators, starters, sensors, other electrical components, etc..). Basically, as a whole, the truck will last as long as you want to spend money to fix it.

So, i guess my question to you is : What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if we think the engine specifically (block, pistons, heads, etc..) will last 300k miles? Are you asking if we think the truck will run 300k miles without any major replacement items?

·
14 Posts
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if we think the engine specifically (block, pistons, heads, etc..) will last 300k miles? Are you asking if we think the truck will run 300k miles without any major replacement items?
I'm curious about the drivetrain (engine, transmission; anything bathed in oil) myself. Does everyone think they are 300k durable?

·
658 Posts
I'm curious about the drivetrain (engine, transmission; anything bathed in oil) myself. Does everyone think they are 300k durable?
I would expect that you should see 300k miles out of the engine. I'm not sure i would expect more than 200-250k out of the transmission, although 300k may be possible. This is all assuming that you are preforming regular maintenance and not abusing the truck as well. I'm not sure what the turbo life span would be, but I'm assuming quit a bit less than 300k. Just my opinion here.

·
158 Posts
I also am a fellow engineer. I don't see any reason why this motor will not make 300k with proper maintenance. Now if for some odd reason there was a failure in the CP4 I could understand how it may trash the top end of the motor. That's about all I can think of for failure

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With proper maintenance any vehicle will last 300K+ miles. There is no way these trucks will run 300k miles without some problems though. IIRC, the DPF system is designed for 100k miles. So, somewhere around that time, you should have expectations of having to remove/replace these components. Water pumps, fuel pumps, oil pumps, etc... certainly are not rated for 300k miles and will have replacement intervals well short of the 300k mark. Other fuel system components like glow plugs, injectors, etc all have a time line. Bearings, hubs, ball joints too (not to mention alternators, starters, sensors, other electrical components, etc..). Basically, as a whole, the truck will last as long as you want to spend money to fix it.

So, i guess my question to you is : What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if we think the engine specifically (block, pistons, heads, etc..) will last 300k miles? Are you asking if we think the truck will run 300k miles without any major replacement items?
What I'm asking is this: All the bragging and claiming that the "older" (pre-2006 I believe) trucks would run forever - what makes these trucks so different that suddenly these engines won't last 300k miles, but the "older" ones will? Why won't these new transmissions last as long as the "older"ones?

I get that there will be system failures in the course of the road to 300k, but isn't that also true for the "older" diesels as well?

I've made a bet that this truck will get me to 300k and beyond - if I do my job. I'm also betting on that lifetime warranty on the powertrain that I have to pull me through the most expensive stuff.

·
701 Posts
I believe 300k miles is not a issue. I cannot get my head around the 10k mile oil change interval... I could accept the idea of a 10 k mile oil change interval if the oil burner was deleted..anything that contaminates itself that bad due to the emissions equiptment needed to keep the epa happy just aint right ..the engine simply bathes its internals in dirty oil ..go figure..i would like to know how the same basic engine is holding up in r.v. And school buss applications... 300k miles is a lot for any pickup regardless..xxx

·
7 Posts
In terms of build quality and service life, I can offer you two experiences I had with my truck (2016 Titan XD Diesel, SL with premium comfort package, so leather interior)-

Friend 1- Owns an accessory parts store, previously was a service manager at Dodge for 25 years, and LOVES Cummins. He has never seen a Cummins engine suffer a catastrophic failure over something stupid; He stated that it may leak oil at high miles, but this Cummins should last as long as you want it to. As well, he was blown away by the detailing in the truck, and stated he as never seen such a well thought out interior. Given his line of work, I feel that is something.

Friend 2- Engineering background, Currently manages a large fleet of fire apparatus, previous job was building fire trucks at a commercial plant, and for a hobby he would measure everything on the trucks being built with a micrometer for fit and finish. After looking at my Titan, he stated he has never seen a vehicle with such good fit and finish, and it was immediately obvious to him that it was overbuilt for its intended audience. He actually went on to point out that the underside looked more like a heavy truck than a plain vanilla half ton. I know this is not news to XD owners...

Bottom line- I bought it because I believed I could get 500,000 km out of it easily, and have a highly serviceable truck within that lifetime. So far, everything points in that direction.

·
705 Posts
The real difference between then and now is the emissions systems. Many believe this significantly reduces engine longevity compared to pre-emission vehicles. Thus far all I've seen is anecdotal evidence and/or opinion based on emission implementation. Not saying it isn't true as I've done little research on the matter nor do I have deep experience in the matter, just saying I personally haven't seen any empirical evidence such as a long term use study, research, etc.

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm pretty confident in my selection. I have been very happy with the truck. I've got about 3,000 miles to go before the 2nd oil change ( Nissan did an oil change when they replaced the turbocharger during the recall).

I will be sending oil samples to Blackstone labs periodically to check break-in. Will post my reports back here.

·
189 Posts
The real difference between then and now is the emissions systems. Many believe this significantly reduces engine longevity compared to pre-emission vehicles. Thus far all I've seen is anecdotal evidence and/or opinion based on emission implementation. Not saying it isn't true as I've done little research on the matter nor do I have deep experience in the matter, just saying I personally haven't seen any empirical evidence such as a long term use study, research, etc.

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

5 points for using anecdotal in a sentence

1 - 20 of 66 Posts