Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most common complaints I read about on this forum, other forums, and from journalists is that Nissan missed the mark with the Titan XD diesel because of its price - stating "for not that much more you could get a true 3/4 ton"

Well I don't know what these people are smoking, because when I did some research on TruCar comparing equally optioned (with a diesel if available) trucks from the big 3 in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton 2 things really stood out to me

1.) People are really paying 53k for an ecodiesel longhorn? Talk about not getting much capability for the money.
2.) The F150 optioned to match my trucks capability and available options show people in my area are paying $500 bucks more for that truck than mine....and you are not even getting a diesel....and there are still 2 higher trim levels in the F150 food chain!

And something else that stood out to me is that the cheapest similarly equipped diesel 3/4 ton is $3,300 more than my truck according to what people are paying on TruCar. Granted you are getting a more capable truck....but is it really THAT much more capable?

According to the Ford Supplemental towing guide the Supercrew F250 4x4 Diesel is rated to tow 14k conventional and 15k gooseneck. But something seems fishy about that because those numbers don't change based off of gearing selected, 4x4 or 4x2, and there are no trim levels listed. So I imagine that the King Ranch trim would likely be 1.5k lbs less in each category based off of GCWR and GVWR after the options are added to the truck.

So my truck at roughly 11k lbs towing vs a Crew F250 Diesel King Ranch at roughly 12.5k lbs towing = 1.5k lbs more capability and probably a lot more payload capability.

I don't know. Maybe I am missing a few brain cells and can't see what everyone else is seeing, but I just can't work numbers around to where the Titan XD Diesel is not one of the best values around.

Attachments

·
80 Posts
I agree I think the platinum reserve resembles high end lariat which they both carry $62,000 msrp. The fancy lariat f250 carries a $68,000 msrp. So I think their priced on par. I think your getting a very stable platform for the money with the Titan XD. In that report they really need to use the platinum reserve instead of the pro 4x even then its still cheaper.

·
1,979 Posts
Payload is the biggest difference, it would be extremely hard to hook up to a 5th with the XD & not go over the PL. A F250 SRW PL is roughly 3700#'s

·
658 Posts
One of the most common complaints I read about on this forum, other forums, and from journalists is that Nissan missed the mark with the Titan XD diesel because of its price - stating "for not that much more you could get a true 3/4 ton"

Well I don't know what these people are smoking, because when I did some research on TruCar comparing equally optioned (with a diesel if available) trucks from the big 3 in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton 2 things really stood out to me

1.) People are really paying 53k for an ecodiesel longhorn? Talk about not getting much capability for the money.
2.) The F150 optioned to match my trucks capability and available options show people in my area are paying $500 bucks more for that truck than mine....and you are not even getting a diesel....and there are still 2 higher trim levels in the F150 food chain!

And something else that stood out to me is that the cheapest similarly equipped diesel 3/4 ton is $3,300 more than my truck according to what people are paying on TruCar. Granted you are getting a more capable truck....but is it really THAT much more capable?

According to the Ford Supplemental towing guide the Supercrew F250 4x4 Diesel is rated to tow 14k conventional and 15k gooseneck. But something seems fishy about that because those numbers don't change based off of gearing selected, 4x4 or 4x2, and there are no trim levels listed. So I imagine that the King Ranch trim would likely be 1.5k lbs less in each category based off of GCWR and GVWR after the options are added to the truck.

So my truck at roughly 11k lbs towing vs a Crew F250 Diesel King Ranch at roughly 12.5k lbs towing = 1.5k lbs more capability and probably a lot more payload capability.

I don't know. Maybe I am missing a few brain cells and can't see what everyone else is seeing, but I just can't work numbers around to where the Titan XD Diesel is not one of the best values around.
I basically did the same thing the other day and posted it here http://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/193-2016-nissan-titan-general-discussion/14618-super-ike-xd-gas-vs-xd-diesel-10.html#post157482

To save you the trouble of going to the link
"So, earlier today I went to true car.com to check my areas true market value. It was interesting to see that the Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins was coming in right around $47,000 (2wd SL with no other options selected).

Ram 2500 with the Cummins option $51,000 (2wd Laramie trim)
Ford F-250 with Powerstroke diesel option $52,000 (2wd Lariat trim)
Chevy 2500 with Duramax diesel option $49,500 (2wd LT trim)
GMC 2500 with Duramax diesel option $55,000 (2wd SLT trim)

To me, the 250/2500 trucks are quite a bit more truck than the XD for $3,000-$5,000 more (3-10% more cost) At that extra cost vs extra performance, the XD just isn't that appealing."

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I have said it all along. I was after mid line. When I was buying end price the ecodiesel was $2000 less then my sv premium missing some key features and way less capable. F250 xlt was $2000 more. Yes more capable and but missing alot of features, you basically have to step up the Lariat to get similar options and that's alot more.

Alot of people mention you can get an f250 for similar price. But I guess same could be said for f150 shoppers comparing to the F250.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3,000 - 5,000 Is quite a bit more to me......Like a lot more. And like I said before is it really THAT much more truck. The big 3 literally make it impossible for you to research the ACTUAL towing and payload capabilities of the truck that a person ends up buying. They make it to where the only way you will actually be able to know what the truck is capable of doing is by looking at the safety compliance certification label. So what you have is a bunch of people running around comparing Titan XD published ratings for the actual truck a guy could buy vs the MAXIMUM tow ratings of comparable trucks that a person may or may not have or purchase because lets be honest who is checking the safety compliance certification label and cross referencing the manual before buying a truck.

A guy walks in to the dealership after seeing the kick a** commercial of a truck doing some awesome work and then the dude comes over the commercial saying "blah blah best in class available towing" but doesn't finish the sentence because it would end with "but only on the truck no one wants to drive because you have to bring your own radio"

Lol. This comes across super crappy. I don't mean it that way, I'm just super frustrated because I have literally read every single owners / towing manual from the big 3 and they all really are worthless. Not a single one of them come right out and pinpoints the capacities of a truck based on trim, configuration, and drivetrain. But Nissan does. And they are being burned at the stake for it. Take a look at the towing capacity chart I posted - the 2500 duramax has a listed towing capacity of 13k lbs. And that is for the base model crew cab 4x2. Add 4x4 - 500 lbs. Add LTZ package easily another 800lbs. Now your sitting at 11,700 lbs of towing capacity.

There is a RAM and Ford dealership 2 mins from work. I will stop at both on the way home this evening and snap some pictures of the safety compliance certification labels on a few of the 3/4 ton trucks that people would actually buy and cross reference those GVW to the towing manuals and post the results. Should be interesting.

·
430 Posts
The XD is not rated for over 10k trailer towing. If it were it would have a rated 2.5" receiver hitch. And here, once again, a thread comparing the XD to HD trucks. These threads always start this way and end up with wadded up panties. If you're comparing MSRP, the Nissan looks good, on paper. But you take a real world sale of an FX4 Lariat that was bought for 48k out the door and the table rights itself. In real world comparisons, the HDs will demolish the XD, so yes, the msrp should be higher. Nissan has only been in the full size business for 13 years and didn't really promote any kind of reputation, and now they want to charge big boy prices. That's like a Kia or Hyundai trying to charge full market price for their cars. It's just not realistic. People are realizing their mistakes and are already bailing on the XD ship. And hey, before anyone starts whining and crying troll, remember, this thread asked for it. Lol

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rant continues.........

To make matters even worse compare a gas XD to a gas F250. The base model XD 2WD tows 11,269. The base 2WD gas F250 tows 12,500. That's a 1,200lb difference. I mean I am just struggling to see where it's THAT much more truck.

And I really don't even think that's a fair comparison because the 12,500 # that Ford lists in the towing manual applies to all cab/bed configurations and every 2x4 and 4x4. I mean that is just blatant lying to the consumer. And putting a little note at the bottom saying capacities are an estimate and are up to the user to accurately determine is horse crap. That's passing the liability onto the end user - I mean how can you drive a Ford / Ram / Chevy and feel comfortable as a consumer that your precious manufacturer is hoping you buy the marketing hype that way if crap breaks they can pass the buck onto you because you didn't figure out what you were actually rated to haul / tow.

The big 3 can't make enough Kool-Aid.

And when I say you I mean the collective. I am in no way pointing this flame at anyone in particular. I really don't believe it's any consumers fault for thinking that way. It's just they way it is.

·
1,979 Posts
3,000 - 5,000 Is quite a bit more to me......Like a lot more. And like I said before is it really THAT much more truck. The big 3 literally make it impossible for you to research the ACTUAL towing and payload capabilities of the truck that a person ends up buying. They make it to where the only way you will actually be able to know what the truck is capable of doing is by looking at the safety compliance certification label. So what you have is a bunch of people running around comparing Titan XD published ratings for the actual truck a guy could buy vs the MAXIMUM tow ratings of comparable trucks that a person may or may not have or purchase because lets be honest who is checking the safety compliance certification label and cross referencing the manual before buying a truck.

A guy walks in to the dealership after seeing the kick a** commercial of a truck doing some awesome work and then the dude comes over the commercial saying "blah blah best in class available towing" but doesn't finish the sentence because it would end with "but only on the truck no one wants to drive because you have to bring your own radio"

Lol. This comes across super crappy. I don't mean it that way, I'm just super frustrated because I have literally read every single owners / towing manual from the big 3 and they all really are worthless. Not a single one of them come right out and pinpoints the capacities of a truck based on trim, configuration, and drivetrain. But Nissan does. And they are being burned at the stake for it. Take a look at the towing capacity chart I posted - the 2500 duramax has a listed towing capacity of 13k lbs. And that is for the base model crew cab 4x2. Add 4x4 - 500 lbs. Add LTZ package easily another 800lbs. Now your sitting at 11,700 lbs of towing capacity.

There is a RAM and Ford dealership 2 mins from work. I will stop at both on the way home this evening and snap some pictures of the safety compliance certification labels on a few of the 3/4 ton trucks that people would actually buy and cross reference those GVW to the towing manuals and post the results. Should be interesting.
I'm not sure what you're frustrated about, either you like the xd and it fits your needs or it doesn't. Fords builder website starts to deduct the ratings every time you add something to the trucks so I'm not sure how much clearer they can be, Dodge has a pretty good graph that breakes down the different models vs ratings, Not sure how Chevy does it.The XD is a nice truck but it does have its limitations, but so does the other manufacturers. No reason to burn time you can't get back on silly stuff. Enjoy Life

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I was comparing actual price paid....not MSRP. And I don't wear panties lol.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what you're frustrated about, either you like the xd and it fits your needs or it doesn't. Fords builder website starts to deduct the ratings every time you add something to the trucks so I'm not sure how much clearer they can be, Dodge has a pretty good graph that breakes down the different models vs ratings, Not sure how Chevy does it.The XD is a nice truck but it does have its limitations, but so does the other manufacturers. No reason to burn time you can't get back on silly stuff. Enjoy Life
I did not know that. I will have to try that out. I'm not upset per say - really I don't think I am anything lol. I guess I just feel people are being deliberately mis-led by the marketing machine is all.

·
430 Posts
I did not know that. I will have to try that out. I'm not upset per say - really I don't think I am anything lol. I guess I just feel people are being deliberately mis-led by the marketing machine is all.
No, you are trying to promote the XD's value with a ranting post that doesn't give any real information. I'm glad you like your XD, though.

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, you are trying to promote the XD's value with a ranting post that doesn't give any real information. I'm glad you like your XD, though.
Lol I wasn't ranting and I provided numbers to substantiate my points. Including 3 graphs and a snapshot of the ford towing supplement. I mean I think that is all real. I could print it out and mail it to you so that you can touch it and maybe that will make it more real. <----- That's suppose to be funny don't yell at me.

And it's not about liking it. I'm kind of a nerd and I enjoy digging. And I was frustrated when I couldn't dig far enough with the material provided by the manufactures that would give actual capacities. That's all. Because everyone keeps saying "buy a 3/4 ton" and there wasn't any real info provided to support that claim.

·
430 Posts
Lol I wasn't ranting and I provided numbers to substantiate my points. Including 3 graphs and a snapshot of the ford towing supplement. I mean I think that is all real. I could print it out and mail it to you so that you can touch it and maybe that will make it more real. <----- That's suppose to be funny don't yell at me.

And it's not about liking it. I'm kind of a nerd and I enjoy digging. And I was frustrated when I couldn't dig far enough with the material provided by the manufactures that would give actual capacities. That's all. Because everyone keeps saying "buy a 3/4 ton" and there wasn't any real info provided to support that claim.
Fair enough. The key to the payload is the gvwr minus the actual weight of the truck. So by building the XD to the weight of current 3/4 tons, but limiting it at 8900lbs gvwr, you're going to have a lower payload compared to a 10,000 gvwr truck. It's basic. So a fully loaded Platinum F250 weighing about 7800lbs will have 2200lbs yo work with. As far as towing is concerned, it is limited by payload, up to 15,100lbs. That's why the identical SRW F350 [except for overload springs and 2" taller blocks] has about 600 more lbs of payload, and by default, 600lbs more overall towing. You can get a factory F250 with the overload springs, and heavy service front end, but it's still limited by the 10,000 lbs gvwr.

·
22 Posts
The XD is not rated for over 10k trailer towing. If it were it would have a rated 2.5" receiver hitch. And here, once again, a thread comparing the XD to HD trucks. These threads always start this way and end up with wadded up panties. If you're comparing MSRP, the Nissan looks good, on paper. But you take a real world sale of an FX4 Lariat that was bought for 48k out the door and the table rights itself. In real world comparisons, the HDs will demolish the XD, so yes, the msrp should be higher. Nissan has only been in the full size business for 13 years and didn't really promote any kind of reputation, and now they want to charge big boy prices. That's like a Kia or Hyundai trying to charge full market price for their cars. It's just not realistic. People are realizing their mistakes and are already bailing on the XD ship. And hey, before anyone starts whining and crying troll, remember, this thread asked for it. Lol
1. The Titan XD PRO4X towing capacity is 11,780lbs
2.The XD does look good on paper, and its better in real life...but you wouldn't know because you don't have one.
3.FX4 Lariat @ $48K out the door is BS. Maybe in 2012-2013, but not today - unless you've been tickling buttholes for good deals at the Ford Dealership.
4. Yes, the HDs will destroy an XD...but they have 34% more displacement.
5. I think they're all over priced and I'm the kinda guy who wants more but doesn't need it all the time. I don't regret one second of my purchase.
6. Who are these people you speak of? I think there was one guy on this forum that got a lemon, otherwise I haven't heard of the mass exodus or sell off of Titan XDs that you speak of.
7. Get a life - you're a douche

·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I get that. What I am saying is that they are not providing the GVW. They only number I was able to find in Ford literature was that a base model 2016 F250 Crew Cab Diesel 2WD weighs 7668lbs. Beyond that your guess is as good as mine. And maybe that information is out there somewhere. But its not put in the same place as the tow table so that you can calculate the actual towing ability or payload capacity.

·
430 Posts
1. The Titan XD PRO4X towing capacity is 11,780lbs
2.The XD does look good on paper, and its better in real life...but you wouldn't know because you don't have one.
3.FX4 Lariat @ $48K out the door is BS. Maybe in 2012-2013, but not today - unless you've been tickling buttholes for good deals at the Ford Dealership.
4. Yes, the HDs will destroy an XD...but they have 34% more displacement.
5. I think they're all over priced and I'm the kinda guy who wants more but doesn't need it all the time. I don't regret one second of my purchase.
6. Who are these people you speak of? I think there was one guy on this forum that got a lemon, otherwise I haven't heard of the mass exodus or sell off of Titan XDs that you speak of.
7. Get a life - you're a douche
1- The XD is rated for that only with a WD hitch. And it's limited at 1400lbs of tongue weight.
2- I was speaking for bottom line pricing. I like the new color selection, but the overall looks don't do much for me.
3-This was last summer in Dallas Texas. Diesel 4x4 crew cabs could be had as low as 37k OTD, and yes, that particular Lariat went for 48k. No anal play required. It's called bargaining like you have a pair.
4-And more capacity
5- I agree they are all overpriced, but Nissan needs to prove itself before charging premium prices.
6- Go to Carfax and look at used vehicles. There's a pretty good bit, relative to the amount sold.
7-Dang you got me. Way to be an e-thug.

·
430 Posts
Yeah I get that. What I am saying is that they are not providing the GVW. They only number I was able to find in Ford literature was that a base model 2016 F250 Crew Cab Diesel 2WD weighs 7668lbs. Beyond that your guess is as good as mine. And maybe that information is out there somewhere. But its not put in the same place as the tow table so that you can calculate the actual towing ability or payload capacity.
No, it's on a truck by truck basis. So is the XD. You're sticker will tell you your payload. There was a pro4x on here with 1450lbs, I think. Each vehicle weighs different. And your trim tells you your towing limit, which is limited by payload.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts