Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
450 Posts
Wow....I don't know if you realized this but the holding tanks on that particular camper will hold 1200lbs of water if they are all full (which I know typically doesn't happen). That's surprising to me.

·
157 Posts
I personally would be concerned with that dry hitch weight. That's pretty high and depending on the holding tanks location and how you load your gear you may not be able to overcome the loaded weight difference correctly with a weight distributing hitch.
The trailer in question is a 5'er, not a bumper pull. No weight distribution hitch required. However, once loaded it will likely exceed the manufacturers rated load/cargo capacity without a driver or passengers in the TV. Will the truck handle it? Probably, but there have been numerous threads on rated capacity vs. actual capability and they do get heated.

·
450 Posts
The trailer in question is a 5'er, not a bumper pull. No weight distribution hitch required. However, once loaded it will likely exceed the manufacturers rated load/cargo capacity without a driver or passengers in the TV. Will the truck handle it? Probably, but there have been numerous threads on rated capacity vs. actual capability and they do get heated.
That was a glaring mistake on my part. I didn't realize that it was a fifth wheel.

My personal opinion is that if one is going to exceed tongue weight or pin weight that exceeding pin weight is the better of the two.

Heavy tongue weight gets sketchy real fast on a poorly balanced trailer.

·
167 Posts
The truck can handle it. you're approaching the listed capacities so depends on what your comfortable with in possibly exceeding listed ratings. I would not be concerned about driving feel. Just my two cents from experience towing 10,000 lbs the truck felt like it was no big deal with the diesel anyways. my regular tow is 7500 lbs. In my old titan, I was not comfortable going past 90km/hr. In the new one I stop at 120km/hr because I'm worried about the boat at that speed as it is a big wind catcher on the dodger, the truck still feels totally stable and could push faster no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Wow....I don't know if you realized this but the holding tanks on that particular camper will hold 1200lbs of water if they are all full (which I know typically doesn't happen). That's surprising to me.
Yeah but typically it would be the 43 gal plus 6 hot water gallons dispersed into the two grey water tanks and some black water. Unless you add water and not empty.
But with that said all three of my past travel trailers the fresh water tank is much closer to the front so it ads quite a bit to tongue/pin weight

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well now, this is a loaded question. My first question would be which Titan XD trim? Second, gas or diesel? Third, are you OK with being over the GVWR/other max weights as listed by Nissan? Safety is subjective to your vehicle, load, driving style, driving conditions, etc... So lets answer the questions about your vehicle first.
Diesel 4x4 SV

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The reason I ask this, is because I want to recheck some of my thoughts.

It seems to me, everything about this truck is somewhat under-rated in comparison to what the individual parts can actually do.
The chassis itself seems capable of more weight than it is limited
The engine pulls school buses full of demons, I mean kids, along with other medium heavy duty uses.
The transmission is the Aisan, which is on trucks rated to 28+K.

Now, just because it could pull more, does not mean I have any intent to actually over load it.
I just want it to be safe at the stated limits.

Just got back from another test drive in a nice Cayenne Red, SV that is marked down from 52 to 44.
Trying to figure what I can get it out the door for.

I bought my Frontier at this dealership and we mauled them on the deal, because it was one of those peculiar models that nobody wanted, green, auto, air, bucket seat and that was about it.
We also had an actual invoice to work from, so we knew exactly where we should be below invoice to get it done.
Consumer reports no longer seems to have actual numbers, instead they use that "true car" nonsense which has about 1500 off MSRP, and this thing is already well under that.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The reason I ask this, is because I want to recheck some of my thoughts.

It seems to me, everything about this truck is somewhat under-rated in comparison to what the individual parts can actually do.
The chassis itself seems capable of more weight than it is limited
The engine pulls school buses full of demons, I mean kids, along with other medium heavy duty uses.
The transmission is the Aisan, which is on trucks rated to 28+K.

Now, just because it could pull more, does not mean I have any intent to actually over load it.
I just want it to be safe at the stated limits.

Just got back from another test drive in a nice Cayenne Red, SV that is marked down from 52 to 44.
Trying to figure what I can get it out the door for.

I bought my Frontier at this dealership and we mauled them on the deal, because it was one of those peculiar models that nobody wanted, green, auto, air, bucket seat and that was about it.
We also had an actual invoice to work from, so we knew exactly where we should be below invoice to get it done.
Consumer reports no longer seems to have actual numbers, instead they use that "true car" nonsense which has about 1500 off MSRP, and this thing is already well under that.
Your only hold back is payload numbers you will be under the combined weight rating.
So you have that argument. Yes the truck will handle it fine.

·
658 Posts
Diesel 4x4 SV
If you have the extra option packs your sitting at 1543 available lbs of payload. And trailer has an empty pin weight 1520 lbs.
Atc is right, add in a 5th wheel hitch and you're already Over the DRY weight. Those dry weights are alway very optimistic numbers. Add in a couple people, a dog, some gear and you're hundreds of pounds over. Will the XD handle it? I'm sure it would. Is it over Nissans ratings? Yes it is. I would also bet your pin weight will be over 1,600 lbs. the dry weights are figured with no water, gear, or even optional equipment in the camper (ovens, furniture pkgs, maybe even the spare tire). Also, as an FYI, a guy here got a Platinum Reserve 2x4 for right around $49k. You may be able to shake that tree a bit more and get it for less than $44k!

·
214 Posts
I read somewhere that the J2807(?) standard include the weight of two larges adults and over 300lbs of extra equipment in the bed of the trucks. But please do your own validation. This is the internet after all ;)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I read somewhere that the J2807(?) standard include the weight of two larges adults and over 300lbs of extra equipment in the bed of the trucks. But please do your own validation. This is the internet after all ;)
My understanding under 8500 GVWR rating 300 lbs total driver and passenger. 8500 GVWR plus same driver and passenger but an extra 100 lbs for gear of some sort.

·
658 Posts
This std is about towing, not payload.GVWR is GVWR.... If the trucks GVWR is 8900 and the truck weighs in at 7,300 lbs all by itself, you can add 1600lbs of weight. If you use up 400 lbs of that with people, you have 1,200 left for cargo. And since a 5th wheel is what he is wanting to pull with this truck, the payload will become the first limiting factor.

·
1,300 Posts
Well we have a 35' 5er and our pin weight dry is 1400 when loaded up no clue but im sure it's over or right at spec... but I've been towing for years and know the limits of my ability.
This truck will handle it, it is a very capable and strong truck. I just got from a 2500KM road trip with ours and it did just fine. Some grades were a bit slow but when your climbing the Rockies in BC some areas you can't get a good run on the hills but it did great.

Reactions: Jtp
1 - 20 of 27 Posts