Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are proud to introduce the pick-up that American truck lovers have been waiting for…the all-new Nissan Titan.”

- Carlos Ghosn, Chairman and CEO of the Renault-Nissan Alliance

Whether that turns out to be true or not remains to be seen, however what remains a fact is that Nissan put in the wrench time and developed a product that, at least on paper, sounds excellent. 555 lb-ft of torque at 1600 revs, yes please.

Nissan is banking that the Titan XD will tickle the fancy of the estimated (theirs) 150,000 annual shoppers who find themselves in pickup limbo. Not needing the size or full capability of an HD but needing more than what a conventional half ton can offer.

So how does the XD differ from its eventual half ton stable mate?

The big one obviously is the 5.0 Cummins ISV diesel, however the drive train differences don't end there. The XD will receive an Aisin six speed automatic, exclusive to the truck, in order to deal with the increased torque loads. Helping to put the power down is a new transfer case. The rear end received a purpose built axle from American Axle MAnufacturing, similar to what Nissan uses in their Commercial Vehicles.

Drive train aside, substantial work was put into beefing up the XD's underpinnings for more arduous duty. Nissans Commercial Vehicle program was the jumping off point, Titan XD's frame is a fully boxed, full ladder setup made from high strength steel, making it sturdier and stronger.

XD's front end is shared with the full size NV's (although that may be both new Titans not just XD). Double wishbone front suspension was reinforced and out back received larger leaf springs and all new HD leaf bushings.

However, oddly auto 4WD for the transfer case is conspicuously absent, conspicuous considering its something present on all other H/T's and has been for years.

And thats just the mechanical effort that went into the XD, never mind the host of clever add ons and useful work tech.

• Integrated Trailer Brake
  • Tow/Haul Mode
  • Downhill Speed Control
  • Trailer Sway Control
  • Trailer Guide (rearveiw monitor)
  • Integrated LED Bed Lighting
  • 5th Wheel Hitch
  • Damped Tailgate
  • 120 Volt Bed Outlet
  • Utili-Track Tie-Down System in the floor
  • Lockable Storage Boxes
  • Nissan Around View
  • Telescoping Exterior Mirrors

Price is the last large question that remains to be answered. North of $50K would seem logical if you factor in the big diesel and the buckets of content. Consdiering modestly equipped EcoDiesels were rolling off the lots north of $40K, fifty large seems like a fair place to speculate...

·
608 Posts
Some really nice features on the Titan. The lit bed seems like a really nice touch. Do these features really set the Titan apart from what is already out there though?

·
313 Posts
Price is the last large question that remains to be answered. North of $50K would seem logical if you factor in the big diesel and the buckets of content. Consdiering modestly equipped EcoDiesels were rolling off the lots north of $40K, fifty large seems like a fair place to speculate...
A lot will depend upon whether the XD Cummins is only available on the high end trims. If so, could well be North of 50K

·
28 Posts
A lot will depend upon whether the XD Cummins is only available on the high end trims. If so, could well be North of 50K
If Nissan want's to sell they will put the Cummins in all trim models as an option. I could see the Platinum Reserve trim starting around 60k.

·
19 Posts
Lots of likes and dislikes.
I don't really care how the vehicle looks that much, although I have no problem with the XD's appearance. It's what's inside that counts. The front grill doesn't bother me that much. They were initially going to put the Cummins badge on the grill but found it interfered with engine cooling too much. You need a big open grill for this engine. Whatever. I like the stick on the column. I love the bed lighting and I'd love to see a picture of the removable bed storage. I like the general idea of the zero gravity seats, but I haven't tried them before. My 05 Titan had the most comfortable seats I have ever owned and that was a bench seat.

Here is what I am disappointed about. A one ton cargo capacity is a bit small. Forget pulling most light-weight (under 10K pounds) fifth wheel travel trailers with pin weights at around 1200-1500 pounds. 12K pounds is nothing to brag about in this day and age unless that is on the bottom side for all the configurations. Let's hope those numbers go up. I was expecting something much larger. No mention at all of exhaust braking. The engine does it, why not the truck? I think the center dashboard screen is a bit small. A vehicle that size needs a ten inch screen. Not sure about the fuel tank size, but I hope that breaks 30 gallons. It doesn't look like it, but I haven't seen any specifications. Wish they had a larger rear window opening. I love the rear window on the Tundra where 100% of it goes down. Even my 05 Titan had a bigger rear sliding window.

Other than the engine and in-bed locking storage there is nothing about this vehicle that hasn't been done before. Ford has very similar towing capabilities with a 3.5 liter V6. Not towing the Ford will get similar mileage. I needed a reason to want this vehicle, but they haven't sold me on it. You can buy a much more capable 2500 for around 55K with a bigger diesel. If Nissan prices this at that level, they aren't going to sell that many. If they can market a well equipped version at 45K, they are going to sell a lot of these. Basically what Nissan has made is a truck designed to pull a good sized trailer on a hitch and get decent mileage doing it. They claim a 20% improvement. Unfortunately diesel fuel costs 60% more than gas so the economics just don't work out. If you get 20% better mileage and have a huge fuel tank, an argument can be made for the extended range. I currently can drive about 200 miles per tank with my Tundra pulling a trailer and getting 10 mpg (with a 6 gallon reserve). In reality I'll pull over on average every 150 miles. If I got 12 mpg and had 30 usable gallons (with a 5 gallon reserve) I could drive 360 miles. I basically could double the time between fill-ups. That would be a selling point. It isn't that easy to find gas stations you want to pull your trailer into, so range is important. The final benefit may be only because of the Cummins and that would be improved resale value. I got nothing for my old Titan and I only had 70K-80K miles on it when I sold it. It basically had depreciated 66% over 5 years. This is way above average depreciation for a pickup. The Cummins, should it prove to be reliable can only improve upon that.

So what does the XD offer? Cost of ownership could go through the roof, but we will have to see. Lots of low range torque. Nice. Extended range? Maybe. Nice interior, but nothing that hasn't been done by other manufacturers. Lower depreciation? Maybe, but unknown and will not be known for years. Count me in as slightly impressed but cautious. Pricing is going to be a key factor as well as the capabilities and pricing of the gaser XD.

·
313 Posts
I don't get why people are expecting one-ton towing figures from a half ton.
"half ton, one ton" that's old terminology. You can't take it at face value.

Modern "half tons", the 150/1500 trucks, have all been approaching 2000# payload in some models. Especially Ford and Chevy, not so much RAM. My 2011 F150 has over 2000# payload, and it's rear GAWR limits what I can tow, not payload.

And Ford has been making "heavy half tons", an F150 with the HD Payload option, that goes up to 3000# payload.

Modern gas 250/2500 trucks usually get you 3000# payload or over. But adding a diesel and lots of heavy expensive options can drop that way down.

The gas "one ton" trucks, 350/3500, can have over 4000# payload.

Also, with the 5L diesel the Nissan XD really should be able to handle a higher payload than 2000#. The 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 HD Payload trucks does fine and will be the Nisan XD's main competitor.

Reactions: kramer

·
313 Posts
No mention at all of exhaust braking. The engine does it, why not the truck?
The truck HAS to have the exhaust brake. It's one of the main benefits of the diesel besides all that low rpm torque.

If they don't put that in they will have seriously screwed up.

EDIT: has anyone got a good close-up picture of the dash? There should be an exhaust brake on/off switch there somewhere if it has it.

·
107 Posts
Lets wait for the officials numbers. I was shocked too with the 12K towing, but that might be for the gaser engine. I think the ISV will be good for 14K plus 3K payload. With the ISV plus the Aisin, would be a waste of power!!:surprise:

·
313 Posts
I think the ISV will be good for 14K plus 3K payload. With the ISV plus the Aisin, would be a waste of power!!:surprise:
Thats 250/2500 territory.
Not what this truck is all about.
It's supposed to be somewhere in-between.

But it would be nice if they added a rear leaf or two to get the payload *substantially* over 2000#. Looks like the rest of the truck could handle it.

·
28 Posts
The truck HAS to have the exhaust brake. It's one of the main benefits of the diesel besides all that low rpm torque.

If they don't put that in they will have seriously screwed up.

EDIT: has anyone got a good close-up picture of the dash? There should be an exhaust brake on/off switch there somewhere if it has it.
No exhaust brake would be a huge fail for the truck.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
That picture makes it look like it has a 5000 rpm redline! That would be insane! It's probably 4000 though.

·
313 Posts
Wonder if the exhaust brake might be integrated into, say, tow/haul mode? So it comes on automatically when you select tow/haul.

EDIT: According to the picture, the tranny has a tow mode on the column shifter.

And it does look like the red line is 5000 to me.
Maybe they are showing us the Gas version of the interior ?????

·
19 Posts
Maybe it is the gas version although 5000 rpm would be on the low side for a gas engine. If they aren't advertising exhaust braking, I doubt they are offering it. Maybe they haven't worked out some kinks. I can't imagine them not having an "off" switch since I have driven by signs that mention using exhaust brakes is illegal in those locations. Probably because of the noise. There are a lot of missing switches under and to the left of the steering wheel. I see I think 4 blank plates. They do mention something about advanced downhill control, which may involve exhaust braking, but I think it might have more to do with the transmission.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Maybe it is the gas version although 5000 rpm would be on the low side for a gas engine. If they aren't advertising exhaust braking, I doubt they are offering it. Maybe they haven't worked out some kinks. I can't imagine them not having an "off" switch since I have driven by signs that mention using exhaust brakes is illegal in those locations. Probably because of the noise. There are a lot of missing switches under and to the left of the steering wheel. I see I think 4 blank plates. They do mention something about advanced downhill control, which may involve exhaust braking, but I think it might have more to do with the transmission.
Jacobs company had lawsuits against municipalities that have prohibited the use of safety equipment. With a properly designed and maintained exhaust system, engine brakes easily stay within required decibel levels.

Those signs started popping up and have not been removed since jacob brakes started becoming popular on mechanical diesels that had very open exhaust systems. It's true that with an improperly designed exhaust system, jake brakes can be very loud. Modern jake/C-brakes used in combination with exhaust braking is not much louder than the engine is under load. If you're familiar with the sound, you'll notice in the cities many new trucks are using their engine brakes anyways, ignoring the outdated signage.

·
19 Posts
Any links to the lawsuits? All I can find is Jacobs suing municipalities (in most case just cease and desist letters) where the signs mention "Jake" brakes, which is a registered trademark. If the municipalities replace the verbiage, from what I read, all is OK with Jake :) The only reason I mention it is that you would think there would be an on/off switch of some type. Exhaust braking pulling a trailer would seem to be a really good idea assuming the trailer has decent brakes too. I hope Nissan hasn't omitted this.

·
492 Posts
Since the turbo has a rotary valve that provides engine braking, and it is electronically controlled, I am certain that it will be used.
It's possible that it is controlled by the brake pedal, like GM uses on their trucks (tap the brake pedal twice and it locks the torque converter and applies the engine braking).
PS This is not anything like a Jake brake. It will not be noisy. It is just a valve that creates back pressure when it is closed.

·
19 Posts
Curious that Nissan did not mention it. Maybe it goes without saying, but you would think that since Dodge doesn't have the capability, they would want to mention it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts