Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always getting asked so figured I would post a couple very non scientific and a little boring to watch videos. I took these going to/from work today in Central Florida so it was hot and humid.

If you don't want to watch the videos the results are below. This is a Titan XD PRO-4x. Windows UP. A/C on. Cruise Control Off. About 700 miles total on the truck. MPG seems to be going up as it breaks in.

HWY test ended at about 19mpg avg going about 70ish mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTl17Z1s-u8

Country Road test ended at about 21mpg avg going about 50ish mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIifk-Nze88

·
1,265 Posts
My Pro4X is getting better...

I have 5300 miles on it now and on my 48 mile one way trip to work, mostly highway, I will occasionally hit 24 mpg. My trip average is 23.3 at 65 mph door to door.

Good enough....

·
77 Posts
I have 5300 miles on it now and on my 48 mile one way trip to work, mostly highway, I will occasionally hit 24 mpg. My trip average is 23.3 at 65 mph door to door.

Good enough....
Is that actually hand calculated or are you going by what the computer says?

·
658 Posts
While I'm sure everyone appreciates individual trip MPG numbers, I think they are the single most misleading thing reported. Individual trips are subject to way to many variables to be taken seriously (see the other post with a pic of 34+ MPG's because he was coasting down the mountains). Also, I would wager the numbers reported above (23.3 MPG) are being reported in a trip that was absent of a regen cycle. Life time MPG is the ONLY thing that can be taken seriously. So far, fuelly.com has 8 Titan XD's reporting (all diesels).

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/titan_xd/2016
"Based on data from 8 vehicles, 82 fuel-ups and 24,767 miles of driving, the 2016 Nissan Titan XD gets a combined Avg MPG of 15.10 with a 0.48 MPG margin of error."

Hopefully, more XD gas versions will make their way to fuelly and we can really get a sense of its fuel mileage.

·
570 Posts
^^^ Agreed. The claims are usually silly and really mean nothing for anyone else who are driving in different conditions. Fuelly reports are much more inline with what the review sites are getting. If you don't want to post on Fuelly, a better way is to the "miles to empty" indicator after a fillup. At least on the Ford F-150, it remembers the average for the last 500 miles, and then calculates based off of that. I will be more convinced if a I see 520 miles to empty on the dash (26 gallon tank x 20 mpg) then any of these claims.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
^^^ Agreed. The claims are usually silly and really mean nothing for anyone else who are driving in different conditions. Fuelly reports are much more inline with what the review sites are getting. If you don't want to post on Fuelly, a better way is to the "miles to empty" indicator after a fillup. At least on the Ford F-150, it remembers the average for the last 500 miles, and then calculates based off of that. I will be more convinced if a I see 520 miles to empty on the dash (26 gallon tank x 20 mpg) then any of these claims.
This thread started a gas MPG but since some are talking diesel. On my diesel
I have seen 835 km on my miles to empty that was right after I did along drive, in what I consider almost perfect conditions(flat ground around 60mph) I got 820 km out of around 90 L of fuel. But that was no regens either.

I don't think the gas will get there. Especially the test drive I took the gas xd on.

But as said one trip in perfect conditions isn't an average. Its not capable of that in my eyes.

As I have stated my average is between 12-12.5L/100km or 19-20 mpg.
That's pretty normal. My average will get close to 12 then regen climb up to mid 12's. Then the next 14-1500km working its way back down to lower 12's.
My regular drive is pretty ideal too. 80km round trip to work a little over 70% of about 60mph hwy drive. I regularly see mid to upper 700km on my km's to empty.

But take it with a grain of salt. In my eyes its a pretty accurate average.

·
363 Posts
I'm not sure how well fuelly.com captures context with those data entries but it's fair to assume some data points for diesel pickup entries should involve towing and hauling. Fuelly.com seems to be setup for grocery getters and hypermilers.

·
363 Posts
I'm always getting asked so figured I would post a couple very non scientific and a little boring to watch videos. I took these going to/from work today in Central Florida so it was hot and humid.

If you don't want to watch the videos the results are below. This is a Titan XD PRO-4x. Windows UP. A/C on. Cruise Control Off. About 700 miles total on the truck. MPG seems to be going up as it breaks in.

HWY test ended at about 19mpg avg going about 70ish mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTl17Z1s-u8

Country Road test ended at about 21mpg avg going about 50ish mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIifk-Nze88
Impressive results. Whenever I get a new vehicle I usually attempt at least one weekend afternoon open road drive for a best mpg number. And like you say, it's usually a slow, boring drive and I don't look forward to doing again anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I'm not sure how well fuelly.com captures context with those data entries but it's fair to assume some data points for diesel pickup entries should involve towing and hauling. Fuelly.com seems to be setup for grocery getters and hypermilers.
With other trucks I logged with fuelly a bit. But with my Canadian numbers not sure if it coverts right there. I always got different numbers as to what would show up on there site.
I use:
http://www3.telus.net/findnchoose/mpg.html
For my L/100km

And to convert to U.S. mpg to post on this forum I use:
http://www.opentoronto.com/calculators/converter_mpg_to_l_per_100km.php

·
658 Posts
I think the type of mileage that is captured on fuelly is going to be reflected by the type of vehicle being tracked and the type of job that vehicle was designed to preform. Basically, I seriously doubt the 8 XD's being tracked on the site are doing anything different than what the regular joes of the XD world are doing.

·
570 Posts
Thanks Atc, that should be 20 mpg under great conditions (as long as the tanksre 26 gallons) and 18 mpg normal, which is good. I had a few 700 mile tanks on my '13 5.0 F150 which came to about 19 mpg with a 36 gallon tank. Most tanks were closer to 650 miles or 17 mpg

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Thanks Atc, that should be 20 mpg under great conditions (as long as the tanksre 26 gallons) and 18 mpg normal, which is good. I had a few 700 mile tanks on my '13 5.0 F150 which came to about 19 mpg with a 36 gallon tank. Most tanks were closer to 650 miles or 17 mpg
Funny you mention the ford 5L as the 820 trip I did. The father in-law also drove his truck the same route with us to the property and back. He has a 2012 f150 5L.

We argued he says he can get 10L/100km out of it. I said yeah in ideal conditions not an average. So we had a friendly bet mine would do better. He did 103L to my 88L.
So at the current price of fuel regular $1.02L and diesel $0.85L
The trip cost me $30 less

·
658 Posts
Funny you mention the ford 5L as the 820 trip I did. The father in-law also drove his truck the same route with us to the property and back. He has a 2012 f150 5L.

We argued he says he can get 10L/100km out of it. I said yeah in ideal conditions not an average. So we had a friendly bet mine would do better. He did 103L to my 88L.
So at the current price of fuel regular $1.02L and diesel $0.85L
The trip cost me $30 less
Here in the land of cotton, gas cost about $2 a gallon right now. Diesel is about $2.10 a gallon. With your same trip and mileage at our rates, you would have saved about $6 (that is if I did all m math correctly).

103L = 27.21 US gal (approx) X $2.00 = $54.40 (approx)
88L = 23.25 US gal (approx) X $2.10 = $48.80 (approx)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Here in the land of cotton, gas cost about $2 a gallon right now. Diesel is about $2.10 a gallon. With your same trip and mileage at our rates, you would have saved about $6 (that is if I did all m math correctly).

103L = 27.21 US gal (approx) X $2.00 = $54.40 (approx)
88L = 23.25 US gal (approx) X $2.10 = $48.80 (approx)
Where you are and what your current fuel prices are at, it makes it a little harder to justify the extra cost of the diesel option. Diesel has been a quite a bit cheaper then gas for a while.

·
430 Posts
Where you are and what your current fuel prices are at, it makes it a little harder to justify the extra cost of the diesel option. Diesel has been a quite a bit cheaper then gas for a while.
Here in the states, diesel is cheaper in some areas, but that's definitely not the norm. I just went to New Mexico for a week and diesel was about 30 cents more than regular gas. Seems like they are sticking it to the truckers.

·
124 Posts
Im sure I will get flamed for saying this, but these conversations over gas vs diesel has me scratching my head.

Comment like "Where you are and what your current fuel prices are at, it makes it a little harder to justify the extra cost of the diesel option."

The duty requirements on the truck is what should be the #1 deciding factor on which engine option is recommended as they both have advantages over the other. If diesel fuel cost more then gas, that still doesn't mean gas is the better choice, or vice versa.

Under load with all things equal, a diesel should easily see better mpgs over gas. Maximum torque is reached at a low 1600 rpm compared to 4,000 rpm for the gas. This fact alone allows the diesel to operate more efficiently helping to off set the cost should fuel be more expensive. If your going to routinely tow extreme loads, again, the diesel reigns supreme as the engine simply wont be over worked as the gas engine would helping to save fuel.

If towing isn't your priority, then thats when the benefits start swinging towards the gas. With the engine weighting far less, that reduced weight increases your payload allowing you to haul more. Better put, even if gas is more expensive then diesel, the gas is the better option as it can haul more which is your main priority.

For some reason, a lot of guys swing one way or the other mainly based on cost. I fully expect the biggest tool in my tool box to perform the task it was purchased to do, regardless what it cost is while performing it. This is where the "get the right tool for the job" comes from.

·
167 Posts
Im sure I will get flamed for saying this, but these conversations over gas vs diesel has me scratching my head.

Comment like "Where you are and what your current fuel prices are at, it makes it a little harder to justify the extra cost of the diesel option."

The duty requirements on the truck is what should be the #1 deciding factor on which engine option is recommended as they both have advantages over the other. If diesel fuel cost more then gas, that still doesn't mean gas is the better choice, or vice versa.

Under load with all things equal, a diesel should easily see better mpgs over gas. Maximum torque is reached at a low 1600 rpm compared to 4,000 rpm for the gas. This fact alone allows the diesel to operate more efficiently helping to off set the cost should fuel be more expensive. If your going to routinely tow extreme loads, again, the diesel reigns supreme as the engine simply wont be over worked as the gas engine would helping to save fuel.

If towing isn't your priority, then thats when the benefits start swinging towards the gas. With the engine weighting far less, that reduced weight increases your payload allowing you to haul more. Better put, even if gas is more expensive then diesel, the gas is the better option as it can haul more which is your main priority.

For some reason, a lot of guys swing one way or the other mainly based on cost. I fully expect the biggest tool in my tool box to perform the task it was purchased to do, regardless what it cost is while performing it. This is where the "get the right tool for the job" comes from.
I couldn't have said it better.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts

The comment was made because the argument is always brought up. "Is the extra cost of the diesel worth it and how long will it take to justify the cost difference"

I agree with what you said. For me it's an added bonus that 5L gets better mpg and the diesel fuel is substantially cheaper in my area.

As far as a need/want for the diesel and does it suit my needs for use. It's kind of all of the above scenario. But the diesel option is definitely justified for my needs. The other side of that I'm at a point in my life, I just plain wanted it and I got it.
With that being said if it was averaging 13 mpg I would get rid of it. I can't justify throwing extra money out the tail pipe. But economy exceeded my expectations so it's a win in every way.

·
348 Posts
My gas Pro4X does about the same. Have only had it on a couple highway trips so far. 90% driving so far has been 6 mile in town trips. I have noticed that the trip mileage seems to be increasing with break in, only 880 miles. Right now it is averaging 13.5. Same central FL weather.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts