Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 Titan XD PR with the diesel engine and it came with 2 "intelligent" key fobs (each with a mechanical key integrated into the fob). There are also 2 additional full size mechanical keys.

If I understand correctly, you can only start the truck with the intelligent key. If you need to unlock the doors or any of the storage boxes, the mechanical key can be removed from the i-key fob for that purpose.

Why would you ever need the additional full size mechanical keys? Maybe I'm missing something

Thanks,

·
1,979 Posts
Did you read your owners manual? Lots of useful information in it. Congrats on your new T

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did read the owners manual. Each of the I-key fobs have a build-in mechanical key that can be removed. This "hidden" mechanical key can unlock the doors, glove box, Titan Boxes, interior storage boxes, and tailgate. There is a separate full size mechanical key that came attached to each of the I-keys. My question is does the full size key do anything that the hidden mechanical key does not? Why would I need to carry both the I-key and the full size mechanical key? If I need to unlock something with a mechanical key, I can simply use the mechanical key that is housed in the I-key fob.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yes they do the same.

With most typical truck advertising for people that where work gloves try using or gaining access to fob key with gloves on. Bigger key is easier to use.

·
165 Posts
It's typically just for convenience of not having to remove the key from the fob, use it, and then put it back in. That and you can disburse them just incase you lock one set in there, it's always great to have extras.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sprocket.

I plan to store the spare keys in a safe place. I haven't tested it, but according to the owner's manual, it is not possible to lock the intelligent key in the truck:

Lockout protection
With the Intelligent Key left in the vehicle, if all
doors are closed, a chime will sound after the last
door is closed and all doors will unlock automatically.
These functions help to prevent the Intelligent
Key from being accidentally locked inside the
vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts