Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Nissan Titan XD has had a lot of work put into it. It's clear that Nissan doesn't just want a participation ribbon. They want to really compete in the truck segment. A great truck to measure against is the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Up until the introduction of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel there was no diesel available in the full-size pickup segment. Nissan saw that success and set their aim on beating out Ram for that top diesel spot.

The Nissan Titan XD is using an all-new 5.0L Cummins V8 Turbo Diesel. It comes out on top of the Ram's 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel in every measure (though we don't know about fuel economy yet.) The Titan's diesel engine has 310 horsepower, and produces a whopping 555 lb-ft of torque. Compare that to the EcoDiesel that has 240 horsepower, and 420 lb-ft of torque.

When it comes to capability the Titan XD also beats out the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. The Titan's >2,000 lbs payload beats out the 1,620 lbs payload of the Ecodiesel. It also beats it out on towing capacity with the Titan being able to handle >12,000 lbs and the EcoDiesel only capable of 9,200 lbs.

Perhaps Chrysler will be kicking itself for declining Cummins' offer to provide the 5.0L V8 for the Ram 1500.

With the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel receiving a record 8,000 orders in the three days after its launch, Nissan is undoubtedly hoping that they can see similar success by offering the same thing, but bigger. Fuel economy could favor the EcoDiesel, and there will be some who want to go with the smaller size of the EcoDiesel as well, but the US is a country where bigger is better when it comes to trucks. If Nissan can offer the biggest, most capable, and best diesel truck in the segment, Ram should be scared and so should the others in the segment as well.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I think that the ecodiesel is going to win out on economy. Likely by a pretty large margin.

I think the Titan is going to be far more entertaining to drive, encouraging its owner to use those turbos and that V8 power, driving fuel economy down.

·
107 Posts
The cummins 5.0 will be pretty close to the 28 MPG of the Ecodiesel. The 6.7 Cummins got 24.6 MPG hwy, so 26-27 range will be realistic for the 5.0. Just the Turbo design will be a big part of the fuel economy. If my Brick can get 24 MPG at 75 MPH, rev 2800 RPM, the 5.0 will do better!:wink2:

·
107 Posts
In the Video TITAN Truckumentary" Chapter 5: Heart of Cold at 2:37 min, you can see an Ecodiesel in the background, so they are testing the Titan comparing it to the Ecodiesel!

·
313 Posts
You go to the lots and look at EcoDiesel payloads. They are all way under 1500#, often around 1200#.

That's actually true of all RAM 1500s. They have some of the lowest payloads out there, with the EcoD having the lowest. And as soon as you start asking about payload, RAM will steer you to the 2500/3500 series.

The EcoD is really designed as a "grocery-getter" and commuter, with maybe occasional weekend trips to the hardware store. There are folks towing with these things, but they are often over-weight and in-denial, but they do get good mileage.

The truck to compare to the Nissan XD is the F150 with the HD Payload option, but there's no diesel option there. The Nissan XD Cummins is currently the only answer for those of us who want more capability in a diesel truck, but don't need/want the over-kill of the big diesels in the 2500/3500s.

·
857 Posts
In the Video TITAN Truckumentary" Chapter 5: Heart of Cold at 2:37 min, you can see an Ecodiesel in the background, so they are testing the Titan comparing it to the Ecodiesel!
I think this was even the case in some spy shots of the Titan XD.
They're just lucky that RAM came out with the ED when they did, great way to gauge how you stack up to the competition with a new vehicle of their own

·
573 Posts
Will the F-250 be better than the Titan xd because it will have more payload and torque? That's about the same comparison as the Ram to the Titan Xd. We still know nothing on price, ride quality and mpg so it is a bit unfaiur to say that one is "better" than another.

·
16 Posts
We have to define what better is first but I think it will be better no matter how we define it.

It will have similar MPG IMO... If I can get 24MPG with my 2013 6.7l Cummins I'm pretty sure the Titan will do better so that means it will be close to the Ram ED.

It will have better payload. We all know now the Ram 1500 are not real trucks. They have crappy capacity. My 2006 Frontier had 1200+ capacity. Same as today's Ram ED.

The only thing the Ram COULD be better (again, this is subjective) is ride quality, that's it.

If the Titan really has over 2000lbs usable payload capacity with interesting GAWR it will be close to the F250 in term of payload. The F250 are well known for having crappy payload for 3/4 tons (around 2100lbs for loaded SCrew lariat). Just look at those guy pulling 10000lbs 5th wheel riding nose high with their shinny F250. Yep, they look silly! :laugh2:

·
313 Posts
We have to define what better is first but I think it will be better no matter how we define it.

It will have similar MPG IMO... If I can get 24MPG with my 2013 6.7l Cummins I'm pretty sure the Titan will do better so that means it will be close to the Ram ED.

It will have better payload. We all know now the Ram 1500 are not real trucks. They have crappy capacity. My 2006 Frontier had 1200+ capacity. Same as today's Ram ED.

The only thing the Ram COULD be better (again, this is subjective) is ride quality, that's it.

If the Titan really has over 2000lbs usable payload capacity with interesting GAWR it will be close to the F250 in term of payload. The F250 are well known for having crappy payload for 3/4 tons (around 2100lbs for loaded SCrew lariat). Just look at those guy pulling 10000lbs 5th wheel riding nose high with their shinny F250. Yep, they look silly! :laugh2:
Are you really getting 24mpg? Folks on Fuelly.com are under 20 for the most part. Same for all the other big diesels. But on Fuelly, you never know whether the trucks are towing and loaded up or not.

Yeah, fifth wheels and diesel 250/2500s don't really work well because of the payload issue. But many of those guys pulling 5th wheels with an F250, or RAM 2500, have the big gas V8 and much better payload as a result. Heard good things about the new RAM 6.4L V8, except for the gas mileage of course.

·
16 Posts
Are you really getting 24mpg? Folks on Fuelly.com are under 20 for the most part. Same for all the other big diesels. But on Fuelly, you never know whether the trucks are towing and loaded up or not.

Yeah, fifth wheels and diesel 250/2500s don't really work well because of the payload issue. But many of those guys pulling 5th wheels with an F250, or RAM 2500, have the big gas V8 and much better payload as a result. Heard good things about the new RAM 6.4L V8, except for the gas mileage of course.
Well I must admit, I was able to get 24MPG cruising on highway at low speed (65MPH). Now, with the bigger tires, I do worse so yeah, 24MPG is best mileage I can get.

As for payload, I have above 2400lbs on my Ram with the big 6.7l Cummins and GAWR is 6300lbs. A similar equipped F250 has 2100lbs. This, the much nicer interior and the Cummins engine are the reasons I am no longer driving a Ford but a Ram instead.

Cheers

·
313 Posts
2400# payload is what I would like to see in the Titan XD Cummins. Have 2023# now in an F150.

And hopefully 25mpg on a regular basis.

Think my big problem is going to be pricing though. Have been looking around Ontario at dealer prices for the current Titan, and have not been impressed with the discounts.

We've got a big volume Ford dealer nearby (Hanna Ford in Collingwood, ON) who is routinely knocking Can$13-15K off Superduty diesels. Can get a good one for under $50K. I'll bet the Titan XD is initially way over Can$50K. But maybe the prices will drop next year after they've been out for a while ...

·
665 Posts
Sadly I think there is going to be enough demand for the new Titan that Nissan won't have to look at special offers for a while.

·
16 Posts
2400# payload is what I would like to see in the Titan XD Cummins. Have 2023# now in an F150.

And hopefully 25mpg on a regular basis.

Think my big problem is going to be pricing though. Have been looking around Ontario at dealer prices for the current Titan, and have not been impressed with the discounts.

We've got a big volume Ford dealer nearby (Hanna Ford in Collingwood, ON) who is routinely knocking Can$13-15K off Superduty diesels. Can get a good one for under $50K. I'll bet the Titan XD is initially way over Can$50K. But maybe the prices will drop next year after they've been out for a while ...
Just as an FYI, a lot of our Canadians F250/350 are "derated" meaning that they have a 9900 GVWR (anyway, it's that way here in Quebec). This is for the people wanting/needing a HD truck for their business but don't want to have the hassle of having to registered it like a 10000+ GVWR vehicle.

Truck is the same but when you look at the sticker you freak out. I remember seing a F350, King Ranch with an official payload under 2000lbs!

Just saying

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XD will also be the biggest of the Titan models. I wonder if one of the smaller Titan models might get a better fuel economy with a diesel motor still.

Sadly I think there is going to be enough demand for the new Titan that Nissan won't have to look at special offers for a while.
The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel did get sold with incentives because Chrysler has been giving lots of incentives on its vehicles. I don't think the Titan will be in need of incentives though. I have a suspicion that there will be a waiting list at first instead.

·
772 Posts
IMO the xd and the ram eco diesel are apples and oranges. I bet when the xd comes out you will be able to get it with ratings closer to 3k and towing closer to 15k. otherwise its just a fat half ton, not a class on its own between 3/4 and 1/2. if they rate it at 3 and 15k its truly is in its own class.

·
16 Posts
IMO the xd and the ram eco diesel are apples and oranges. I bet when the xd comes out you will be able to get it with ratings closer to 3k and towing closer to 15k. otherwise its just a fat half ton, not a class on its own between 3/4 and 1/2. if they rate it at 3 and 15k its truly is in its own class.
If they rate it at 3k payload at 15k towing it's not a class on it's own... it will be the same as existing 3/4 ton. This will not happen as it will be a 1/2 ton truck... Xtra Duty but still 1/2 ton.

It will be 2000+ and 12000+. We still don't know about precise numbers just yet but expect something close to these numbers.

·
665 Posts
I'm convinced that whatever the exact numbers are, they'll be under what the truck is actually capable of doing.

·
16 Posts
I'm convinced that whatever the exact numbers are, they'll be under what the truck is actually capable of doing.
Of course... like every trucks out there! :devil:

People always have that impression. Scientific word for this syndrome is testosterone effect. It only affects men between 13 and 90.

This is when a guy thinks he can pull a house with a Toyota Tacoma or race a Bugatti Veron with a Honda Civic :laugh2:

Cheers

·
665 Posts
Of course... like every trucks out there! :devil:

People always have that impression. Scientific word for this syndrome is testosterone effect. It only affects men between 13 and 90.

This is when a guy thinks he can pull a house with a Toyota Tacoma or race a Bugatti Veron with a Honda Civic :laugh2:

Cheers
Well it was no testosterone effect when it comes to old Fords. I pulled a 5-ton GMC dump truck out of the mud with a old 390 powered F350(300?) tow truck. Those old engine driven hoist arms have lots of grunt. Front wheels were off the ground, once I got moving the front end came back down.

Ford has a well deserved reputation of being tough. It looks like the Titan is designed with some Ford logic, over built.

·
772 Posts
If they rate it at 3k payload at 15k towing it's not a class on it's own... it will be the same as existing 3/4 ton. This will not happen as it will be a 1/2 ton truck... Xtra Duty but still 1/2 ton.

It will be 2000+ and 12000+. We still don't know about precise numbers just yet but expect something close to these numbers.
really? didnt realize how close half tons were to 3/4.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts