Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
10 Posts
oh wow, i misread the post, it seemed to indicate at the top ( date of post, ) your post was from 28 days ago? LOL, so i thought this was very recent . well, a full year of ownership is an even better indication of how it worked out anyway !!! I am so wanting to get the diesel, but some of the comments about the regeneration cycles stinking inside the cab , etc, etc, can be very dissuasive . I have heard some semi-horror stories about any of the modern, high tech diesels even the Ford version...... how expensive repairs can be with the fuel/injection system. but i like the sound and torque of a diesel and I am not looking for a hot rod anyway. so having said all of that, i would probably be happy with either as long as i get one which doesnt seem to have ongoing issues............. it may come down to finding the right color, equipment, and pricing on a given truck being the deciding factor for which one I pick ultimately. I dont think either will be a bad choice for me, i do think the diesel support is a bit of a question mark- but hey, you got to live on the edge a little every now and again- right ? :) Hope you continue to have great service with your truck, travel safe. Champ

·
75 Posts
oh wow, i misread the post, it seemed to indicate at the top ( date of post, ) your post was from 28 days ago? LOL, so i thought this was very recent . well, a full year of ownership is an even better indication of how it worked out anyway !!! I am so wanting to get the diesel, but some of the comments about the regeneration cycles stinking inside the cab , etc, etc, can be very dissuasive . I have heard some semi-horror stories about any of the modern, high tech diesels even the Ford version...... how expensive repairs can be with the fuel/injection system. but i like the sound and torque of a diesel and I am not looking for a hot rod anyway. so having said all of that, i would probably be happy with either as long as i get one which doesnt seem to have ongoing issues............. it may come down to finding the right color, equipment, and pricing on a given truck being the deciding factor for which one I pick ultimately. I dont think either will be a bad choice for me, i do think the diesel support is a bit of a question mark- but hey, you got to live on the edge a little every now and again- right ? :) Hope you continue to have great service with your truck, travel safe. Champ
I haven't really researched it, but it seems that most of the problems fall upon owners that have modified their trucks. Deletes and tunes seem to be the bane of this truck (maybe all diesels) if they are not completely absolutely perfectly. Mine is bone stock, about 50,000 miles (30,000 are mine), and it has been trouble free. I don't hotrod it, but I am not afraid to put it to use.
The regen stinks outside the truck, it smells kinda like burned plastic, but I never smell it inside.

Reactions: AKTitanXD

·
98 Posts
I haven't really researched it, but it seems that most of the problems fall upon owners that have modified their trucks. Deletes and tunes seem to be the bane of this truck (maybe all diesels) if they are not completely absolutely perfectly. Mine is bone stock, about 50,000 miles (30,000 are mine), and it has been trouble free. I don't hotrod it, but I am not afraid to put it to use.
The regen stinks outside the truck, it smells kinda like burned plastic, but I never smell it inside.
I’d have to disagree with the delete and tune comment. The guys breaking them typically have them on +140hp (320ish torque) setting plus are doing burn outs, overloading, and in general being very abusive to the truck. You put that kind of extra horsepower and torque to literally any vehicle without internal engine modifications/ parts (which the 5.0 Cummins doesn’t really have yet, unfortunately) you WILL break stuff. The glorious 5.9 Cummins, just adding a tune will blow the transmission. 6.0 Powerstroke, adding a tune will blow head gaskets. Any Duramax, fueling issues. Also the guys breaking cranks have been a mix between deleted and not deleted. There was just a manufacturing flaw in cranks on a few(maybe more then a few) trucks. My truck has been on a diet on +125hp tune since 70k miles (at 87k now) with me abusing it before, and after. I will say when I tow, I put it to stock hp rating.

P.S. Just turn on the cab recirculating. Won’t have that smell during regen. Even if stationary.

·
10 Posts
I’d have to disagree with the delete and tune comment. The guys breaking them typically have them on +140hp (320ish torque) setting plus are doing burn outs, overloading, and in general being very abusive to the truck. You put that kind of extra horsepower and torque to literally any vehicle without internal engine modifications/ parts (which the 5.0 Cummins doesn’t really have yet, unfortunately) you WILL break stuff. The glorious 5.9 Cummins, just adding a tune will blow the transmission. 6.0 Powerstroke, adding a tune will blow head gaskets. Any Duramax, fueling issues. Also the guys breaking cranks have been a mix between deleted and not deleted. There was just a manufacturing flaw in cranks on a few(maybe more then a few) trucks. My truck has been on a diet on +125hp tune since 70k miles (at 87k now) with me abusing it before, and after. I will say when I tow, I put it to stock hp rating.

P.S. Just turn on the cab recirculating. Won’t have that smell during regen. Even if stationary.
so would i be stupid to buy the diesel right now ? I seem to read that the gas engine feels peppier under normal driving than does the diesel, although the diesel undoubtedly has to have the upper hand when towing or loaded due to the difference in torque available ? or did i interpret certain comments i've read incorrectly. I currently drive a Toureg diesel and I have enjoyed it. has a little turbo lag, but man when it spools up, it feels good :) .

·
454 Posts
so would i be stupid to buy the diesel right now ? I seem to read that the gas engine feels peppier under normal driving than does the diesel, although the diesel undoubtedly has to have the upper hand when towing or loaded due to the difference in torque available ? or did i interpret certain comments i've read incorrectly. I currently drive a Toureg diesel and I have enjoyed it. has a little turbo lag, but man when it spools up, it feels good :) .
With a 3+ ton truck, I don't think the words "peppy", "quick" or "nimble" are anywhere in the marketing materials. :ROFLMAO:
Now the 1st gen Titan was "peppy". It was crazy how easy it was to burn rubber unintentionally.

The XD diesel likes to be worked and worked hard. If you can't work it regularly, I'd go with the gasser. It'll still tow great, you'll just have to listen to higher RPMs on inclines and accept lower MPGs.

·
10 Posts
With a 3+ ton truck, I don't think the words "peppy", "quick" or "nimble" are anywhere in the marketing materials. :ROFLMAO:
Now the 1st gen Titan was "peppy". It was crazy how easy it was to burn rubber unintentionally.

The XD diesel likes to be worked and worked hard. If you can't work it regularly, I'd go with the gasser. It'll still tow great, you'll just have to listen to higher RPMs on inclines and accept lower MPGs.
Well, Yeah, i get that but I did own an F250 extended cab 4WD with the 6.7 ( i think) 2012 year model, and it was pretty peppy....... but it rode stiffer than a Conestoga Wagon and I literally hated it due to the ride. i kept it less than a year, and traded it for a 2012 Armada 4WD Platinum that I drove for about 7 years. Probably should still have it, but just got ready to drive something different, you know how it goes. I am not expecting hot rod, but neither do i want a slug. :) I have driven both the gas and the diesel XD's now, and I probably would say that the gasser does seem to "feel" slightly quicker than the diesel on the test drives i took-relatively speaking and unloaded...... I will likely tow a TT a few times a year, so i dont know that me working the truck hard on a frequent basis would ever happen.

·
98 Posts
I came from an 03 5.9 Cummins to this 5.0 Cummins. 87k miles later and I can say it was the best decision I could’ve made.

I’ve owned diesels because I like the performance side of it aka rolling coal and awesome turbo/exhaust sounds from a 5in exhaust. That’s why I went with diesel. You’ll have to figure out what suits your needs/wants.

·
454 Posts
Well, Yeah, i get that but I did own an F250 extended cab 4WD with the 6.7 ( i think) 2012 year model, and it was pretty peppy....... but it rode stiffer than a Conestoga Wagon and I literally hated it due to the ride. i kept it less than a year, and traded it for a 2012 Armada 4WD Platinum that I drove for about 7 years. Probably should still have it, but just got ready to drive something different, you know how it goes. I am not expecting hot rod, but neither do i want a slug. :) I have driven both the gas and the diesel XD's now, and I probably would say that the gasser does seem to "feel" slightly quicker than the diesel on the test drives i took-relatively speaking and unloaded...... I will likely tow a TT a few times a year, so i dont know that me working the truck hard on a frequent basis would ever happen.
The comfort and ride of the XD is what suprised us the most. The seats are like sitting on pillows and we prefer the suspension's softer ride over our 1st gen Titan which was rather stiff.

I have a much more simplistic view towards vehicles. To me, they're nothing more than tools to get me and my equipment from one place to another. So I've never had the urge to "drive something different". Like any tool, I use it until it can no longer perform it's job then I replace it. Which is why I hang on to my vehicles a loooooong time before replacing them.

When buying a truck, I've never had "peppy", "quick" or "nimble" as part of the selection process. If I wanted those things I wouldn't have bought a truck because peppy and hauling are diametrically opposed in trucks. If it's peppy it probably doesn't haul as well as it could. And if it hauls the way it's supposed to, it's probably not peppy. Hauling, towing, stability, realiability and safety are my primary purchase criteria when truck shopping. And the XD diesel was a perfect match.

I have to admit, discussing your situation brought back wonderful memories of the muscle cars we drove in high school back in the 70's. Engines so powerful (and thirsty!!) they pushed you back into your seat when the 4 barrel kicked in. :)

It sounds like your needs are definitely geared more towards the gasser XD. But, either way, I don't think you'll regret it.

·
10 Posts
The comfort and ride of the XD is what suprised us the most. The seats are like sitting on pillows and we prefer the suspension's softer ride over our 1st gen Titan which was rather stiff.

I have a much more simplistic view towards vehicles. To me, they're nothing more than tools to get me and my equipment from one place to another. So I've never had the urge to "drive something different". Like any tool, I use it until it can no longer perform it's job then I replace it. Which is why I hang on to my vehicles a loooooong time before replacing them.

When buying a truck, I've never had "peppy", "quick" or "nimble" as part of the selection process. If I wanted those things I wouldn't have bought a truck because peppy and hauling are diametrically opposed in trucks. If it's peppy it probably doesn't haul as well as it could. And if it hauls the way it's supposed to, it's probably not peppy. Hauling, towing, stability, realiability and safety are my primary purchase criteria when truck shopping. And the XD diesel was a perfect match.

I have to admit, discussing your situation brought back wonderful memories of the muscle cars we drove in high school back in the 70's. Engines so powerful (and thirsty!!) they pushed you back into your seat when the 4 barrel kicked in. :)

It sounds like your needs are definitely geared more towards the gasser XD. But, either way, I don't think you'll regret it.
You are probably right on me probably being ok either way, i just love to torture myself with decisions...apparently!
...and i over think everything these days........
---- going back historically......... My first truck ( well i claimed it anyway) was a 1965 Chevy 1/2T with a 327 engine that had been dropped in replacing the stock 6 cyl. it came with. it was 9 or 10 years old already when my folks bought it, and had a 3 speed conversion to floor shifter, and I think it was a single exhaust with a glass-pack muffler that sounded really good...... LOL.... it was pretty bad ass for a 15 year old kid like me, they paid 700$ for it in 1974/75 ......it had manual steering, no A/C, No power nothing, just a heavy truck made from real steel, and it hauled a** ! and i never towed anything behind it that i can remember. LOL.

·
454 Posts
The first vehicle I ever drove was an old farm truck with 3 on the tree. I think I was around 8yo (it was a registered farm truck so legal for an 8yo to drive). It was slow as molasses!!! But you could hook up two fully loaded hay bale trailers and you didn't even realize they were back there. Just put it in first, release the clutch and it would start crawling. No gas pedal needed until you got to an incline. :)

·
367 Posts
With a 3+ ton truck, I don't think the words "peppy", "quick" or "nimble" are anywhere in the marketing materials.
Yes, I'd agree...in stock form it is not real peppy at all. But still a nice ride. It won't get up and go like the Touareg for sure.

CCRyder, was the PR you drove a diesel? If not try it out first I would say. All depends upon your frame of reference I guess. My former truck was a 91 D250 Dodge with the 160HP 5.9. So yes, the Titan moves out better. But hey, I never had any problems with the pep on the stock 5.9 so my expectations were low...ha....

·
10 Posts
Yes, I'd agree...in stock form it is not real peppy at all. But still a nice ride. It won't get up and go like the Touareg for sure.

CCRyder, was the PR you drove a diesel? If not try it out first I would say. All depends upon your frame of reference I guess. My former truck was a 91 D250 Dodge with the 160HP 5.9. So yes, the Titan moves out better. But hey, I never had any problems with the pep on the stock 5.9 so my expectations were low...ha....
The PR i drove was the gasser, i drove an ‘18 SL that was a diesel and then i drove another SL here in Denver this week that was a diesel also . I need to go back and drive the one here in Denver tomorrow and get out on the freeway for about 20 minutes or so just to see what it feels like at highway speed. I only drove it on a local route the salesman wanted to do, but it was 5:30 in the evening so not a great time to try to be trying a demo anyway….LOL… what i need to do is figure out a way to keep my VW for my daily driver and just get the dang truck and use it when i need to use it. I love that VW, best all around daily use car I’ve ever owned….. , and I have owned many over the past 40 years. Trucks are trucks, they have their own character and their special applications for work and recreation etc….. the VW tows my MC trailer with 2 street bikes like a champ, but it isnt stout enough to pull the TT i want to get. 2 different vehicles, different strengths……. I was going to trade the VW in on a truck but maybe i just dig into the piggy bank and front a cash down payment and hang on to the SUV for a while……. Can always sell it later if it gets to where i just prefer rolling in the truck day to day…….. :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts