Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering trading my XD 5.0 for a XD gas truck. Are there any known issues with the 7 speed? For those that tow heavy what kind of MPG are you getting?

·
1,082 Posts
I am considering trading my XD 5.0 for a XD gas truck. Are there any known issues with the 7 speed? For those that tow heavy what kind of MPG are you getting?
If you are considering the gasser dont even pay attention to fuel mileage towing lol. If you are gonna be towing over about 7k you won't ever see better than about 7 or 8 mpg. Nature of the beast with a gasser towing. The big 3 3/4 ton gassers are no better.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
My GMC 8.1 w/Allison got 10/11 whether I was towing or not.

Yeah I'm not expecting good milage with this little 5.6, but I don't really care.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hell 8mpg or so is not bad. Anyone having any issues with the tranny in the gassers that tow ?

·
343 Posts
my 17 XD gas had a horrible trans flutter that has been in numerous previous discussions on here. Nissan put a new trans in it and it still didn't help. My 19 regular Titan now that it has gotten a 1000 or so miles on it has started the damn flutter. I swear it feels exactly like a fuel pressure/flow problem and would make sense being when the flutter happens. when I mentioned it to Nissan service they looked at me like I was on crack. Got tired of messing with them. Let them drop 12k on the trans and then traded it for another flutter queen. This ones a lease I'll ride out and turn in when it's over and move on I guess. With all that said check the trans out real good, cruise around town 40-50 mph and you will fell it and see the tach bouncing if it's there. Especially when it changes gears. Some have this issue and some don't,check it out though.

·
76 Posts
8mpg with my 5th wheel. The worst part about that is having to stop every 2.5 hours to fill up. And don't suggest I install an additional tank in the bed. My payload is all taken with hitch wt, people and some gear...

·
202 Posts
I have towed twice with my Titan Xd. First time around 7500 pounds and experienced the transmission flutter. Second time was when I had around 30000 miles in the engine and after I had performed the factory software update. Towed again around 7500 pounds from FL to TX and pulled like a dream.

·
101 Posts
I've got an 18 gasser, towed my previous toy hauler about 8K loaded for about 2500 miles, no issues and about 8 to 9 mpg, bought a new toy hauler 10K loaded in June, towed it to SD and back about 3400 miles, got between 7 and 8 mpg, no issues, it tows great in tow mode. Like the previous, the only downfall is the small fuel tank, but it gives my wife a chance to walk and do what wife's do at fuel stops. 😀 --- I am really happy with my truck so far, It just rolled over the 12K miles and no issues what so ever !!

·
77 Posts
If constantly uphill, sure. Pulling my 28ft tandem axle Haulmark cargo trailer (5k dry) loaded with the buggy, gear and fuel etc for a total of at least 8k lbs I get around 11mpg on flats. Uphill changes that quite a bit, but I get back to good on the way back down.

If you are considering the gasser dont even pay attention to fuel mileage towing lol. If you are gonna be towing over about 7k you won't ever see better than about 7 or 8 mpg. Nature of the beast with a gasser towing. The big 3 3/4 ton gassers are no better.

·
77 Posts
Forgot to mention, I'm in a 2019 Pro4X gasser with airbags. No trans flutter, no issues whatsoever so far. I'm at 8k already, about half of that towing at least 7k.

If constantly uphill, sure. Pulling my 28ft tandem axle Haulmark cargo trailer (5k dry) loaded with the buggy, gear and fuel etc for a total of at least 8k lbs I get around 11mpg on flats. Uphill changes that quite a bit, but I get back to good on the way back down.

·
580 Posts
Pulling with the 5.6 gasser in my Armada is what made me decide to get the Titan in diesel haha

·
77 Posts
I drove one, just felt like it couldn't get out of its own way HP wise. I'm sure they tow great, but I'd be worrying if i needed to pass or accelerate quickly. I was probably over reacting. What year was the Armada?

·
580 Posts
I drove one, just felt like it couldn't get out of its own way HP wise. I'm sure they tow great, but I'd be worrying if i needed to pass or accelerate quickly. I was probably over reacting. What year was the Armada?
It's a 2012. I still have it but for towing there's just no comparing it to the diesel.

·
98 Posts
There are a couple YouTube videos comparing the 5.0 vs the 5.6 towing mileage. Seems like on average the diesel gets 1 maybe 2 better MPG while towing. As for the 7 speed transmission I read a bit about it. From what I gather this is the same transmission in the Titan, however it has a larger ATF capacity and more cooling capabilities. So far I've only towed a 3500 lb boat, of course no issues with that, but it tows night and day better than my F150 did. I have 265/65/20 tires on it and I'm averaging 17 on the highway going about 70. Not bad for the size of the truck. Also, keep in mind this engine has more torque and power or it's about equal with the gas F250s to 2016. 2017 they got slightly more torque. Point being power is not an issue. I went with the gas bc I kept reading of Regen/epa issues and the fact that it sounds like every Nissan dealership is clueless what to do with the diesel (can't blame them as it's the first one they're running). However, the fact that the engine is discontinued in my opinion means it will be harder and harder to find a competent dealer. At least the gas is the same engine in base Titan/Armada.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Black Friday was my last day to own a diesel. I had been talking to a salesman Jaime Garcia at Ed Hicks Nissan for about 2 months off/on. I got a fair deal trading my 18' 5.0, got a 19 Pro4x XD 5.6. I hauled my mustang to the drag strip today, about 100 miles each way. The 5.6 pulled fine at 75mph and some over that when I could. Not heavy load by any means. I should be pulling a decent load/weight this coming weekend. If anyone is the area, I highly recommend Jaime to deal with

·
324 Posts
I have a 17 ProX gasser, the unloaded version with a payload of 2259. I pulled a 8k travel trailer with and it honestly didn’t care that it was there. Traded that in back in September for 2020 Rockwood 296MB 5er. Pulls the hell out of it and sitting right at 10k loaded with a 1500lb pin weight. I went with a Andersen Ultimate hitch to save weight and payload. I am getting 7.5mpg with the 5er and I got 9-10 with the TT. Transmission does fine, no issues and I have 65k on my truck.

·
76 Posts
I just got back from a week out with my 5th wheel. 8500# with 20 to 25 mph cross winds for the ride home. Our SL gasser didn't even know there was a breeze. It was my first time towing in stiff winds. I admit to being nervous at the start. My wife and I even talked about staying an extra day to wait for the winds to die down.

Glad we didn't. I have confidence in this truck...

·
77 Posts
I sometimes tow almost 13k with this cargo trailer and get around 10-11 in the flat areas. Normally I'm about 9k with two off road buggies and gear. I get around 12-13 with that weight. This pic is loaded to that amount, and i have the airbags at 40 lbs. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Pro4x was the squat with around 1500 bumper tow weight. Airbags changed everything.

·
1,082 Posts
I sometimes tow almost 13k with this cargo trailer and get around 10-11 in the flat areas. Normally I'm about 9k with two off road buggies and gear. I get around 12-13 with that weight. This pic is loaded to that amount, and i have the airbags at 40 lbs. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Pro4x was the squat with around 1500 bumper tow weight. Airbags changed everything. View attachment 44197
How slow are you going to get those mpg's lol cause your mileage is even 2-3 mpg better than our diesels and way higher than the other gassers

1 - 20 of 56 Posts