Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner, I searched high and low through this forum and google to find a consensus on what people are using for their tow receiver hitch. I have read just about every post in every thread of the towing forum. And I will say I fully understand that I need to match my towing equipment properly to my tow vehicle in coordination with what I am towing. This has been discussed over and over in this forum.

So here’s my question: what tow receiver are you using? It seems to me I basically have two options for a heavy bumper pull hitch: the class iv that Nissan makes that sits nicely under the bumper of the truck but isn’t rated up to the capacity of the truck (and not quite the capacity I need) or the awkwardly low and ugly class v Curt hitch. Am I missing any other options? Am I stuck with the low hanging curt if I need the higher capacity?

Thanks all!

·
358 Posts
I have the Curt Class V hitch, and, as you say, it's boxy and ugly. There are a couple advantages to it that I like, though. If you lift your truck, it works out really well with its lower receiver height. Also, if you get rear-ended by a low-sitting car, the hitch'll take the impact rather than having them slide up into your undercarriage - as I found out one day last year.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Curt Class V hitch, and, as you say, it's boxy and ugly. There are a couple advantages to it that I like, though. If you lift your truck, it works out really well with its lower receiver height. Also, if you get rear-ended by a low-sitting car, the hitch'll take the impact rather than having them slide up into your undercarriage - as I found out one day last year.
My truck is stock height. Do you think I will have any issues with my trailer sitting too low?

·
145 Posts
My truck is stock height. Do you think I will have any issues with my trailer sitting too low?
Plenty of options to correct for that. The two adjustable drawbars posted will work to raise it up. Those are real useful if you tow a few different trailers. If you tow the same trailer all the time, you can probably save a bit by getting the drawbar with the correct drop/rise. Flipping over a standard drop hitch will give you a rise hitch.

My boat trailer is a bit on the high side. On my Tundra I had to use a drawbar that had a 1" rise for it to be level. On the XD, I need to use a 2" drop. Luckily for me, these are the same drawbar.

I'm sure this goes without saying as you are doing the right thing with weight ratings on the receiver. Don't forget about the drawbar and the ball. The standard welded drawbars you see in Walmart or most auto parts stores are usually only rated to 5K or so.

·
5 Posts
Plenty of options to correct for that. The two adjustable drawbars posted will work to raise it up. Those are real useful if you tow a few different trailers. If you tow the same trailer all the time, you can probably save a bit by getting the drawbar with the correct drop/rise. Flipping over a standard drop hitch will give you a rise hitch.

My boat trailer is a bit on the high side. On my Tundra I had to use a drawbar that had a 1" rise for it to be level. On the XD, I need to use a 2" drop. Luckily for me, these are the same drawbar.

I'm sure this goes without saying as you are doing the right thing with weight ratings on the receiver. Don't forget about the drawbar and the ball. The standard welded drawbars you see in Walmart or most auto parts stores are usually only rated to 5K or so.
Even stock this truck sits higher then any truck i have had. I have had to get hitch extensions for my camp trailer, and boat trailer. I wouldn't think you would have to worry about it sitting to low.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I've experimented with many hitches and load leveling syatms for bumper pull trailers over the years. The only one on the market today that really works as described and is almost painless to install is the Husky TS system. Warning though....you do need an electric jack on the tongue though for easy hookup.

·
426 Posts
The highest hitch rating in the manual for 2016 is 1231.4/12,314.0 so if you really need much more then that you have the wrong truck. Nissan says a WDH is recommended above 5,000 but doesn’t set different ratings for WD and weight carrying. Arice if your raising the backend of the truck high your using too much WD. It is in fact best to use as little WD as possible. The last time I scaled I had only recovered 40% of the weight lost due to tongue load. I have no issues towing with no WD at all with 950lbs TW and 8,000lbs of trailer at 65 mph.

Attachments

·
702 Posts
I use an EZ-Lift 48069, which is rated to 12,000 gross trailer weight and 1,200 tongue weight. Works wonderfully on my 9990 GVWR cargo trailer. (why it's 9990 and not 10400 is a whole other thread I don't want to start lol)

·
39 Posts
i got the Gen-Y adjustable class IV system. Has all three ball sizes and even has an adapter for pintle style trailers.

I got the torsion spring version which reduces trailer shock when starting/stopping to something close to nada!

TFLtruck uses them on the Ike gauntlet testing on youtube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts