Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
5 Posts
I just bought one for my 17 and whole team performance is noticeable, it did not cure my slow response. I bought the AFE sprint booster and I also have the AFE scorcher

·
23 Posts
I have not but I am aware of its existence. I have been skeptical but perhaps it would be worth a try. The dead pedal comes from the torque management system, not the pedal. I have never received a satisfactory answer as to just how it manages to override the TMS and liven up the pedal response, but I guess if it works, it works.
I've had my PC on my '16 for a year and can attest to its effectiveness at eliminating dead pedal as well. I'm looking to go full delete now, so my PC will be up for sale if you'd like to save a few bones to try it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
1,088 Posts
I've had my PC on my '16 for a year and can attest to its effectiveness at eliminating dead pedal as well. I'm looking to go full delete now, so my PC will be up for sale if you'd like to save a few bones to try it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Why would you sell.it? Dead pedal isnt resolved by deleting and tuning. Still need pedal commander

·
3 Posts
What I'm asking is this: All the bragging and claiming that the "older" (pre-2006 I believe) trucks would run forever - what makes these trucks so different that suddenly these engines won't last 300k miles, but the "older" ones will? Why won't these new transmissions last as long as the "older"ones?

I get that there will be system failures in the course of the road to 300k, but isn't that also true for the "older" diesels as well?

I've made a bet that this truck will get me to 300k and beyond - if I do my job. I'm also betting on that lifetime warranty on the powertrain that I have to pull me through the most expensive stuff.
Was the life time warranty an optional, I didn’t get it offered. How much was it

·
1 Posts
Well Ladies, I have a 2016 Platinum Reserve at 100k miles and she has a few moans and groans but nothing big. Like most of the posts said, "the vehicle will last as long as you keep pouring money into it." I alternate replacing the Gas filters and oil change to break up the financial hit.
Here is my list of repairs replacements or gripes:
  • set of tires, the originals were shit
  • one windshield replacement
  • transmission fluid flush
  • the radio blinks out and resets every once and awhile, usually when its wet outside
  • transmission has the grace of a 2 penny whore
  • gasket around drivers door has a bit of wind noise
  • just noticed a slight smell of antifreeze in this winter at stops
  • Fuel consumption is 17 mpg
  • last summer I had to disassemble and grease the rear tailgate so that the lock would not seize up
  • the titanium chrome on the running boards and wheels is starting to discolour and/or chip
  • flimsy key cap on drivers door had to be replaced $45 for a $10 part
  • replaced battery on key fob
  • front bumper paint is pitted from rocks and shit
Instead of painting the bumper I will probably get one of those heavy duty steel bumpers with spikes on it.

·
580 Posts
Get a pedal commander and install. It dont improve dead pedal for you - you can throw eggs in me and Jayces face. Lol
I finally ordered one because it was on sale at Amazon... I'm going to take you up on this... in fact I am kinda hoping it doesn't work :ROFLMAO:

·
580 Posts

·
1 Posts
tell me WHY it shouldn't go 500,000 ?!? I have had medium duty engines, Mercedes & CAT that went 700 & 850,000 before being replaced, and U'r tellin me a Cummins will ONLY GO 300 ? and MIGHT NOT EVEN DO THAT ??? U GOTTA be kidding me... really...? I would EXPECT 3-500K and anything less would be UN ACCEPTABLE.. I mean, U might have to replace some injectors/ fuel pump, alternators, and/or TURBOs along th way, but WTF. It's a CUMMINS it's NOT GONNA BE 'repair FREE' !!! too bad they won't put a Detroit Diesel in it . .

·
7 Posts
I've had my Titan XD for nearly a year now. On a number of other forums (boating, shooting, etc) I keep reading how we'll never get 300k miles out of these trucks due to DPF, etc. "Just a bad decision to buy this truck".

I went and did as much reading as I could to educate myself as to WHY it is that people say this, and I'm not coming up with an answer. I certainly don't consider myself a gearhead, but I am an engineer by trade, so I can logically assess a situation and come up with an answer if I do my research.

So let's begin.

My history with Nissan goes back five vehicles: two Altima, an Armada, a Maxima, and now my Titan. In none of these vehicles did I experience any major problems that weren't self-inflicted (wife drove over a curb in her '98 Maxima in 2010 and did some underside damage. We just traded it in on a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland). The Armada performed magnificently everywhere except at the pump. The Altimas were flawless. So Nissan - the platform - was without problems.

Cummins is considered by many to be the Gold Standard of diesel engines. They've been around for nearly one hundred years. With the exception of two 5.9L engines (the "53 Block" and the "Killer Dowel Pin" that occurred between 1988-2002) their engines have been bulletproof (or so I've read). So I believe it's fair to say that they have a history of making reliable Diesel engines. The 5.0L engine was supposedly nine years in the making, and is a completely revolutionary design, making more use of a CGI block, newly designed turbocharger that is more fuel efficient, and better emissions control - which I understand is a bone of contention with many - but the government mandated it so we're stuck.

The last major component is the transmission. For that they used the Aisen A466ND - which is basically the same transmission that the Ram 3500 uses. Supposedly it's overspec'ed for the Titan/Cummins pairing.

So now, with all of that, where are the potential flaws in the design of this truck that would prevent it from reaching 20 years or 300,000 miles?

I'm not interested in comparisons of this to other brand trucks; I bought this truck and it's the only one I want to discuss. Please make compelling cases as the design flaws that will prevent me from getting 20 years/300,000 miles out of this. I should add that I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, and the vehicle will follow factory maintenance schedule completely.

Please help me understand why this won't make it. Thanks.
I am also an engineer by trade and like you have jad very good experience with Nissan having owned 2 Titans (2006 and 2016 gas engine) and considered the pairing of the diesel cummins appealing based on the long proven performance.

I have been very pleased up until the first 46k miles but Sunday my 2018 Nissan Titan XD Platinum had its first problem....failed ctank shaft destroyed the engine and now I am waiting for a new long block to be instLled by my dealers lone diesel mechanic....who is awesome. I am concerned that since the root cause could not be identified by Nissan and therefore no corrective action other than replacement. I continue to find others in my same situation and some have replaced engine 2 times in first 120k miles. This does not appear to isolated and there are few satisfactory answers coming from Nissan or Cummins as Nissan is backing out of production. I hope to find some answers that restore my confidence in Nissan.

·
126 Posts
I am also an engineer by trade and like you have jad very good experience with Nissan having owned 2 Titans (2006 and 2016 gas engine) and considered the pairing of the diesel cummins appealing based on the long proven performance.

I have been very pleased up until the first 46k miles but Sunday my 2018 Nissan Titan XD Platinum had its first problem....failed ctank shaft destroyed the engine and now I am waiting for a new long block to be instLled by my dealers lone diesel mechanic....who is awesome. I am concerned that since the root cause could not be identified by Nissan and therefore no corrective action other than replacement. I continue to find others in my same situation and some have replaced engine 2 times in first 120k miles. This does not appear to isolated and there are few satisfactory answers coming from Nissan or Cummins as Nissan is backing out of production. I hope to find some answers that restore my confidence in Nissan.
I’d like to know how many Cummins they have sold vs how many cranks have gone out. Not turbos or injectors just cranks. I think we have a right to know. I still stand behind there is a defective issue and neither Cummins or Nissan is going to own it. 89000 problem free but it almost sounds like these are a gernade waiting to happen. Thoughts

·
560 Posts
I’d like to know how many Cummins they have sold vs how many cranks have gone out. Not turbos or injectors just cranks. I think we have a right to know. I still stand behind there is a defective issue and neither Cummins or Nissan is going to own it. 89000 problem free but it almost sounds like these are a gernade waiting to happen. Thoughts
We'll only know if we have a Cummins insider.

·
7 Posts
I have more questions than answers. I don't think answers will come unless forced. I wonder if it is a problem with tje block (material, design, spec tolerance) rather than the crank. I would be very interested in knowing what the root cause of these failures are and what has been done to correct it. I suspect Nossan knows whatvthe issue is and it isn't easily resolved and that may be a factor in them discontinuing the diesel Titan line as of this year. There may litigation on the matter that could be researched.

·
126 Posts
I called nissan Canada and asked how many cranks have been replaced since 2016 they pretty much told me to pound sand and they’ll never release that stat. WTF

·
86 Posts
Emissions equipment kill these engines. No questions asked. Even Cummins has admitted to this. Yes the question will be side skirted with “it’s a clean running engine“ but the fact of the matter is cycling exhaust gas back into the engine is literally shitting where it eats....The simple solution is to delete it and take care of the maintenance requirements of the engine

61 - 78 of 78 Posts