Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your tough on this truck so far with the info availble; Tow rating, pawload, mpg, pricing. Is this ruck really between the 1500 and 2500 trucks.

For me this truck is a 1500, with a heavier frame, and a 3/4 ton truck MPG.

·
658 Posts
What are your tough on this truck so far with the info availble; Tow rating, pawload, mpg, pricing. Is this ruck really between the 1500 and 2500 trucks.

For me this truck is a 1500, with a heavier frame, and a 3/4 ton truck MPG.
During all the discussion going on with this truck around here the past few day, I have been wondering the same thing...

What is this truck filling? IIRC Nissan said they identified 100k people a year stuck between deciding to upgrade to a 3/4 ton or down size to a 1/2 ton and thereby being stuck in the middle. But so far I cant see any place that this truck will be filling that "white space". What does this truck offer that current 1/2 tons don't (other than the obvious Cummins Diesel)? If you didn't need the power of a 3/4 ton but needed more than the current 1/2 tons, how in the world could this truck help? I don't get it... Now I understand why they were keeping this info quiet for so long.

·
44 Posts
Hey all. I'm going to wait to see some real world numbers before getting all ticked off. I'm looking at this truck with regard to how it will do towing about 7,000lbs up and down mountain roads. How is this thing going to stack up against a f150 or 1500 GMC? Trucks that I could get for about $40,000. Gas vs. diesel? I know I cannot afford a diesel for $40,000 even with "serious' markdowns. Can I get a F250 crew, 4x4 and 6.7 powerstroke stripped for $40,000? NOPE. A GMC 2500 crew, 4x4 and 6.6? Hardly. The TITAN? Who knows because right now we don't have hard $$ figures, real world MPG or real day to day living with it data.
If the Titan gets 16 city and maybe 20 hwy, has good power on long, steep hills and is comfortable I'm interested. 7,000lbs or so for this truck? I see it as a truck that won't get pushed around as much as the GMC canyon I was looking at.

I see this truck as a possible entry level diesel truck that will pull a standard trailer well. I think that the hype about the 5th wheel towing is misleading though. It will have to be a darned small 5th wheel trailer to be towed by the Titan.

lots of unknowns at this point.

Flame suit ON.

·
857 Posts
I think one thing they also tried to do here is target those who can easily justify an SUV but might want something different which a truck could be for them, being diesel, having the level of design and luxury it has, it's a good option.

·
77 Posts
Nissan also has a reputation for underrating its trucks, where the domestics tend to overrate so yea I would say wait for the real world testing then make a decision.

·
1,979 Posts
Nissan also has a reputation for underrating its trucks, where the domestics tend to overrate so yea I would say wait for the real world testing then make a decision.
Understandable but, legally wise the numbers are set.

·
22 Posts
My thought is it probably could've been made lighter, it probably could've had more payload, but in the longrun it seems like these are the same things that could/would make the truck more reliable down the road. I'm looking at a once in 7-10 year purchase here and I think the heavy duty components used along with the comfort in mind is still right up my alley. Granted, I don't tow a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer, but I do have a sizable wake boat, 2 dirtbikes, mtn bikes and gear that all go on trips at the same time that make a 2015 F-150 squat a little more than I think it should for the weight I'm carrying. If this thing is anywhere close to the city/hwy/towing mileage of the 3.5 ecoboost, then this truck is still a heavy favorite in my book.

Ford says they can tow 12,200lbs... Only 1 model really does that, same with the Titan here. One model tows 12,300, others are more like 11,700. Do I think it could do more safely...definitely, but I also wouldn't want to tow more than 12,000 lbs between a heavy half or the XD in the Colorado mtns either.

For the longterm buyer, I think the Titan is better equipped to go the distance, but I guess we shall all see.

·
38 Posts
I think with the numbers that have come out they are trying to fill a white space, just not the white space we expected. Its towing capability is at the top of the 1/2 ton segment. The nearest comparable is the f150 hd ecoboost. However it will tow with more confidence than the f150 due to the extra weight. The weight will stabilize it and the beefed up aisin tranny will last for the life of the truck even towing half of its life. It will also get better fuel economy when towing. Those twin turbos on the ecoboost work like crazy when towing and guzzle gas. Additionally the turbos are only under warranty for 60,000 miles. I doubt they last the life of the truck for someone who tows on a consistent basis. Yes the f150 has a much larger payload however that is a tradeoff with the extra weight (and in my opinion longevity) for the Titans better engine, larger tranny, and frame.

When compared to the 3/4 ton trucks it comes no where close to capability. However it has similar weight due to the 3/4 style parts on the titan. One thing that people aren't talking about is how every reviewer has commented on the ride quality. From everything I've seen, the ride quality is that of a 1/2 ton truck and does great both on and off road.

I think most people on here were expecting the specs to land in the following categories:

Payload: high 1/2 ton
Weight: high 1/2 ton
Towing capacity: low 3/4 ton
MPG: 1/2 ton
Price: low 1/2 ton
Ride Comfort: 1/2 ton

When in reality we got:

Payload: low 1/2 ton
Weight: 3/4 ton
Towing capacity: high 1/2 ton
MPG: 3/4 ton
Price: 1/2 ton
Ride Comfort: 1/2 ton

I think it does fit the description as an in-betweener... Just not in the way we all expected/hoped for.

·
12 Posts
I think my situation is great example of a potential white-space buyer...

I recently traded in my 2011 Titan Pro-4x King Cab set up for towing (helper springs, LT tires, etc.) for a 2013 Silverado 2500 crew cab with the Duramax. I up-sized form an 18 ft travel trailer (5,000 lbs loaded) to a 27 foot toy hauler (9,500 lbs max loaded). Even in UT, with mountains and steep grades, I never once questioned whether or not my Titan could pull the weight. However, I upgraded because I had serious concerns that it could handle the tongue weight, stop the trailer and offer a stable and safe towing experience. I stumbled into the Duramax and I don't regret it as it is a great tow rig. However, the interior sucks and it's not the most pleasant to drive around town and I'll never pull anything near it's max bumper pull rating of 13,000 lbs. Likewise, I know that a max tow F-150 EcoBoost will pull the same 9,500 lbs with ease, but with a curb weight less than my Titan, I don't think it's the ideal tow rig for anything over 8,000 lbs either. Anyone that has logged a few hundred miles towing heavy, knows there is a lot more to towing safely and efficiently than raw pulling power.

So for me, If I don't want/need a 3/4 ton diesel, the only real options for the 8,000 to 11,000 lb towing range is a 3/4 ton gasser or the XD. Given that 3/4 ton gassers and the XD have similar curb weights, I think the XD with Cummins is going to be a much better performer under load. I'll even venture to say that the XD with an upgraded 5.6 gas variant will be a serious truck too that will stack up really well against 3/4 ton gassers towing similar weights.

·
214 Posts
Keep in mind that the current numbers are for the Crew Cab.

If they make a XD with a Super cab and a 8' box, the numbers should be even higher...

·
12 Posts
I also expect the gas engine will be a tad lighter as well with the same GVWR as the Cummins. So, the max payload available on the XD will eventually be seen on a 4x2 King Cab with gas engine option.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Another area that the titan as one person mentioned earlier. Some people still buy a truck to last them 10 years. I'm a 2 year jumper until I got my 2012 titan. Every other truck I have owned at about 100,000km they start to need some work. My titan at 100k needed nothing and everything still felt as new. My issue was I couldn't ignore how bad it was legging in economy. So I decided to try the new F150. Now after 25,000 km it's starting to wear like any other newer truck I have had except as stated the titan. I would have been content with my titan if it was a little more modernized. That's why I am after the new titan and if it's like previous generation they are built to last.

·
158 Posts
I think my situation is great example of a potential white-space buyer...

I recently traded in my 2011 Titan Pro-4x King Cab set up for towing (helper springs, LT tires, etc.) for a 2013 Silverado 2500 crew cab with the Duramax. I up-sized form an 18 ft travel trailer (5,000 lbs loaded) to a 27 foot toy hauler (9,500 lbs max loaded). Even in UT, with mountains and steep grades, I never once questioned whether or not my Titan could pull the weight. However, I upgraded because I had serious concerns that it could handle the tongue weight, stop the trailer and offer a stable and safe towing experience. I stumbled into the Duramax and I don't regret it as it is a great tow rig. However, the interior sucks and it's not the most pleasant to drive around town and I'll never pull anything near it's max bumper pull rating of 13,000 lbs. Likewise, I know that a max tow F-150 EcoBoost will pull the same 9,500 lbs with ease, but with a curb weight less than my Titan, I don't think it's the ideal tow rig for anything over 8,000 lbs either. Anyone that has logged a few hundred miles towing heavy, knows there is a lot more to towing safely and efficiently than raw pulling power.

So for me, If I don't want/need a 3/4 ton diesel, the only real options for the 8,000 to 11,000 lb towing range is a 3/4 ton gasser or the XD. Given that 3/4 ton gassers and the XD have similar curb weights, I think the XD with Cummins is going to be a much better performer under load. I'll even venture to say that the XD with an upgraded 5.6 gas variant will be a serious truck too that will stack up really well against 3/4 ton gassers towing similar weights.

I agree. If you look at the Ford f150 forum there's plenty of guys on there that talk about the towing capacity of the F150 HD tow package and how the truck is just too light for heavier loads even up to seven to eight thousand pounds.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/hd-payload-package-useless-144964/

There's also an interesting thread on there about whether or not the F150 HD truck actually even exist because you can't order it and you won't be able to find one online very easily:

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/heavy-duty-payload-package-does-exist-315290/

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I have seen a quite a few ford f150 hd's here in ontario. They do exist. Surprisingly enough when I ordered my 2015 f150. It took almost 5 weeks from start to finish. But when you read the forums in the states they were waiting alot longer. And at the time you couldn't get the bigger fuel tank south of the border there was a shortage but up here they are standard on the crew cabs. And we were getting our trucks quicker. But it looks like nissan is taking a different approach as far as availability for us north of the border.

·
12 Posts
I agree. If you look at the Ford f150 forum there's plenty of guys on there that talk about the towing capacity of the F150 HD tow package and how the truck is just too light for heavier loads even up to seven to eight thousand pounds.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/hd-payload-package-useless-144964/

There's also an interesting thread on there about whether or not the F150 HD truck actually even exist because you can't order it and you won't be able to find one online very easily:

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/heavy-duty-payload-package-does-exist-315290/
I've dabbled a bit with Ford's F-150 build it configurator and the one thing I've noticed is that selecting the max tow/max payload packages really limits what other options you can combine with it. This may be why there aren't many trucks with both HD packages out there.

·
15 Posts
The weak link

The problem with the new titan is the payload. A Pro-4X has apron 1740 pounds payload. I take my 8800 po:frown2::frown2:und trailer and have 10% weight on the hitch this is 880 pounds. An equalizer hitch and ball mount adds another 70 pounds. 4 Adults in the cab equals another 700 pounds. I am now at 1650 pounds and I have less than 100 pounds for a canopy, our golf clubs, and camping gear.

Why would they not have at least as much payload as a F150?

In British Columbia they pull people over and check GVWR, RAWR, and GCWR. They don't let you proceed if you are over the rated amount.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Oh come on now, who doesn't like being stopped by the CVSE in a non-commercial vehicle?! One of them lives down the street from me, I often end up passing him in the morning on my commute. I might think twice about that in a pickup though.

·
8 Posts
I've dabbled a bit with Ford's F-150 build it configurator and the one thing I've noticed is that selecting the max tow/max payload packages really limits what other options you can combine with it. This may be why there aren't many trucks with both HD packages out there.
Yeah I did notice this on the F150 website. If you add the max tow package you can't add the off road package. If you add the off road package you can't have the 3.73 rear end and so on. I special ordered mine when I was stationed over seas and I was able to mix and match whatever packages I wanted, even if I couldn't built it on fords website. But I didn't even know there was an HD package until last year. That was never an option I was offered or even saw.

·
14 Posts
I'm not an engineer or truck expert so perhaps this is an ill-informed question, but does the 3.93 ratio of the XD seem high? Would that adversely affect the MPG, and don't manufacturers usually offer other axel ratio options so you can tailor it to your driving style (I.e. MPG vs. towing)?

·
492 Posts
I'm not an engineer or truck expert so perhaps this is an ill-informed question, but does the 3.93 ratio of the XD seem high? Would that adversely affect the MPG, and don't manufacturers usually offer other axel ratio options so you can tailor it to your driving style (I.e. MPG vs. towing)?
I think that you will find the lower 1st gear ratio makes up for the mid-level rear gear ratio. That is the way the original Titan is designed.
You may notice the 5th and 6th gear on the XD are both overdrive ratios.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts