Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may not know this, but RAM in fact rejected the 5.0 Cummins V8...

For decades, Cummins engines have been exclusive to Ram pickups, but the diesel engine that Cummins produced for the 1500 was completely shot down by Ram. Apparently the automaker was looking for a highway fuel economy rating of no less than 26 mpg, and the Cummins Diesel was only able to return around 24. So, for the first time ever, Cummins was forced to find another buyer—and Nissan jumped on the chance to take the engine off their hands.

·
235 Posts
I don't see why it won't succeed as the engine wasn't flawed, just not as good with fuel economy. 24 and 26 isn't too much of a difference so I can't see this affecting the TitanXD sales too much.

·
363 Posts
Relative to the 3.0L ED, a 5.0L Cummins Ram would have cannibalize more sales from the 6.7L Ram. Nissan didn't have that issue. The 5.0L is a good compromise engine for a full-size Nissan diesel pickup line without another diesel option.

·
36 Posts
So, I have heard this before, but I have never seen anything that showed this was true. I'm not saying it's not true, but I would like to see something more than what people putting it on a few different forums I have seen. Before the Chrysler bail out, Dodge and Nissan were working together on the next half ton truck, then that fell through. So who's to say that Nissan and cummins were not working together the whole time. Again, I would just like to see something more firm that Ram actually rejected the Cummins.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Use google. It's a well known fact. Nissan, Dodge and Cummins were working together. Chrysler bailed and Nissan stayed on.

You can actually see a bit of Nissan design language in the ISV so it's pretty obvious to me they've been involved with the development of the ISV to some degree.

·
36 Posts
My rambling may not have got my point across. My main point is that there are claims out there that RAM straight up rejected the Cummins because it wouldn't meet their wanted MPG. The only thing I have seen is that Ram cancelled a contract with Cummins after the Fiat buy out. There could be a number of reasons for that. That was going to be for 2010 model trucks. If it is true that that is the reason, I feel thats been too long to try and say it's the same today. In 5 years we all know things can change without changing the whole engine. Just look at the Ford 6.7 diesel. Its had its power numbers bumped up twice since it came out in my 2011 trucks, and fuel economy numbers improved, all with the same block and main engine construction.

·
665 Posts
I think the fuel mileage concern was used as an excuse to use the 3.0L V6 from within their own house, rather than having to pay Cummins.

The Cummins name plate guarantees sales, so the last thing FCA is going to do is admit that they dropped the Cummins to sell their own engine.

If memory serves me correctly, daimlerchrysler tried the same thing with the heavy duty pickups, because Mercedes is a well known and respected diesel engine manufacturer. I'm a bit hazy on the details though, so don't quote me on it!

·
120 Posts
I think the fuel mileage concern was used as an excuse to use the 3.0L V6 from within their own house, rather than having to pay Cummins.

The Cummins name plate guarantees sales, so the last thing FCA is going to do is admit that they dropped the Cummins to sell their own engine.

If memory serves me correctly, daimlerchrysler tried the same thing with the heavy duty pickups, because Mercedes is a well known and respected diesel engine manufacturer. I'm a bit hazy on the details though, so don't quote me on it!
Navy I think your rt on the Mercedes bit. Not to get off subject but nissan will build mercedes truck for them just like nissan did for Isuzu. I hope they canabaliz there tec and make better small diesle motors. Or the Cummings thing is a short 3 to 4 yr run and switch to amg power.

·
665 Posts
It's worth noting that for a few years there was a 5.0L Diesel belt diagram on some of the Ram trucks.

·
608 Posts
Navy I think your rt on the Mercedes bit. Not to get off subject but nissan will build mercedes truck for them just like nissan did for Isuzu. I hope they canabaliz there tec and make better small diesle motors. Or the Cummings thing is a short 3 to 4 yr run and switch to amg power.
Are AMG engines that much better than Cummins' engines? I think most people are pretty excited about Cummins. If you want an AMG, go buy a Mercedes.

·
36 Posts
IMO Cummins is a good motor, but for me with this truck, I am interested in the fact that it is a capable truck that should get pretty good fuel mileage. I'd be interested in it if it wasn't a cummins. There are a lot of people in the USA that think Cummins is the absolute best out there, so the name gets a lot of attention.

·
665 Posts
Are AMG engines that much better than Cummins' engines? I think most people are pretty excited about Cummins. If you want an AMG, go buy a Mercedes.
I visited machine factory in Germany, my enployer had two of their machines with Mercedes diesels. At the factory, all the new machines, save for the largest were getting Cummins engines. The mercedes v12 was replaced with either a mann or duetz V8(can't remember which). The reason so many Cummins were being used is that Cummins has exceptional service availability across the world.

·
120 Posts
Forge..... infinity is using a mercedes platform for there new crossover. Also nissan will build the small truck for them. There will be a lot of cross tech going on. As for the Cummins yeah I want one. There will be better after market parts for it. Forge I have owned to many nissans to count I hope they get some refinment. Nissan is much better then the past years. Even on my 15 rouge there are some issues. These vehicles need to be better polished.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts