Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 XD diesel with only 18K miles. I was in stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes when I began to notice the throttle lag was getting worse and worse until the throttle became "totally" unresponsive. The truck would idle but nothing more. I cycled the engine OFF and ON a few times but nothing helped. No warning lights. Had to get towed to the dealer (after hours).

Of course the next morning the dealer started the truck and it ran fine and and no fault codes. They had it for 2 weeks calling all over the nation and come up with no answer. The dealer said they had another XD 2017 diesel do the exact same thing a few weeks prior and they also could not figure out what happened either. WTH 🤷‍♀️

Has anyone heard of this issue? It's been running fine since that day but I'm a little paranoid it will happen again. Love the truck otherwise.

Slen
Arizona

·
631 Posts
The Titan has throttle by wire and the ECU must get permission from the TCU in order to increase speed and torque to the transmission. The torque management system will not allow torque to be applied to the transmission unless the transmission is "ready" for it, and the TCU tells the ECU the maximum amount of torque it will accept.

One reason for the terrible throttle lag is that this negotiation takes a long time, and a really long time if the transmission is busy doing stuff like shifting or changing pressures.

One thing that might cause the throttle to become completely unresponsive is a loss of pressure inside the transmission. If the trans fluid pressure is not high enough to be firmly in gear, the TCU may prohibit the ECU from applying torque.

Just theory, but I might check the trans fluid and make sure it's not low or contaminated/burnt.

·
3 Posts
My 16 did basically the same thing. I drove it for two weeks after it left me stranded in traffic and was towed to the dealership. Dealership didn’t find anything wrong with it. After two weeks of running fine I hooked a trailer behind it. A few miles down the road, maybe 5 or 6, the cel and reduced power warning light came on and it started missing. I made it back to the house unhooked the trailer and parked it. Drove straight to the dealership the next morning and wouldn’t you know it, it ran fine and no warning lights. I told them to keep until they figure it out. To make a long story short, the turbo actuator and fuel strainer(aka lift pump) were bad and need replacing. No more issues after that. I’d suggest putting a load behind it and see how it runs. I had several issues out of the 16 but really liked the truck. So, I recently traded it for a 19. We’ll see how this one does.

·
13 Posts
I have a 2018 XD diesel with only 18K miles. I was in stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes when I began to notice the throttle lag was getting worse and worse until the throttle became "totally" unresponsive. The truck would idle but nothing more. I cycled the engine OFF and ON a few times but nothing helped. No warning lights. Had to get towed to the dealer (after hours).

Of course the next morning the dealer started the truck and it ran fine and and no fault codes. They had it for 2 weeks calling all over the nation and come up with no answer. The dealer said they had another XD 2017 diesel do the exact same thing a few weeks prior and they also could not figure out what happened either. WTH 🤷‍♀️

Has anyone heard of this issue? It's been running fine since that day but I'm a little paranoid it will happen again. Love the truck otherwise.

Slen
Arizona
Had a lever linkage and rod replaced. Mind would get hot and transmission would do crazy stuff in slow traffic. I was just glad i was not pulling my camper and it was crazy, cause they could not pull the code up in NC when I got back so I had to take it back to SC to get it fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts