Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of finalizing a purchase of a 2016 XD, 4x4, Diesel w/Platinum Trim to tow my newly purchased Grand Design, 150 Series, 290BH Reflection, 5th Wheel Camper. I have researched and driven various trucks. Although these 5th wheels are apparently designed for F-150 towing, after 3 weeks of research (i.e., spec'ing out the heaviest duty F-150 at a dealer; reviewing actual F-150 driving tests posted on YouTube videos, and based on comments by 5th wheel owners of the same camper series), I believe the F-150 is too light. Meanwhile, my wife drove a F-250, and indicated that it was too rough for her, and that she wouldn't drive it. Further, the F-250 will not fit in our garage. As a result, I've zero'd in to the Titan XD Diesel, or Gas (it will "just" fit in our garage). My 5th wheel camper dry weight = 8,194 lbs; the GVWR = 9,995, and the king pin weight is 1,280 lbs (dry weight). If I pack a 1,000 lbs of liquid and cargo, obviously that's 9,194 lbs loaded, and at a proportion of 20% that's 1,838 lbs (theoretically), on the pin. I have no concerns as to whether the truck can "Tow" it - at least based on Grand Design 5th wheel Facebook owner group comments. One owner has pulled a similar 5th wheel camper, with another 100 lbs of pin weight for 2 1/2 years to Texas, the Carolina's, Florida, N. Michigan, and Illinois) with a 2016 XD Diesel, Crew, Platinum trim (same truck as I'm considering). He did have the dealer add another leaf spring. The only confusing part for me is Payload. According to the 2018 (don't have the '16 one) Nissan brochure, the Maximum Payload for a 4x4, Diesel, with Crew, is 2,000 lbs, and for the Gas it's 2,520 lbs. I prefer the diesel for towing, and mpg when under tow. However, with the 1,838 lbs pin weight, plus another 4 passengers at say 720 lbs, that's 2,558 lbs in payload weight. The owner that I just mentioned says his payload rating on his diesel is 2,900 lbs. ??. Further, I sent him the exact diesel truck that I'm considering purchasing (which is the same as his). He says that it's "plenty of truck for your 290BH". Hmm ???. How does his rating say 2,900, when the Nissan brochure say 2,000 lbs. Nevertheless, he's towing about the same 5th wheel camper without an issue for 2 1/2 years (long distance), with a 2 inch rear wheel-well squat. Hmm ??? ... I have two questions: Scenario 1: With an extra leaf spring, do you believe the diesel can carry 2,558 lbs (safely)? Scenario 2: Alternatively, owing that the Gas has a rating of 2,520 lbs, would you buy a Gas, knowing that under tow they get about 10 mpg, vs. 18 for diesel? And I hear less than the diesel around town too. I would greatly appreciate your practical and professional opinion related to my two questions, and any other insight. I'm trying to buy the right truck!!

·
471 Posts
#1) The other owner is incorrect regarding the payload weight, may be using "raw" numbers before subtracting for different factors, may be using the max rating for the least loaded XD (no 4X4, for example)

#2) Despite NISSAN'S lower payload rating I should choose the diesel for esse of towing. The diesel will get better mileage and is far more relaxed about towing duties. The Gas IS NOT a bad choice either, just lower mileage and a "busier" motor under load, but still moves everything just fine.

#3) In my unqualified opinion, and based on reports from other owners, I think the XD diesel will tow your rig just fine, probably better than other trucks that are "rated" for this weight.

#4) As others have reported as well, there appears to be no "need" or requirement to add a leaf spring or other ride compensating devices for easy and safe operation, however several owners have opted for various devices because they are bothered by the look of the squat in the rear or they prefer the feel of the extra lift in the rear. Technically it doesn't change the rating as motor/cooling/transmission/steering etc. stay the same. Do what makes you happy here, note in my experience the leaf spring route will make it ride rougher when unloaded. Air bags might be an adjustable option.

#5) You will find a lot of arguing back and forth over this issue of using the XD at and perhaps above it's max rating, but reports from anyone who has done it is that this truck is dead steady and happy with plenty of power for this type of use. Way, Way better than competitors in the 1/2 ton class that boast higher ratings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
471 Posts
addendum: If the primary mileage and use will be towing heavy, go with the diesel. If you will also be driving a lot around town the gas is a bit better for that. Operating costs for a lot of towing will likely be lower with the diesel.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
addendum: If the primary mileage and use will be towing heavy, go with the diesel. If you will also be driving a lot around town the gas is a bit better for that. Operating costs for a lot of towing will likely be lower with the diesel.

Thanks so much for your comments and insights!! Yes, the Gas, Regular Cab, with optimal equipment is rated at 2,910 lbs. Taking my concern to the final end-point, the door sticker on these Diesel Crew cabs say about 1,600 lbs. Ugh!! I'm not clear why this is the case when the Titan XD brochure says 2,000 lbs. Maybe the Platinum trim results in 400 lbs more weight than the "S" Trim package. This seems a bit much. Meanwhile, a friend recommended an Air Lift "Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate" w/Jounce product, with a quoted 5,000 lbs level load support. I would do this, owing that it may not stiffen the ride as with another spring - yet support the suspension under load. At the end of the day, with this product mounted, any final thoughts, or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

·
299 Posts
Thanks so much for your comments and insights!! Yes, the Gas, Regular Cab, with optimal equipment is rated at 2,910 lbs. Taking my concern to the final end-point, the door sticker on these Diesel Crew cabs say about 1,600 lbs. Ugh!! I'm not clear why this is the case when the Titan XD brochure says 2,000 lbs. Maybe the Platinum trim results in 400 lbs more weight than the "S" Trim package. This seems a bit much. Meanwhile, a friend recommended an Air Lift "Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate" w/Jounce product, with a quoted 5,000 lbs level load support. I would do this, owing that it may not stiffen the ride as with another spring - yet support the suspension under load. At the end of the day, with this product mounted, any final thoughts, or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!
If you are really concern on following payload, you might want to look at 3/4 ton from the big 3, adding air lift wont increase your written payload. On the other hand, lots of people in this forum tows over 10K TT and other trailer with no problem.

·
185 Posts
Your mileage estimates are pretty optimistic for both the 5.0 and the 5.6 especially the 5.0. Others can chime in, but I don't recall anyone with a 5th wheel knocking down those kinds of numbers.

·
262 Posts
This probably belongs in the thread on fuel mileage, but I submit it here as it might relate to what you could experience with a 5th wheel.

With my 5.0 Pro4x, I tow regularly (85% of 37k miles) from the higher elevations in Arizona (5000-7000ft) either a 3500 or 6000# travel trailer to nearly sea level on the West Coast and return. With the lower profile 3500# travel trailer, I can eke out 14.2 mpg calculated from Kingman to Bakersfield.

On the return trip with that 3500# trailer, Bako to Kingman is 12.99 calculated. From Kingman to the Prescott area, it goes downhill from there to high 11s to low 12s depending on wind, travel speed, etc.

With the 6000# trailer (sloped front profile but nevertheless more wind sail area) on the same run, I can't remember an combined average that was above 10.9 mpg. I have a run in the 6k trailer on the same route in the next month that I will pay more attention to.

Those are real #s based on my driving style over fairly long distances mostly interstate highways, huge differences in elevation change and wind speeds that can vary from tailwinds to 40+mph head and sidewinds. I expect a fifth wheel will be much less under the same conditions.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This probably belongs in the thread on fuel mileage, but I submit it here as it might relate to what you could experience with a 5th wheel.

With my 5.0 Pro4x, I tow regularly (85% of 37k miles) from the higher elevations in Arizona (5000-7000ft) either a 3500 or 6000# travel trailer to nearly sea level on the West Coast and return. With the lower profile 3500# travel trailer, I can eke out 14.2 mpg calculated from Kingman to Bakersfield.

On the return trip with that 3500# trailer, Bako to Kingman is 12.99 calculated. From Kingman to the Prescott area, it goes downhill from there to high 11s to low 12s depending on wind, travel speed, etc.

With the 6000# trailer (sloped front profile but nevertheless more wind sail area) on the same run, I can't remember an combined average that was above 10.9 mpg. I have a run in the 6k trailer on the same route in the next month that I will pay more attention to.

Those are real #s based on my driving style over fairly long distances mostly interstate highways, huge differences in elevation change and wind speeds that can vary from tailwinds to 40+mph head and sidewinds. I expect a fifth wheel will be much less under the same conditions.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!! Questions: a. Is your XD a Diesel, or Gas? and b. Do you have knowledge, or thoughts as to whether the other engine will result in about the same mpg under two and driving around town? I'm looking around for the "Fuel Mileage" thread, yet can't locate it. Thanks!

·
262 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!! Questions: a. Is your XD a Diesel, or Gas? and b. Do you have knowledge, or thoughts as to whether the other engine will result in about the same mpg under two and driving around town? I'm looking around for the "Fuel Mileage" thread, yet can't locate it. Thanks!
a) The 5.0 is the diesel (also in my sig). b) I can't talk to the "other" engine, which would be the gasser specifically and I presume you meant under "tow", but both are likely to do worse towing around town. Depending on travel plans, I carry up to 3x 5 gal diesel. I really stopped worrying about mpg, prepare myself for the worst and enjoy the ride! GasBuddy is a great tool for finding fuel stops even if you don't care about fuel cost.

I did choose the diesel because i thought it was safer to carry extra diesel than larger quantities of more volatile gasoline. The cans don't swell even in the 120 temps we have here in AZ. Diesel is smellier to handle and deal with after dispensing, but use disposable gloves and wipe the container(s) clean and make sure they don't leak before putting them in the bed with the other gear.

There are likely many threads on fuel mileage. I should have written "a" thread instead of "the" thread.

·
Banned
356 Posts
As a pre-warning: I never encourage anyone to exceed the specs. That being said, I tow my 13,000 (fully loaded) pound fifth wheel with my XD Diesel Pro4X. Fifth wheel is around 1100 empty. While the EGTs get hot, they are manageable and the truck tows it just fine. Pin weight is around 1900-2050. Mileage varies, but gets around 9.5-10.2 depending on terrain. I am deleted now, but towed it prior to deleting with no problems either. The only major problem I have had with the truck is my transmission went out and was replaced under warranty. I chalk that up to a fluke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts