Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
629 Posts
A few guys on the FB group did, they said it's definitely worth it. However, they never followed up with dyno results, MPG changes, or temperature differences. It's something I've been thinking about doing myself, I just wanted to see some results first

·
770 Posts
Same. I’ve almost bought it several times. I might just buy it when I finally install EGR kit, since I’ll be in there anyways taking stuff apart. Turbo is way more accessible with EGR off.

·
2017 XD Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few guys on the FB group did, they said it's definitely worth it. However, they never followed up with dyno results, MPG changes, or temperature differences. It's something I've been thinking about doing myself, I just wanted to see some results first
What is the name of the Facebook group?

·
629 Posts
I don't remember, I think it's Titan XD parts & performance. Something like that. He has the white XD that's jacked up.

·
175 Posts
Same. I’ve almost bought it several times. I might just buy it when I finally install EGR kit, since I’ll be in there anyways taking stuff apart. Turbo is way more accessible with EGR off.
Do you know by chance how difficult it is to rebuild the turbos? I want to do the wicked wheels and thought since I have the turbos apart to replace the seals and bearings.

Stay frosty

·
770 Posts
Do you know by chance how difficult it is to rebuild the turbos? I want to do the wicked wheels and thought since I have the turbos apart to replace the seals and bearings.

Stay frosty
I’ve never had this trucks turbo removed before, so I can’t speak personally.

I’ve rebuilt a couple turbos and mine weren't bad at all, if you just want to do seals and a good cleaning.

The turbos on my 300ZX weren’t bad at all to do and we’re pretty clean. On the other hand, I refreshed the turbo on my 7.3 Powerstroke and it was filthy. I broke it down as far as I could and had a neighbor use a parts cleaner on it.

My only fear is that finding parts for these turbos would be near impossible. These technicians don’t work on items like they used to, they just swap whole systems out until the vehicle is fixed. You might have to find a Cummins part number to locate seals/bearings/hardware.

I was just talking to @wakinvol about this as well, but I think all the emissions system recirculating packs our turbos with sludge. It’s evident with turbo actuator valve and turbo failure. If you pop an intercooler coupling off and take a peak you can see all the flux/sludge in there as well.

Great idea though! I think the wicked wheel would benefit this truck.

·
329 Posts
You may need a few special tools, to rebuild our turbos...i have no idea.

But i bet a shop wont charge you much to swap wheels out. Ive had turbos rebuilt for around $600-800.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts