Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the coming months I will finalize my decision to buy a Titan XD, something i've put off for a long time now. With that being said. With my memory of the range of what everyone here owned I'm very curious why you decided to buy the 2016+ Titan. Due to the varying backgrounds of owners here the responses will be very interesting.

Me...
I have an aging Tundra that's running well, no problems, and while its still good its time to let go.

·
1,484 Posts
I bought mine for the Nissan quality I am used to combined with the additional towing ease of the diesel. I didn't need a full 3/4 ton diesel, but wanted more than 1/2 ton gas. I have a very close friend at the dealership which helped in my decision too. I don't worry about the deal or treatment after. I know I will be taken care of.

That being said I had a 2014 Tundra Crew Max as a work vehicle. It was an awesome truck with PLENTY of power and I'm sure it would have towed like a beast. BUT...it got around 12-13 mpg in daily driving. I just can't handle mileage thay bad. My XD gets around 14-15 towing around town, and better than that not towing. Sure the maintenance is more, but I'll take it over poor MPG. Weven also just traded my wife's Armada with the 5.6 and it had the same mileage as the Tundra so gas XD was not something I was interested in.

·
204 Posts
I had a 2007 Tundra 4.7 liter with tow package SR5 single cab and 90k miles. Went to look at buying a travel trailer for retirement here in 2 years and my truck would not pull the ones i was wanting, so the look for the truck started. I wanted something bigger as in crew cab and wanted a nice smooth overall ride for all situations. After alot of research and driving the Titan XD is what i came up with and loving every minute of it. The half tons just wouldnt do what i wanted and the 3/4 and bigger, well too big at everything. Will have to wait a few years now to get that TT so no real weight behind it just my boat which is a 16ft flatbottom front stick shift with a 40hp motor on it and i have to remind myself that i'm even towing it as i cant tell its even hooked up to truck.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have always wanted a diesel truck but have never needed the capability of a 3/4 ton. I really wanted to buy the Ram Ecodiesel but its release kept getting delayed and I needed a truck for long winter commuting in 2013/2014 so I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC 4x4. When the Ecodiesel finally came out I couldn't justify the price to switch vehicles, especially since the Ram was missing the option for a rear diff locker (not even avail aftermarket).

I was intrigued when the reports came out that Nissan was going to build a tweener with the 5.0l V8 Cummins. I followed all the press releases and reviews, but ultimately decided that the Titan XD was too expensive when it first came out...too close in price to the 3/4 tons that offered a lot more power/work capacity. Then a few months ago I saw Nissan was offering great factory to dealer incentives and I took another look at the Titan XD.

While I would have preferred more power for the heavy curb weight, after a test drive I decided that even though I am a power junkie, I didn't have an issue with the 5.0l's power...especially since it just begs to idle down the road without being rushed. I discovered I valued being able to idle up a hill without a gear change more than the I valued off the line quickness. While I also could have received insane rebates on a new Ram 2500, in the end a similarly equipped Ram would still be at least 6k more expensive, wouldn't have a rear diff locker, and had no option for low gearing unless you purchased a 3500 dually. When I eventually put 37s on the Titan XD, the factory 3.916s should still be fine, while I would want to change the gears with 37s with the Ram 2500s 3.43s. I was also more confident in the future reliability of the Titan XD's Aisin transmission than the Ram 2500's 68RFE. I looked at the 2017 Ford F250 Powerstroke FX4, and while those were quick, they were much much more expensive than I could get a Titan XD.

All of this made the Titan XD Pro4X Cummins more and more attractive. It was 6k cheaper than I could get the Ram 2500 and I wouldn't have to mess with the axles for gearing and a locker...so in reality we're talking 10k cheaper than the Ram 2500 when considering future mods. So far in my eyes the only downsides are lack of aftermarket support and less power than the 3/4 tons.

For me the Titan XD was the right vehicle at the right price and I love it. Now would I buy one at close to MSRP...nope.

·
67 Posts
I had 2003 4.7l tundra and later I had 2008 5.7L Tundra. Tundra is always have better gas mileage than Titan. Since my 2008 is having 205k miles on it. I'm going to get another truck for back up. I had been waiting too long for Tundra diesel. All my friends have diesel and they always tell me how good they are and all other low maintenance for diesel. Since I got the 2016 Titan truck and after I ran in all stupid issues with the nissan dealers and the truck itself since the first day and I realize how much I will be paid for maintenance cost. For instance, replace brake fluid and transmission fluid every 20K miles. I never done that to any cars. If I can swap it, I would get the another Tundra. I don't know about your Tundra, but my had been pulling around 10K to 12K trailers with no problem at all. I have to keep the truck for a while. I had used the 2008 Tundra pull around 10k trailer to the jobsite and used my 2016 Titan XD pull the same trailer back to my storage location. I think Tundra is pull better than Titan. I don't know how good they had been put in the review and youtube, but that is my real experience. I had watch too much youtube before I desired to get the Titan. I will give it another year to try out and see whether I still like the new truck (Titan XD)

·
58 Posts
I bought a 2004 Titan SE in April of 2004. Twelve years and 213000 miles later everything still worked (except the CD player), there were no rattles or squeaks, and I had spent about four grand on repairs in all that time. It never left me on the side of the road and it was fun to drive.
But, at that mileage, I knew it was just a matter of time. So, off to the dealer I went.

Only have about 2000 miles on the new truck and still adjusting to the diesel but I haven't had any of the problems so many folks here on the forum seem to be having (knock on wood).

Hoping this truck does as well as its predecessor

·
43 Posts
I've had big Fords most of my life but the rusting out after 3 years finally tanked my love for them. Friends had GM and MoPar but most were constantly complaining about suspension and power so when I saw the Tundra Rock Warrior in 2012 I was first in line. Nice powerful truck with performance chip and tuned, Magnaflow exhaust and CAI but the heater was absolutely terrible so I traded it for a 2014 Rock Warrior, put in the same mods but same heater issue. I live in the cold north and remember riding in my Grandad's 1959 F-100 with no heater in the winter, screw that noise in the 2000's!

One day while riding my trike I had to stop at a redlight on the outskirts of town and saw this Titan w/Cummins sitting on a side hill, facing up the hill in all of it's beautisness next to the dealership. Test drive and an hour or so later they were taking my Tundra in as trade, that's all she wrote. Now that the issues are resolved I'm as happy as a clam at high tide! Excellent power, comfortable as all get out and it'll pull the water out of a stream without the beaver noticing.

·
1,644 Posts
It is unique and has a cummins in it, someday the aftermarket will catch up and this will be a fun truck to drive, til them its soild, comfortable, quiet, headlights are awesome, and nissan doesn't need to cut up the other manufacturers constantly to make sales

·
257 Posts
I've owned 4 Nissan vehicles - from the Altima to the Armada - and every one of them have been trouble free. Wife is still driving her 1998 Maxima with 140k miles on it. I needed a truck to tow my boat, and the Titan XD fit my needs perfectly. I don't need payload - I only use the truck bed for boat-related stuff (chairs, cushions, ice chest, etc.) but I did want to have a large towing capacity (not that I need it; my boat and trailer combined is only about 5,500 lbs) but I'm hoping this will be my last truck purchase and if/when I move up to a bigger boat I want the comfort to know it will tow it. It's got the ride of the Armada without the "Pain At The Pump" that came with it. On another thread I posted the problems that I've had with it (turbo recall, fuel filler recall, alignment, etc.) but none of that would preclude me from purchasing one again. My local dealer has 2.5 certified Cummins techs (3rd guy is waiting to complete his course in May), I got a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, so I can't complain one bit.

For those of you who want to check your VIN to see if it's on any recalls: https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/Home

EDIT: I can't complain one bit about the performance of the truck, however I was left with a SEVERE taste in my mouth yesterday while searching at the dealer for a new Nissan Rogue for the wife. I'm coming to learn that the term "DECEPTION IN ADVERTISING" in Japanese is "NISSAN".

Reactions: toberman72

·
105 Posts
I guess I am different than most in that I went with the gas XD. I really wanted a diesel but reliability was a concern as well as the overall cost of ownership. Diesel is always at least 10% more (sometimes 15-20%) than gasoline where I live. The EPA really did a number on diesels with the emissions. I had a diesel in high school and loved it but they new ones are far more complex now.

My main reason why I went with the XD is the overall package of payload and capacity compared to everything else out there. I don't need a full 3/4 but often need/want more than a half ton. I feel the quality is better than the other options out there too. I still have my old Nissan and use it as a commuter with 140k miles on it. It has been very reliable costing me nothing in repairs. I think everything is somewhat of a compromise to consumers.

I love my XD and hope it serves me well for the next 12-15 years.

Reactions: toberman72

·
16 Posts
Mainly because I have been obsessed with smaller liter diesel's since I owned a few down in Australia. The Titan is not quite the same, but its a start here in the USA. If Toyota were to bring over the Hilux or Landcruiser 70 series the Titan would be gone. Historical quality of brand and test drive is what made me trade in the Tundra.

·
705 Posts
I've had big Fords most of my life but the rusting out after 3 years finally tanked my love for them. Friends had GM and MoPar but most were constantly complaining about suspension and power so when I saw the Tundra Rock Warrior in 2012 I was first in line. Nice powerful truck with performance chip and tuned, Magnaflow exhaust and CAI but the heater was absolutely terrible so I traded it for a 2014 Rock Warrior, put in the same mods but same heater issue. I live in the cold north and remember riding in my Grandad's 1959 F-100 with no heater in the winter, screw that noise in the 2000's!

One day while riding my trike I had to stop at a redlight on the outskirts of town and saw this Titan w/Cummins sitting on a side hill, facing up the hill in all of it's beautisness next to the dealership. Test drive and an hour or so later they were taking my Tundra in as trade, that's all she wrote. Now that the issues are resolved I'm as happy as a clam at high tide! Excellent power, comfortable as all get out and it'll pull the water out of a stream without the beaver noticing.

Toberman, you still in the Titan? Thought you were in buy back proceedings?

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2018 Titan XD SV 4x4, 5.0 Cummings, Midnight
29 Posts
18 years ago wife And I were going RVing,. Bought a truck and was days away from purchasing a trailer. Then a life event occured and we postponed. Well, we decided to try it again and I needed a truck. Saw a used 2018 XD 5.0, 4x4 Midnight Edition at a great starting price. Test drove it and that was it for the wife and I. In hindsight, I wish I had known a bit more about payload and how it was effective by towing a trailer, I might have gotten a gasser! L. We had decided to get a 27-29ft trailer, no bigger. Well, that grew to 32 ft trailer and sleeps 8. (6 grandkids) Lol. Truck will easily pull it. My wife claims the truck feels like it's floating on the road...she loves it as I do. It will fit our needs! We have had a lot of nissans. 2 Altimas, 2 Sentra's, Rouge (traded it in for the XD) and A Pathfinder (Great traveling SUV). Still have one of the Sentra's along with XD and PF.

·
266 Posts
I bought mine for 2 reasons:
1) NIssan quality would mean I'd have a vehicle that would stay in 1 piece, inside and out
2) Cummins engine shoud mean 500K without too much effort/expenditure.

So, how did that turn out?
As for (1), turns out "bumper to bumper" must mean something else to these folks
and then there's #2... as in what my 6-year old calls "oh, poop"! Who would've thought that Cummins would allow/promulgate such a travesty as the ISV engine? Who would've thought they would take a balance-sheet charge of $34M to get out of it? Who would've thought we'd be waiting weeks/months for parts (yes, yes, pandemic, I get it)...
To summarize, I am extremely disappointed with Nissan and Cummins. Paradoxically, I love my '17 PR 5,0...

·
98 Posts
“2016 Nissan TITAN XD shoulder of giants commercial”

Owned an 03 2500 4x4 5.9 California addition Cummins with the 47re transmission. I absolutely loved that truck, especially after putting a tune on it. Very reliable and towed really good. Sold it at 300k miles because it started having major issues (because I daily drove it hard on a +125 tune all the time) Sold it to pay cash for my wife’s 14 GMC Acadia Denali.

Saw this commercial and knew the truck and 5.0 Cummins had great potential. It literally feels the same as my 5.9 Cummins but as if it was new and just made me love it that much more. Also the 5.0 tows better. I’m at 83k miles on it now without any major issues. Tbh all vehicles now have some sort of issues. I’m still proud to own the 5.0 Cummins and one day, I know it’ll be a well sot after engine like the other JDM cars.

·
453 Posts
5 Nissans (ok, one was technically a Datsun) over 30 years, none of which needed anything beyond regular maintenance. My '06 Titan was one of those and after 11 years of carefree service towing/hauling all over AK we didn't have any concerns trading it for number 6 - our XD. We needed a hauling/towing vehicle and it's been better than we could have hoped for. And so far the XD is in the same group as the others as far as being carefree (knock on wood).

In that same time period we've also had Toyota, Honda, Ford and Chrysler. Honda is the only one we'd buy again. Toyota probably. Ford and Chrysler, no thanks.

·
75 Posts
Was looking at a gas truck, found this 2016 XD PR diesel and loved it.
Total impulse buy.

Reactions: Lowgdawg

·
10 Posts
Was looking at a gas truck, found this 2016 XD PR diesel and loved it.
Total impulse buy.
congrats on the truck, how is it working out so far ? I am looking to buy a truck in the next month or so..... when i find the right one . can't decide on best course for me, gas or diesel. i imagine either one would serve me well. little question mark on the support in a couple of years for the diesel though ? you didnt let that deter you, are you still happy with it a few weeks into ownership ?

·
75 Posts
congrats on the truck, how is it working out so far ? I am looking to buy a truck in the next month or so..... when i find the right one . can't decide on best course for me, gas or diesel. i imagine either one would serve me well. little question mark on the support in a couple of years for the diesel though ? you didnt let that deter you, are you still happy with it a few weeks into ownership ?
I've had the truck for over a year and am very happy with it. I tow a 30ft 5th wheel toyhauler and it tows great. The tranny shifts a little weird when its cold and unloaded, but warmed up and with a load it works perfectly. I am a little concerned about the diesel support, but have not had any major problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts