Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to why people here chose Nissan or are considering Nissan, specifically the Titan? I'll share my experience first.

About 2011 I was in the market for a new (to me) truck. I had a 4,000lbs camper I was pulling with my '95 Ford Bronco (351w). I bought the Bronco cash and was enjoying having zero car payments. The Bronco was my DD and pulled the camper fine, until the one day it didn't. Although it ended up being a fuel issue (fuel pump was going out when hot), the wife said she wouldn't go on anymore trips with the Bronco as our tow vehicle. So I took that as my chance to get a new truck (she's an accountant and I have to jump at these opportunities!).

I have always been a bit partial to Ford, so to the local dealer I went. I wasn't looking to buy new, but slightly used. Less than 30k miles,CC, and I wanted the niceties. I was looking at probably the Lariat trim levels. Problem was, the Ford dealership wasn't coming off of these trucks in my price range (as far below $30k as possible). I ended up at the Nissan dealer looking to see if maybe they had a used f150 when I found an '09 Titan loaded with less than 12k miles on the clock. The Titan was a lease truck that was basically new. It had every option except DVD/Nav, 4WD, and power mirrors. ALL of this AND it was substantially cheaper than the f150 (around $25k IIRC).

Fast forward to now, my experience with my Titan was quite good but like most of us, I wanted to trade up. A bigger camper is in my future (now have kids) and the XD sounded like a good replacement. Sold my '09 Titan, paid off my wife's car, and I currently driver her former Honda. I'm looking forward to the right time to get that new truck and am waiting to see if the XD (diesel or gasser) is the right truck for me.

·
58 Posts
In 2004 my wife and I bought a 31' Airstream. I needed a tow vehicle so we drove all of the 1/2 tons that were rated to tow 8600#. Really liked the Titan and got a great deal.

Almost 12 years and 200,000 miles later I can honestly say it was the best vehicle purchase of my life. It has never failed me, everything still works, there isn't a spot of rust on it (although the clear coat is shot on the hood). I did upgrade the brakes. Like everyone else I had to replace the exhaust manifolds at around 100k miles. All told, about four grand in repairs/upgrades over 12 years.

Not a squeak, not a rattle.

Next fall, once the gas version is available, I will probably buy an XD. It will be hard as my old Titan runs so well and has been paid off for 9 years but, at 62, a shiny new XD is likely to be the last one I ever need to buy so why not?

I have owned Fords, Chevy/GMC, Volkswagen, Mazda and an MG. none of them held up like my Titan.

Mike

·
14 Posts
Every American branded car we've owned, or my family owned, turned into a POS within a few years. Talking Chevy, Plymouth, Ford. I've had one Toyota pickup, and car, and several Nissan cars and trucks over the years. Both brands have been trouble free. Normal maintenance related items, but nothing else. We currently have an '02 Maxima and a '12 Frontier. Both running very well. So, of course I'm very interested in the Titan (XD or otherwise) for when it comes time when we buy a TT.

·
608 Posts
I'm a fan of the in between size that Nissan is going for. Everyone has an F-150 and I refuse to own the most popular vehicle in North America.

·
45 Posts
Was on a short timeline and the other dealerships around me, with the exception of ford, failed to get me into a truck to test drive, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, didn't look at a Tundra though I am a Yota fan I couldn't justify their gas mileage and cost. I test drove the ecoboost and their V8. Those tricks got some pep the park assist is nice and they have cameras everywhere! Only thing they didn't have were sensors on the front and my wife isn't parking my truck without sensors, ****, the thing was sketchy for me to park. Titan xd feels like a 3/4, I wanted a diesel, the push start is nice, i liked the interior and layout better on the XD over the F150 and nobody else showed me a diesel. 3 days to shop and ended up with the Titan. Really happy I did

·
45 Posts
Better customer service but if that's how a business operates to a potential client than I don't want anything to do with them. First impressions are critical. Most the salesman I talked to, even one at another Nissan dealership, didn't know much about their trucks. Had a guy tell me there wasn't such a thing as a XD Pro4X after I told him I just test drove one. Test driving was my deciding factor. On paper the Eco diesel was my top choice because I wanted a diesel for my own personal reasons, the rambox looked helpful and the fuel economy reviews were better than any other truck I'd researched. The Titan was bigger than the f150 and the difference was literally the cost of a diesel over a gas engine ~8k. XLT 43 and change Titan 50 and change. The Titan fits me and what I want it for. I don't plan on hooking it up to another truck to measure the balls and I don't tow construction equipment. I plan on towing a good size boat, takr long road trips with the fam to go backpacking and move an occasional loaded bed full of home improvement items.
This truck will, with any luck, last me a long time and I will enjoy it for as long as I can.
Crunch numbers and read reviews but like I told my brother,who is a Nissan salesman, it's a truck with a great interior, the interior is nicely laidout and gives me the feel of driving a full size truck with a smoother ride. I don't care what you drive and for whatever reason you decided to spend your hard earned coin on the vehicle you choose/chose so don't let a few naysayers ruin your experience. I'm extremely happy and will finish with GET WHAT YOU WANT!

·
72 Posts
Same reason I bought my tavor 223, somebody decided to redesign the wheel there and at Nissan. The big three are doing the same thing, over and over and there quality and drivability have suffered for it in my opinion.
And just like the tavor, guys pick it up and say 'this is way different', then they shoot it and go damnnnn........this is cool
So far I am still going '****, this is cool, with my XD, and very much in love with it. The ride, handling, capability's, comfort level, braking, everything. There was ALWAYS something I had to 'live with' with the big 3, whistling, rattles, poor braking-handling, wandering, whatever.
Nissan has improved upon the wheel, in my humble opinion. Good job guys. If she falls apart in 2 years I'll be back here busting your balls, but for the moment, **** of a job! Lol

·
1,300 Posts
I bought my XD as I'm a big Cummins fan. The titan is just a better built truck, better ride, seats are fantastic, the interior is great, and the cameras are nice to have. I'm not hauling hay for my horses anymore so the number work just great for me.

I don't like Rams front end issues, my 3500 always had loose steering and wandering all over the place.
I hate Fords they just a rattley piece of crap, horrible build quality and the trucks are just complete sh*t. Oh and don't get me started on there door chim...
GM is just as brutal they can't do a proper redesign in what is it like 12 yeas now, and they fall apart fast. The doors creek when you open and close them, their paint is not good quality at all there always faded and look old.

My 0.02

·
1,268 Posts
Why I'm buying Nissan???

I do not tow very often, and when I do, it's generally with a trailer that has a tongue weight of 500lbs and the load might be 1,000 pounds....
I need a truck for carrying my slide in truck camper. It weighs 1,611 pounds dry...
I currently haul it in my 2002 Toyota Tundra with helper springs and air bags. The Tundra is a nice truck, but when I have the camper on it, fully loaded and going up a steep grade...that truck is working way too hard! The gas motor is really revving to make the top of the hill. The Tundra now has 230,000 miles and it's time to retire it...
I looked at the Ram 1500 diesel, but it can't carry the weight I need it to carry. I looked at Ford, but they don't have a diesel in a 150 series...yet. The F150 can carry the weight though. Chevy doesn't have a 1/2 ton pickup with a diesel either...
When I saw the specs on the Titan XD, I knew I was sold... It can carry the load and the diesel engine won't hardly even work going up the long steep grades. I test drove a crew cab, and really liked it. But, I'm holding out for an XD in a king cab or extended cab, whatever Nissan will call it....
Since camping season is now here and the XD king cab isn't, I may be using the Tundra a few more times.... I hope it still has a few more trips in her....

·
895 Posts
Instead bought Nissan XD Cummins Diesel due to Dodge Ram's Italian VM Motori Eco Diesel having a very simple poor engineering design that surprisingly continues to be ignored.

The Ram Eco Diesel has gear slippage on cam shaft because gears on camshaft are not fitted by a keyed design, but instead are dependent upon the singular bolt that presses against and holds the cam gear and high pressure fuel pump gear in place on cam shaft. On high average, cam gear slipping occurs on those engines with appx 70k miles. Thus, valve and piston slap occurs and engine detonation is inevitable.

Wanted a diesel engine that would not have aforesaid type of difficulty, or any, after warranty expiration. Cummins has an excellent reputation and am sure Nissan's and Cummins combined effort will provide buyers expectations.

·
31 Posts
My wife has an 05 pathy that we bought new. I has had it's issues being the first year and a new model but we stayed on top of everything. Most serious issues were covered by warranty. The trans solenoid pack we had to pay for, and a u joint. But otherwise the truck is strong. One set of front and back brakes and rotors in 150,000km and no shocks, or other front end parts . The pathy is tight and drives like it did when new.

I was going to buy a Ram 1500, test drove two and they both had a shimmy at about 60mph. Very expensive and the dealers would not negotiate. Very little of the good ole dodge incentives. Didn't want a chevy with the reported steering wheel off centre, or take a chance on an aluminum ford. So I drove a tundra and said I want this model in silver. Sorry I was told there are no trucks in inventory in the largest retailer in BC. We might get one in 2 months, can I call you. I drove from Toyota to Nissan and the had my colour on for 25% off retail. The truck seemed good, the whole package. Drove it and was impressed by the ride and comfort. Bought it the same week.

I still look forward to driving it after 5 months. Still haven't got the call from Toyota...:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
My wife has an 05 pathy that we bought new. I has had it's issues being the first year and a new model but we stayed on top of everything. Most serious issues were covered by warranty. The trans solenoid pack we had to pay for, and a u joint. But otherwise the truck is strong. One set of front and back brakes and rotors in 150,000km and no shocks, or other front end parts . The pathy is tight and drives like it did when new.

I was going to buy a Ram 1500, test drove two and they both had a shimmy at about 60mph. Very expensive and the dealers would not negotiate. Very little of the good ole dodge incentives. Didn't want a chevy with the reported steering wheel off centre, or take a chance on an aluminum ford. So I drove a tundra and said I want this model in silver. Sorry I was told there are no trucks in inventory in the largest retailer in BC. We might get one in 2 months, can I call you. I drove from Toyota to Nissan and the had my colour on for 25% off retail. The truck seemed good, the whole package. Drove it and was impressed by the ride and comfort. Bought it the same week.

I still look forward to driving it after 5 months. Still haven't got the call from Toyota.../forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Similar story here. I bought and drove F250s diesels my entire life. My wife has been a Nissan owner for quite some time and owned three and we had bought a Nissan Frontier for one of our sons. Hers and his you couldn't tear up with a sledge hammer....and they are both very hard on vehicles?
When I got ready to buy I just couldn't keep giving Ford more money than a truck is worth....I was die hard Blue Oval guy but dangit...so I had been watching the XD started looking and talking to the dealer in Round Rock who sold my wife her cars.....next thing you know....I'm in a XD?...and couldn't be happier.

·
302 Posts
When I got ready to buy I just couldn't keep giving Ford more money than a truck is worth....I was die hard Blue Oval guy but dangit...
I agree...it is a value proposition isn't it? I've also driven Fords for years, but they are crazy now. They are still selling them though...it is a herd mentality.

Apple is the best organization I've ever seen for extracting more money than their products are worth--totally a herd thing and getting locked into their "ecosystem." (OK, ok, I know value is relative and is what people are willing to pay...)

The value proposition for the XD was very good in late 2016 when I bought mine. Huge discounts...couldn't have bought a stripped F150 XLT for what I paid for my 2016 4x4 SL Cummins...that trade-off is a winner in my mind if I keep the vehicle over the long-term which I plan to do.

·
353 Posts
Why do we stick with Nissan?

'88 Sentra, 10 years and not one single major repair.
'02 Pathfinder, 13 years and not one single major repair.
'06 Titan, 10 years and not one single major repair.

We have our '15 Murano for 3 years and our '16 XD for 2 years and not one single major issue (knock on wood).

Meanwhile everyone we know with Big 3 vehicles complain about them non-stop from day 1.

The only way we'd move away from Nissan is if Honda made a half ton because the one Honda we owned was the most reliable vehicle we've ever seen, even going back to our childhood and the vehicles our parents bought.

·
659 Posts
Why do we stick with Nissan?

'88 Sentra, 10 years and not one single major repair.
'02 Pathfinder, 13 years and not one single major repair.
'06 Titan, 10 years and not one single major repair.

We have our '15 Murano for 3 years and our '16 XD for 2 years and not one single major issue (knock on wood).

Meanwhile everyone we know with Big 3 vehicles complain about them non-stop from day 1.

The only way we'd move away from Nissan is if Honda made a half ton because the one Honda we owned was the most reliable vehicle we've ever seen, even going back to our childhood and the vehicles our parents bought.
Ditto.

03 Pathfinder, 200k miles and nothing major
12 Armada, 100k miles and nothing major
17 XD, 30k miles and a bunch of annoying squawks.. actually a little disappointing but I'm not rushing to get rid of it

·
13 Posts
I was looking at buying a used Ford F-250 diesel, but everything was ragged out, and everyone wanted top dollar for trucks with high miles. I looked at and test drove a gas Texas Titan XD and I was extremely impressed. I traded in a 2002 Jeep Wrangler with only 82k miles on it, and got a decent trade in for it. With all the year end incentives, and my trade, I got a brand new truck for under 30k. Everything else was at least $10 k more expensive. I feel like this truck is a real sleeper in its product segment. I ride higher, and look better than most other trucks, and I cause a buzz everywhere I go. I like having something different. I bought the Titan XD because I feel it is a great value! It is my daily driver, and I love driving it. Mileage is around 15mpg, and it has plenty of power! I love the 20 inch wheels and all the goodies you get with the Texas Titan package. There are not many after market product out yet for it, but I feel that will come in time. But for now, I'm riding high, and the Titan XD is a complete joy to drive. If you are on the fence, go drive one and see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Great price on a leftover '18 PR.
Sweet PR interior.
Stellar ride.
Great warrenty.
Solid reviews found here.
Wanted something different.
Tired of rusting Chevys.
Plenty of power. (Gas)
6.5 foot long bed.