Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the low fuel pressure warning. Truck won't start. I go through the basics like fuel filters, lift pump fuse was blown and pops after replacement. I check the harness and all
looks good. Truck is 17 still under warranty. I get it to the dealer. They confirm the lift pump is bad. Now comes the problem. They said there are no lift pumps available anywhere. They have two trucks ahead of me waiting on pumps. One has been since November 2020. Cannot even tell me when they will get them. Does anybody have the P/N? Any advice on how to deal with Nissan corporate?

·
173 Posts
How many miles on your truck? Hopefully it is less than 36k, because the fuel pump is considered part of the emissions system and covered under the basic 3/36 warranty. Kinda shocking that the lift pump is on back order. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Once the "tech" finally, after almost a month in the shop, figured out it was the lift pump, it only took them a couple of days to get the part in.
Hopefully your warranty ends up covering it and you aren't stuck with the bill like I was. But just in case, might wanna think about this:

·
367 Posts
Tom, yes...can't see how it is a very robust pump in that small space in the housing, but it is what it is....

·
255 Posts
I had the plastic cone that holds the lift pump break. It was stuck inside the filter element and I made the mistake of giving the filter a little twist. Expensive mistake. I wasn't able to find the crappy little plastic cone anywhere. To get one you had to order the entire filter housing as shown in the photo above. You'll notice the picture doesn't show the cone or the lift pump. That housing is almost $600 discounted. I found one off a wrecked XD on the big auction site. Cost me $350. but it was complete with the cone and the lift pump.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles on your truck? Hopefully it is less than 36k, because the fuel pump is considered part of the emissions system and covered under the basic 3/36 warranty. Kinda shocking that the lift pump is on back order. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Once the "tech" finally, after almost a month in the shop, figured out it was the lift pump, it only took them a couple of days to get the part in.
Hopefully your warranty ends up covering it and you aren't stuck with the bill like I was. But just in case, might wanna think about this:

65K They stated it was covered. The pump is backordered with no ETA of delivery. I had to actually spend days on the phone calling every dealership to find one. I did and I had to coordinate the dealer to dealer exchange. Pretty sad when the customer has to do the tracking down and coordinate the parts exchange, but I am not the type to accept "your truck might sit here for months".

·
173 Posts
Wow! That is crazy! My '16 had only 58k when my pump went out, and Nissan told me to kick rocks. But I would still ask for it in writing that they said it will be covered. I'm skeptical by nature, though.

·
2017 Titan XD Pro4x
4 Posts
I have no low pressure warnings or anything, but I noticed a leak in this same area. I just bought the truck used a couple of weeks ago. I counted the drips, and I’m losing the equivalent of 0.037 gal/hr at idle! That’s 4.7 ounces per hour. Not an insignificant amount! I’m going to check with the dealer here and see if they will cover it under warranty, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s at 59.8k miles. In the meantime, is this truck safe to drive anywhere? Am I risking damage to other fuel system components? Could I potentially remove and check for any loose fittings? Or just let it lie until I can take to the dealer on Monday? I’ve attached a picture for reference.
0F6C7AB6-18A6-4D4D-8616-931937AF93DE.jpeg

The reason I ask about driving it is because I live in the sticks and we’ve had some significant snowfall the past few days. It’s my only 4WD.

·
173 Posts
Is the leak coming from the filter housing? If so, might check for cross threading or replace the gasket as it might have gotten torqued down too hard and torn.

·
2017 Titan XD Pro4x
4 Posts
Little back story: I just bought the ‘17 5.0 a couple weeks ago from a Hyundai dealership. They had no idea about the truck and weren’t able to tell me much. I’m slowly uncovering poor maintenance and trying to rectify.

I replaced lower filter and O-ring with a cheapo while I was waiting on my Fleetguards to see if I could get the leak to stop. It didn’t. And in priming and attempting to start, ending up killing both batteries. They look like they were the original batteries. Replaced those. Finally got it to prime and start. Had a date with the dealership for other warranty issues so I told them I put in a new filter and it was still leaking. Said he couldn’t address the possible leak until he put Nissan filters in. Of course once he replaced them, he says the leak is gone. We’ll see when I pick it up tomorrow. If that’s the case then great, but also frustrating I could have waited two days and solved the problem a lot cheaper. At least I’ve got an extra set of fleetguards now.

·
986 Posts
The direction the filter housing is sitting in the picture makes it appear that the housing wasn't tightened all the way. May just be the angle the picture was taken at.

·
595 Posts
Little back story: I just bought the ‘17 5.0 a couple weeks ago from a Hyundai dealership. They had no idea about the truck and weren’t able to tell me much. I’m slowly uncovering poor maintenance and trying to rectify.

I replaced lower filter and O-ring with a cheapo while I was waiting on my Fleetguards to see if I could get the leak to stop. It didn’t. And in priming and attempting to start, ending up killing both batteries. They look like they were the original batteries. Replaced those. Finally got it to prime and start. Had a date with the dealership for other warranty issues so I told them I put in a new filter and it was still leaking. Said he couldn’t address the possible leak until he put Nissan filters in. Of course once he replaced them, he says the leak is gone. We’ll see when I pick it up tomorrow. If that’s the case then great, but also frustrating I could have waited two days and solved the problem a lot cheaper. At least I’ve got an extra set of fleetguards now.
Although it may not have been the filter brand itself that resulted in the fix these trucks have proven to be particularly sensitive to improperly seated seals/o-rings/filters and it seems that even slight misalignment, folding or pinching of the seals can result in leaks and low fuel pressure problems. I've heard more than a few say "I was very careful and sure I got it seated and tighten properly" only to find on disassembly that the seal was kinked or bent or slightly nicked at some point. Very frustrating all around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
4 Posts
For folks that replaced their fuel pump, did that fix the no start due to low fuel pressure? The pump was replaced before I bought my XD and I'm still having no start issues. Love the truck but fed up with these no start fuel issues.

·
173 Posts
For folks that replaced their fuel pump, did that fix the no start due to low fuel pressure? The pump was replaced before I bought my XD and I'm still having no start issues. Love the truck but fed up with these no start fuel issues.
Not for me. When my truck was in the shop because of the lift pump, the tech actually replaced the HPP as well. He did that because he thought that was the issue. When it didn't fix it, and really it wasn't until the engineer from Nissan was flown out and figured out what the problem was, then he replaced the lift pump. I still have low pressure issues if the tank gets down to 1/8 or below after having both the lift pump and the HPP replaced..

·
4 Posts
So frustrating. So - as long as you keep it above 1/4 fuel, you have no issues? It’s a bad ass truck when it runs. It’s not started four times this past seven days. And the pump has already been replaced once.

·
173 Posts
Exactly. I've had to train myself to not let it get much below 1/4. Sometimes that's easier said than done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts