Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, why Titan XD sale numbers are low so far. According to Autodata Corp, Nissan has barely sold 7,000 Titan XDs so far this year. By comparison, Ford sold 460,901 F-Series trucks from January through July, GM sold 327,768 Silverados and FCA sold 271,232 Rams. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Curious, why Titan XD sale numbers are low so far. According to Autodata Corp, Nissan has barely sold 7,000 Titan Xds so far this year. By comparison, Ford sold 460,901 F-Series trucks from January through July, GM sold 327,768 Silverados and FCA sold 271,232 Rams. :surprise:
Wait for the regular titan to be released. The XD is supposed to be only a small part of 100,000 titans in total Nissan plans to sell a year once all configurations are released eventually.

·
171 Posts
I'm thinking it's intentional to make sure the truck doesn't get any sort of bad press to the wider public. Most people who went out and bought XDs were either willing to pay sticker or used VPP which means they're friendly buyers who are sympathetic to the brand. We do the same thing when deploying network assets during the FFA before doing a "hard launch" to the general public.

It would be one thing if they were just piling up at dealers but so far it seems like only a few are being built for now.

·
507 Posts
I didn't even realize that until you just said it. I don't think I have even seen an S for sale.
I found 1 S model within 500 miles of me. Most of the lots have Platinums.
There is a church near me that a Nissan Dealer uses as overflow, and it has 13 XDs on it, all Platinums. The dealer itself has one yellow Pro 4XD, the rest are Platinums.
A couple of XDs on lots around here that are SV or SL, and even they are optioned out enough to almost be a Platinum

·
1,979 Posts
Nissan is selling around what they forcasted, I'm guessing. Keep in mind a few years ago Nissan was going to let the Titan be a rebranded Dodge.

·
363 Posts
Here's a start:

- questionable experience in the consumer 3/4 ton-ish US pickup market
- still building a base of trusted pickup customers
- hokey, niche tweener business plan
- underwhelming tow/haul specs
- acquired taste looks
- excess heft
- marginal fuel economy
- marginal acceleration
- the XD gas engine option out-pulls it even at altitude
- poor value
- no exhaust brake
- first model year
- 3/4 ton competition is tough

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Here's a start:

- questionable experience in the consumer 3/4 ton-ish US pickup market
- still building a base of trusted pickup customers
- hokey, niche tweener business plan
- underwhelming tow/haul specs
- acquired taste looks
- excess heft
- marginal fuel economy
- marginal acceleration
- the XD gas engine option out-pulls it even at altitude
- poor value
- no exhaust brake
- first model year
- 3/4 ton competition is tough
And even with all that negative it's still exceeding sales expectations since only a small portion of the model mix has been released so far.

·
450 Posts
That's a long list.....almost long enough to make someone forget about the truck all together......almost

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The XD is exceeding sales expectations? How do you figure?
Don't make me repost the titan sales plan stated long before launch. Eventually 100,000 total titans a year once all configurations released. Small portion of that xd sales and even a smaller portion of that to be diesel sales.

·
363 Posts
You guys love to distract with that Titan marketing sales red herring guestimate. Let's stay focused on the original question - why XD sales are dismal.

At the XD debut Ghosn said the XD was intended to meet the needs of the 150k annual pickup buyers that move between half and heavy duty pickups. So far the XD is on track to get a small fraction of those customers and that's after a roll-out that should garner spectacular interest.

So far the XD has been a dismal failure. My guess is Nissan's EPA work with Cummins led to a production rush without adequate customer group studies, truck R&D, or hiring the right team to design the XD.

·
903 Posts
Some of the things frost is saying is true however I blame the lack of sales on the lack of advertising dollars. The big 3 spends millions on advertising their trucks. And we have seen like 3 titan xd commercials. Driving the truck around we see people on a daily basis that had no clue nissan had a cummins

·
450 Posts
Some of the things frost is saying is true however I blame the lack of sales on the lack of advertising dollars. The big 3 spends millions on advertising their trucks. And we have seen like 3 titan xd commercials. Driving the truck around we see people on a daily basis that had no clue nissan had a cummins
Two guys asked me yesterday what truck this was and when I told them they had no idea Nissan even had a new truck out let alone one with a Cummins. One was driving a current gen F250 and the other a last gen Chevy 2500.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
There is no denying marketing has been very week. But most printed interviews state they only plan on 100,000 titans total yearly. Reading some of the plant capabilities as it stands 100,000 is max unless they move production of other Nissan models to another location.
Back in 2013 in earlier link they were hoping for 10% diesel sales, but reading in another publishing may 9 2016 number changed to 20% sales hopping to be diesel:

"While adding a gas engine to the XD lineup helps expand its reach, the real breakthrough comes late this summer when the all-new ’17 Titan light-duty truck hits the market riding on a completely unique chassis from the XD but powered by the same 5.6L V-8 gas engine.

The half-ton truck, the volume model in the Titan range, will be available in Crew, Single and King cabs, along with all five trim levels. A V-6 model is slated for a later introduction.

Nissan says it plans to sell 100,000 Titans, with 20-23% XD diesels, 12-14% XD gas and the remainder in light-duty gas-powered trucks."

With current numbers they really aren't far off that goal considering no base models released yet, no regular cabs and no king cabs. Up until this point only high-end models.

Nothing to stick a fork in the truck that's for sure. As much as I'm called a fan boy. They really missed the mark with marketing. Most of the campaign has been about gooseneck pulling. If that focus was on bumper pull travel trailers instead. I think the XD would do much better. That's not a small market either. There are so many 28' to 39' travel trailers out there that are being pulled by vehicles lighter then the trailer's weight. Throw an XD in front of it a totally different towing experience.

·
658 Posts
Don't make me repost the titan sales plan stated long before launch. Eventually 100,000 total titans a year once all configurations released. Small portion of that xd sales and even a smaller portion of that to be diesel sales.
Actually, this is exactly what I wanted you to post. From your linked article:

"Our business case is nowhere near needing 300,000 diesel engines," he says. Rather, Palmer sees the Titan diesel take rate at 10% to 15% of total Titan sales, although he’s hopeful for more.

The 5.0L V-8 will be the only diesel for the next Titan, but gasoline engines also are planned. The current model offers a 5.6L V-8. Palmer is coy as to whether the auto maker will sell a turbocharged gasoline V-6, similar to Ford's EcoBoost, which other Nissan executives have hinted is in the works.

"Fuel economy will be a part of the vehicle, so to speak," Palmer says.

Having enough capacity to satisfy 100,000-unit sales annually should not be an issue, he claims, despite the fact Nissan has filled the Titan's Canton, MS, plant with other products as well.

Nissan Titan sales by the month:

Dec 2015 - 1018
Jan 2016 - 937
Feb 2016 - 1060
Mar 2016 - 1010
Apr 2016 - 1274
May 2016 - 922
Jun 2016 - 896
Jul 2016 - 1143

15% of 100,000 would be 15,000 or 1,250 per month. Instead the total TITAN sales for the year is 8,296 over 8 months (including left over previous gen 1 2015 modes and XD Gas models) which equals an average of 1,032.5 per month. Assuming that average hold through the year and IF Titan could sell a total of 100,000 units a year. 2017's percentage would equal 12.39%, and last I checked, that would mean that it is NOT exceeding expectations of up to 15%. Remove the 2015s that were/are being liquidated and the XD gassers and I would bet you are much closer to being below the 10% mark.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts