Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on the fence about this, having owned 3 HDs over the years (00 F250 7.3, 04-1/2 2500 5.9 and 08 3500 6.7). Each were more than I needed , which was a comfort when towing. However, we're starting to get away from the fifth wheel market, instead looking at an 8500 GTWR TT, and the XD can definitely handle it.

However, it not quite Goldilocks just yet:

First, I didn't like the lack of (initial) bed length option; after owning an 8'bed, I don't want a shorter bed again.

Second, the lack of fuel capacity. I managed to modify the stock tank on my 08, which used to take forever to fill, and never seemed to give me anywhere near the claimed 35 gallons; after mod I could fit 44 gallons in a hurry. Nice not having to stop for fuel for 1,000 miles unloaded.

Third is the ridiculously low bed capacity. As the TFL vid showed, you can't really use the gooseneck and carry passengers. Seriously? The truck can pull like a 3/4 but with the cargo capacity of a Ram ED? Why have the hitch option at all? Considering who this truck is marketed to, I believe the hitch is a marketing ploy. Anyone who actually uses a gooseneck is pulling 2x - 3x what this truck is rated at.

Fourth are the lack of certain work related options in a truck that costs this much. No power folding or extending mirrors in any trim, no built in bed access assist, no 3rd light camera for gooseneck hookup assistance, no automatic leveling rear suspension. Considering how long it took to develop the truck, and how long the competition has had some of these features, they missed the ball on at least some of these.

Fifth is fuel economy. From experience, you can expect better mileage from an unloaded 6.7 (22 on the road, 18 overall), and I had a quad long bed 4x4 - a 7,100# brick with ATs. Current owners of undeleted trucks are registering similar numbers.

Finally, the price. As stated elsewhere, you can buy a similar trim 3/4 or 1 ton for not much more money, and have much more capability. I priced a Laramie Ram 3500 dually for about $2500 more than an SL.

The aftermarket will most likely step up in fuel and cargo capacity; tank options and bags/Timbrens. The bed possibly one of the companies that stretch the Mega, once Nissan starts offering the 8' bed option with other configurations; they've done it with the Tundra CrewMax for years, as well.

·
119 Posts
You're on the fence about this decision? Sounds like all the things you want in a truck ain't on this one! I've owned nothing but Dodge 5.9L's the past 15 years. While the engine was amazing (the first 2 went past 250K) and still going strong when I sold them, that great engine was still surrounded by Dodge plastic which deteriorated and rattled till I couldn't take it anymore (2 dash covers in both the first two). The current one (05) doesn't even have 100K on the odo yet, and it does have my first short bed, which rides like a rock unloaded, but it still pulls everything I have with ease and has no DPF. TitanXD....???? I'm looking for a little more comfort, comparable mileage (after a delete/tune), a more quality built interior and something more than the 3.0L offerings out there to pull with. I don't tow as often to need power mirrors, the LED bed lights would seem to light the installed hidden fifth wheel ball enough, and the back up camera should make trailer hitch backing easier. As far as bed/weight capacity, it's just two of us and a dog for under 500 lbs, and from the looks of this frame and axle/suspension setup, they've underestimated that capacity because they know most of us will exceed it at some point. I'm also getting old enough that the fuel capacity usually exceeds my capacity to sit for that long! In fact, I just removed the 18 gal extra bed tank in my current Dodge because I just wasn't using it! I guess I'm on the fence as well, owning a paid for truck, but the prospect of a Cummins in a shiny new Nissan body with better plastic is appealing....but I can also wait till the $8-10K off MSRP deals start, or even better: the dealer invoice price shows up and you deal UP from THAT! Good luck on your decision, but remember it's still way too early to judge this truck, our test drivers are out there and reporting back all the time here...

·
363 Posts
I'm on the fence about this, having owned 3 HDs over the years (00 F250 7.3, 04-1/2 2500 5.9 and 08 3500 6.7). Each were more than I needed , which was a comfort when towing. However, we're starting to get away from the fifth wheel market, instead looking at an 8500 GTWR TT, and the XD can definitely handle it.

First, I didn't like the lack of (initial) bed length option; after owning an 8'bed, I don't want a shorter bed again.

Second, the lack of fuel capacity. I managed to modify the stock tank on my 08, which used to take forever to fill, and never seemed to give me anywhere near the claimed 35 gallons; after mod I could fit 44 gallons in a hurry. Nice not having to stop for fuel for 1,000 miles unloaded.

Third is the ridiculously low bed capacity. As the TFL vid showed, you can't really use the gooseneck and carry passengers. Seriously? The truck can pull like a 3/4 but with the cargo capacity of a Ram ED? Why have the hitch option at all? Considering who this truck is marketed to, I believe the hitch is a marketing ploy. Anyone who actually uses a gooseneck is pulling 2x - 3x what this truck is rated at.

Fourth are the lack of certain work related options in a truck that costs this much. No power folding or extending mirrors in any trim, no built in bed access assist, no 3rd light camera for gooseneck hookup assistance, no automatic leveling rear suspension. Considering how long it took to develop the truck, and how long the competition has had some of these features, they missed the ball on at least some of these.

Fifth is fuel economy. From experience, you can expect better mileage from an unloaded 6.7 (22 on the road, 18 overall), and I had a quad long bed 4x4 - a 7,100# brick with ATs. Current owners of undeleted trucks are registering similar numbers.

Finally, the price. As stated elsewhere, you can buy a similar trim 3/4 or 1 ton for not much more money, and have much more capability. I priced a Laramie Ram 3500 dually for about $2500 more than an SL.

The aftermarket will most likely step up in fuel and cargo capacity; tank options and bags/Timbrens. The bed possibly one of the companies that stretch the Mega, once Nissan starts offering the 8' bed option with other configurations; they've done it with the Tundra CrewMax for years, as well.
Add to that you'd be buying a first year product from a manufacture that's new to the segment. No way around it, there's gonna be some growing pains.

·
404 Posts
For me it was a toss up between a GMC Denali 2500 Diesel or the TITAN XD. I've always loved the Denali but I was let down by GM's lack of technology. Heck, they've had push button ignition since 2006 Corvette, yet their $65k truck still utilizes a key. Also, the plastics inside felt cheap and the rear seat didn't seam to have as much leg room. Also, the 2015 Denali has air conditioned seats, whereas their 2016 are just "ventilated". So, they're moving backwards there.

So I ultimately went with the TITAN XD. I've owned a 2004 Titan, 2008.5 Titan, 2009 370Z, 2010 370Z, and we still have a Pathfinder. So choosing another Nissan was easy. I've also gone to ZDayZ and Nismo Performance Academy where I got to race around in GTR's on the Miami-Homestead speedway all day long.

However, I do wish I had held off and waited another 6-12 months to see if GMC bumped up the technology inside because I do regret paying about the same amount for a lesser truck when you're comparing engine, payload, aftermarket, etc. I think the Denali looks killer but the TITAN XD also looks very good too. The Titan XD definitely rides better, theres no way around it. It feels more like a 1/2 while driving so it's very comfortable, but I do carry a good amount of regret. I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on a 2015/2016 Denali, but I regret not waiting to see their 2017 model.

I'm a Construction Manager and I build new homes so a lot of my day is spent inside my truck and driving a small distance from home to home. I tow a 6800 pound trailer like every 4-6 months so both trucks would do the job just fine.

·
5 Posts
I was on the fence about an F250 Lariat Powerstorke or the Titan XD Cummins. I am definitely the mid range customer, I do not tow extreme amounts, but I do travel a lot of miles (45k this past year) and my 2015 GMC sierra 1500 was not holding up, and the customer service left me even more nervous of the years to come. I drove several trucks and compared, and the 250 was more truck with less mpg than I really need. My fiancé, 2 daughters and I show and breed dogs and travel a lot of miles, the XD fit exactly what I need. More size than and capabilities than 1500, longevity of the Cummins. I love my XD.

·
507 Posts

Seems like you need to go to a bigger truck, as nothing about the XD concept works for you.
It however seems just perfect for me, because I am not anal about weight limits for a truck built like the Titan, as it is typical derated, and under rated Nissan product, and all I want to pull is a 25-30 foot travel trailer, which will do fine with me, and my wife, and 3 great Danes, or whatever dog I have
I could happily drive an S model with little issue though.
For me the concept works perfect...For you, it seems not so much.
It is hard to beat Nissan history of quality.
As for the Big 2, and the fiat brand..... quality and longevity can sometimes be a low bar step over.

A heavy duty Aisan tranny, cummins engine, heavey duty rear end.. There is nothing about the truck mechanically and structurally that makes it a tweener, other than the company spec..
It still does as much, or more as 3/4 or 1 ton used to do, before the excess HP and torque wars between the big 2 and Fiat/Ram.
Those trucks did just fine.
Finding a good price and getting a good deal is all I am waiting for... I am waiting on the August rebate, clearance deals.

·
712 Posts
Easy decision for you.
Go buy a different truck.

I bought mine because I looked at it, drove it, and liked it.

Pretty simple.

It'll do anything I need it to do. If it doesn't I'll buy something different.

But it won't be anything from the Big 3.

·
348 Posts
I chose the XD because of the satisfaction and durability of my previous three Nissan trucks. 86.5 Hardbody 4x4, 90 Hardbody Xtra cab 4x4, and a 04 Titan CC 2wd. Had over 25 pretty much trouble free years, over 350,000 abused miles with no major malfunctions or issues. Now throw in a 2000 Chevy 2500 CC camper special in between the 90 and 04. Worn out in 65,000 miles. Ball joints at 48k, everything started at 37,000 miles, just out of warranty. I needed a truck with a 6.5 ft bed and would handle a 10,000 lb trailer, COMFORTABLY and CONFIDENTLY. I would rather have a truck that is under rated and performs versus one over rated and squirelly. Not to mention the ride, Rockford Fosgate system and the seats.

·
224 Posts

Scorpy's back...

MB

·
263 Posts
why I chose the XD

A longer story--

Briefly considered a RAM 2500 but then homed in on the Powerstroke & XD. One of the big reservations I had was buying any modern day diesel requiring an additional fluid (DEF) & with a DPF and associated regen issues. Ford was having troubles since 2011 with some of the trucks developing shuddering during regen that in some cases disabled the truck.

The regen problem started appearing in the 6.7L in 2011 and continues through the 2016 model year. Repeated visits to the dealer, reflashing fuel delivery, shifting to a lower gear to eliminate the shuddering all pointed to band aid responses (for years) to address the issue. For that entire date range of trucks a TSB would eventually be issued each year or so to replace the driver's side exhaust valves to cure it. To this day, it is not certain whether Ford has finally cured the issue for good (in the 2017s). Time will tell. It should never have gone on this long. More on that issue can be found on the web along with the TSBs for replacing the valves.

Although the issue affected only a small number of trucks for each model year, my luck of the draw would hand me one of those affected. My past experience owning a 99.5 Powerstroke also turned me off of the Ford dealer network. Early on, I decided they would never touch my truck again and became very good at maintaining, diagnosing & fixing it or getting it fixed right. Scratch the Ford.

I believe I could have bought more truck for the same or maybe even less money than the XD by buying the Ford. I don't know that I will need a goosneck hitch as standard equipment. I believe Ford has higher production efficiencies due to their economies of scale for similarly equipped vehicles and I have been very successful negotiating new vehicle deals over the years.

As strong as the 6.7L engine (mfd by Ford) is otherwise reported to be, the thought of a proven Aisin transmission and the Cummins legacy was very hard to discount. Joining this forum gave me insight to the attention Nissan was paying to early XD adopters' issues and persuaded me that Nissan was probably going to be a better way to go if problems were experienced.

Many hours with the XD on test drives convinced me. Every now and then I wonder what I would have gotten had I decided on a 2016 Ford. On paper and on the road, the XD is more capable than my ol' stock Powerstroke. While holding less of a candle to a 2016 ¾ ton, the XD does everything I need it to and feels like much more truck than the 99.5.

Another way to look at this is the $$$$ I had to put into the 99.5 to bring it up to what the XD does right out of the gate. Notwithstanding the emissions controls (or lack thereof in 2000), what I paid for the XD in 2016 dollars after negotiations was less than what I paid for the Ford in 2000 and I have a better truck with more features, superior comfort and with none of the issues I had with the Ford. I have a nit pick with the Pro4X's non leather seat material offering and few other things, but nothing that tells me I made a big mistake...yet! If the 5yr/100k mile warranty gets retro'd to the 2016s, so much the better!

Reactions: Itsaboutime

·
1,300 Posts
And there you have it folks. His hot wife and his red truck. LOL

I bought my XD because it has a Cummins and it's not from the big 3. The big 3 are not that good, they cut too many corners on them now. It's too bad.

Everything falls apart around the Cummins in the Dodge. Front ends are bad the ride like every other truck is... horrible.

Chevys are the same as a dodge the Isuzu is great, but everything else is really cheap and cost cutting is very easy to spot in them cheap cheap.

Fords are just junk to begin with, they rattle and gaps in the interior is pathetic, they just build really sh*tty vehicles in all segments. They still have emission issues still there not fixed yet...The wife just got a new work 2016 explorer they took her 15 F150 (I'm glad to see that gone) and my god that thing is a complete piece of sh*t. Worse than the f150..Seats are brutal, windows shudder every time you roll em down and up, gutless I can go on but my fingers are tired of typing. Ford sucks.

·
171 Posts
My issue with Ford and why I didn't go the F250 route honestly is the transmission and vehicle fires. There isn't a single story I can think of that doesn't involve one or both on a Ford vehicle and I just can't bring myself to buy one. Plus one of the plucky things I like about the XD is that is truly is a Frankentruck of all the best parts money can buy. Aisin is about as good as anyone can hope for in a truck, the axles are great, shocks on the Pro4X are equally as good although I wish they were Fox and of course the Cummins.

Minor teething aside this truck has the potential to be as good as the old hardbody's were in the sense that as a light duty truck this thing is WAY over-engineered. It does not have on paper the same kind of pedigree however body issues aside this thing ought to be indestructible if taken care of properly.

·
712 Posts
I still have a 1984 Nissan/Datsun 720 in the garage waiting for me to restore it.
It's a 2wd King Cab and I think when it's done I may have it riding on air bags. Just because.

·
1,979 Posts
My issue with Ford and why I didn't go the F250 route honestly is the transmission and vehicle fires. There isn't a single story I can think of that doesn't involve one or both on a Ford vehicle and I just can't bring myself to buy one. Plus one of the plucky things I like about the XD is that is truly is a Frankentruck of all the best parts money can buy. Aisin is about as good as anyone can hope for in a truck, the axles are great, shocks on the Pro4X are equally as good although I wish they were Fox and of course the Cummins.

Minor teething aside this truck has the potential to be as good as the old hardbody's were in the sense that as a light duty truck this thing is WAY over-engineered. It does not have on paper the same kind of pedigree however body issues aside this thing ought to be indestructible if taken care of properly.
I guess it's been a long time since you have read up on Ford trucks. They don't spontaneously combust & ford actually makes a pretty solid tranny these days.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts