Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I wonder how long until we see a banks programmer?

Even though the truck is on big tires and on a hoist, it's not a little truck judging by the way he has to lean into the engine bay!

·
492 Posts
In the video, they say that they are installing a "Cold Air Intake".
The title says it is Ram air. I don't think it's a Ram Air intake since it draws air from the stock fender location.
Banks needs to change the title of the video.

·
38 Posts
"Ram Air" is the name of banks' cold air intake system (it is copyrighted). I believe you are confusing a short ram intake with this "ram air" cold air intake. I had to look it up myself since the name makes it confusing.

·
36 Posts
So I understand it is a bigger filter and in theory it will draw more air more easily, but its drawing from the stock location. I guess they still call it a cold air intake because of where the stock location draws from? Its not like some other kits that relocate the air intake location. Also, who feels they will really see any sort of increase in MPG or response because of this kit? On a naturally aspirated machine it would make a lot more difference, but since this has a turbo, I wonder really what kind of difference this will make.

·
38 Posts
I think you will. According to all of Banks' tests comparing stock diesel intakes vs their Ram Air cold air intake:

Stock Intake:
Elevated ambient air temp 17.7° F
Lowered air pressure 6.8%
Combined result: air density 90.2% of ambient

Banks Ram-Air:
Elevated ambient temp just 12.3° F
Air pressure 3.9% lower than ambient
Combined result: air density 93.9% of ambient

That is a 3.7% increase in air density which I believe would correlate to a a proportional increase in HP (meaning the titan's new hp would be 321.5). I am not sure if the engine computer will decrease the amount of fuel in response to the increase in air density. If not you would have to install an aftermarket chip to see any increase in mpg.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
A turbocharger is a multiplier. So any change on inlet pressure will have a multiplied effect on the end result.

Ram Air is a marketing name that has existed for ages. Automobiles don't go fast enough to benifit from the ram jet effect.

Sounds cool and feeds clean, sometimes denser air to the engine though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts