Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
32 Posts
The weakest link in the emissions systems is the EGR system; it is eating portion of hot raw exhaust and putting that back into the intake for the engine to make power is never good. That will have a effect on the rest of the emissions systems. So if that was deleted ( you can not delete per EPA) only that would help to get there without major repairs and parts replacements. So time will tell what happens with these trucks and engines.

·
507 Posts
Te only problem I see is a bunch of big 2, and Italian truck company customers of trucks made in Mexico worrying about the market share Nissan is getting ready to take from them.
Nissan put a lot of thought, and care into this product.
Nissan, and Cummins are well known for building good products,
The engine, transmission, and rear end are all well pretty well proven, so most of the truck is off the shelf proven parts that Nissan, or others have used for a while.
The frame itrself is a boxed version of their 3500 van
The engine has been used in heavy duty operations in municipal vehicles like Garbage trucks, and school Buses, and Municipalities treat their equipment like crap, and only provide maintenance when something breaks.
I am sure Nissan did their due Diligence in picking the Cummins, and i believe Nissan actually makes a Diesel for their international market that they could have used.
The truck is way overbuilt for the service it will see,
A few years ago, before the spec wars the Big 2, and Italians are having, his truck would have been a one ton truck.

·
204 Posts
Nobody has a clue what this truck will do honestly. Simply put. I personally will not do a delete and all that bull crap after warranty has expired as in trucks before hand handled it fine or the things i plan on pulling. I'm happy with what i got

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@Jtp, @Walkdog: Fully agree with you. I pretty much MUST run it in it's stock configuration if I want to ensure I keep the lifetime warranty on the powertrain. I also think as @Jtp says, I lot of time and effort went into building this truck. A great deal of the bashing that comes seems to be coming from people who are in the Big 2 and Italian camp; they're letting emotions get in the way of their thinking. @Jtp summed up the facts quite nicely.

·
1 Posts
probably nothing major, but as with the 6.0/6.4L powerstroke(although there was some other issues there too, like fords new coolant gelling and boiling messing with the head gaskets), the 5.0L cummins is a new design and only miles will tell, brand loyalty to chevy/dodge/ford is probably a big portion of the "REAL problem" with the titan. the only thing I can see would be a 4 bolt instead of 6 bolt pattern for the head, maybe some transmission issues, or the 2 stage turbo but most likely the frame if you live anywhere there is salt. The truth is all brands will have there issues when trying new things. I am personally a fan of the chevy(despite the bailout) body/engine and the Allison trany.

·
12 Posts
Howdy, just bought a used (dealer fleet, low miles) 2016 XD PR with the Cummins. This is my first diesel, so I spent a good deal of time reading reviews prior to purchase. Ive seen a bunch of articles, threads, and whatnot talking about the problems... but seems to me every "problem" was solved by Nissan via recall (happens to them all, doesn't it?) and/or reflashing.

So aside from the thirst for DEF, which seems to be largely influenced by personal driving habits, they seem like pretty good trucks. Ive gotten up to 19mpg in moderate city/hwy driving, which is better than my dearly departed Jeep Wrangler.

Am I missing anything? Thanks!

·
313 Posts
Howdy, just bought a used (dealer fleet, low miles) 2016 XD PR with the Cummins. This is my first diesel, so I spent a good deal of time reading reviews prior to purchase. Ive seen a bunch of articles, threads, and whatnot talking about the problems... but seems to me every "problem" was solved by Nissan via recall (happens to them all, doesn't it?) and/or reflashing.

So aside from the thirst for DEF, which seems to be largely influenced by personal driving habits, they seem like pretty good trucks. Ive gotten up to 19mpg in moderate city/hwy driving, which is better than my dearly departed Jeep Wrangler.

Am I missing anything? Thanks!
Congratz.
My truck asks for 2.5 gallons of def every 1500 miles

·
3 Posts
First of all I would like to apologize if this question have been asked a million times. ok here we go lately saw some early 2016 XD (Manufactured 2/16) diesel for sale with very low miles and really good price is this the one with all the quirky tranny and some loose seatbelt? I really like the truck and my wife likes it too but the thing that holding us back to get one of those 2016 (Manufactured 2/16) XD's are all the issues I have read here.

Thank you all in advance!

·
155 Posts
Loud Engine Noises at high speed
Third brake light cracked
Door handles fail/ freeze
Tailgate lock fails
AC failures, both actuators and controllers failures
Seats do not heat
Squeak in cab
Radio Reboots and radio bizarre screens
Transmission shifts like a bull on cocaine
Front parking sensors fail/ false alarm
4wd transfer issues
msl parts fall off, from not being installed or torqued
Paint issues
Windshield break for no reason
Fuel Issues, Nissan blames owners & gas station owners
Keys not working, keyless start
Alignment issues, ie they can not get some trucks to stop pulling one way

·
531 Posts
Tailgate lock fails
Seats do not heat
Squeak in cab
4wd transfer issues
Paint issues

These are the "common" issues, however i have had 0 of them and everything for me works as designed. Also mine is the 16 with a build date of 12/15. So its an early one... also gotta remember, its been said many times before, alot of people join forums to share bad stories not good ones.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Tailgate lock fails
Seats do not heat
Squeak in cab
4wd transfer issues
Paint issues

Of that list, I can honestly say I've only had one issue; the Alignment issue (pull to the right) and the dealer made an adjustment to correct it. I did have the turbo recall, and the seat belt recall, and only have the 2WD model.

·
901 Posts
Ive got a very very slight pull right,i had my tailgat latch adjusted snd a park sensor cleaned up. Mines a 16 diesel i think my build date is june of 16. No complaints other than regens but again i dont drive anywhere for any time.

·
151 Posts
I've got a 2016 Pro4X, with a build date of 11/15 - first month of production. I just passed 40K miles. Only issues to date - electronic tailgate lock mechanism was replaced and the alignment adjusted for slight pull to the right. Both were class issues for early builds. No other issues. I did have the ECM and TCM re-flashed to most recent updates while in for regular maintenance

·
537 Posts
03/16 build date now 30k. Few minor issues all but one addressed by nissan. Seat belt recall, tank vent checked but all good flash updates fixed all but cold trans shift 3 to 4 tailgate lock adjusted belt tension bolt not torqued transmission pan bolts under torqued bolts holding tailgate cover over torqued battery tiedowns over torqued missing body plug deformed bottom door gasket driverside door switch defective two cables not properly secured engine heat shield rattle when dead cold. This verse my Dodge ram 2500 I'll keep the Nissan.

·
313 Posts
03/16 build date now 30k. Few minor issues all but one addressed by nissan. Seat belt recall, tank vent checked but all good flash updates fixed all but cold trans shift 3 to 4 tailgate lock adjusted belt tension bolt not torqued transmission pan bolts under torqued bolts holding tailgate cover over torqued battery tiedowns over torqued missing body plug deformed bottom door gasket driverside door switch defective two cables not properly secured engine heat shield rattle when dead cold. This verse my Dodge ram 2500 I'll keep the Nissan.
Engine heat shield rattle? How was that fixed ?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Tailgate lock fails
Seats do not heat
Squeak in cab
4wd transfer issues
Paint issues

Wow that is a good list. I have had all of those excluding the transfer case issue, parts falling off and windshield breaking. I would also add third brake light cracking due to factory fitment and wind noise from the mirrors or poor door seals. The most frustrating are the transmission shift points and alignment. The rest I can live with.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts